Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

49 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

EQ is the clear front-runner at the 4th spot for me right now based on draft pedigree and what we've seen on the field so far.

MVS and Moore aren't too far behind though and a lot can change in these next two weeks.  If G-Mo is gonna be beat out it will happen during this preseason game and these two weeks of practice.  What you want to see is "guy getting a chance" talk this week, a good preseason showing, and "really running with it talk" going into game 3.  Then you want to see him start game 3.

Otherwise, you're gonna be talking about at least a 4-6 game stretch where Allison is the starter and the young guys are just cycling in (similar to what we had with Montgomery and Jones/Williams) last year.

Surprised you like EQ over MVS with this group. EQ is really the only one of the kids we've seen not make plays deep down the field. He's looked the most developed I would agree, but MVS just has that deep ball potential.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Surprised you like EQ over MVS with this group. EQ is really the only one of the kids we've seen not make plays deep down the field. He's looked the most developed I would agree, but MVS just has that deep ball potential.

If we didn't have this staff and this qb, in a vacuum I prefer Moore.  I have seen the most polish from EQ, which is what this team really really favors.  I think EQ coming into the draft showed enough that I don't need to see the Deep stuff in preseason, especially since lots of deep shots in preseason would never get thrown by 12 anyway.

Little bit of Graham Harrell to Jarrett Boykin  or old Ruvell Martin Deep shots come to mind when we watch preseason deep shots.  They often just don't translate.

MVS made the least sense as a draft pick to me, which is always gonna bias me when a guy is still a rookie.  I like his tools on STs though.  He has a chance to stick long term just as a Janis replacement.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

If we didn't have this staff and this qb, in a vacuum I prefer Moore.  I have seen the most polish from EQ, which is what this team really really favors.  I think EQ coming into the draft showed enough that I don't need to see the Deep stuff in preseason, especially since lots of deep shots in preseason would never get thrown by 12 anyway.

Little bit of Graham Harrell to Jarrett Boykin  or old Ruvell Martin Deep shots come to mind when we watch preseason deep shots.  They often just don't translate.

MVS made the least sense as a draft pick to me, which is always gonna bias me when a guy is still a rookie.  I like his tools on STs though.  He has a chance to stick long term just as a Janis replacement.

I get what you're saying on the deep shots not always translating, but I think there's a difference in a guy like MVS who clearly has the physical skillset for it and a guy like Boykin who was downright deficient. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I get what you're saying on the deep shots not always translating, but I think there's a difference in a guy like MVS who clearly has the physical skillset for it and a guy like Boykin who was downright deficient. 

Yeah for sure.  The issue I have is that when Boykin can get open... it's hard to see what you're seeing with a guy who theoretically can do it.

31 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Have they really given him an opportunity? Only thing I can think of is family night when Rodgers missed him for the TD. He was one of the most productive college deep threat so I don't really see it as an issue.

Also the fact that's he's been out there with MVS and Kumerow and they're playing him in the slot probably hurts his chances too.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Have they really given him an opportunity? Only thing I can think of is family night when Rodgers missed him for the TD. He was one of the most productive college deep threat so I don't really see it as an issue.

Also the fact that's he's been out there with MVS and Kumerow and they're playing him in the slot probably hurts his chances too.

Not saying he can't make plays, just saying we haven't seen it. We've seen MVS go up and get one out of the slot against the Titans. 

37 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

If we didn't have this staff and this qb, in a vacuum I prefer Moore.  I have seen the most polish from EQ, which is what this team really really favors. 

I'm belaboring this, I think, but it still strikes me as unexpected that the "most polish" guy is most polished (and already has the best hands), despite being two years younger.   Clearly MVS has speed and explosion that Eq and Moore don't.  And I think Moore has flexibility and bend that the others don't.  So each guy has his own advantages.  But I think polish/smarts/route-tree/hands are pretty significant assets that shouldn't be undervalued?  

I'm rather excited about this rookie class of receivers. I easily have JMo, EQ, and MVS as the 3rd, 4th, and 5th best prospects we've added at the position in the draft in the last decade. Heck as much as I loved Cobb as a prospect objectively I wouldn't really argue if you put all three ahead of him based on ceilings because Cobb was pretty much limited to being a slot receiver. They're in a great spot to succeed with AR, MM, and Philbin. Hope they take full advantage of it. While unlikely they all do even if just two do we could have something special.

Boy how things have changed around here.  I was excited with these guys the moment they were drafted.  Got shot down by numerous guys citing draft position.  Lot of they are trash comments.  Now it's gone too far the other way IMO.  Great to be excited but these guys are rooks.  So temper expectations for this year anyway.  Least favorite of the three was MVS.  Now he's making the biggest splash.  Go figure.  Hopefully Aaron's piss poor comments lit a fire under some of these guys.  Kumerow  was a nice story but thought of him as a camp body.   Now it looks like he might actually have a legitimate shot at making the 53.  

We clearly have an abundance of unproven talent.  Whoever gains Aaron's trust will get some playing time.  Never liked Davis not even as a punt returner.  Poor decisions so don't throw stats in my face I don't care. With the hammy he's been missing a lot of time.  Guy was on the bubble to begin with now he's probably toast.  Penciled Moore in opposite of Adams with Cobb in the slot.  Not sure this will be the case anymore.  EQ and MVS both have outperformed him so far.  Still early in the process so we'll see.  

Adams, Cobb, EQ, MVS, Moore are going to make the squad.  Allison, Kumerow, Davis, and Yancey will be fighting for the remaining 1 or possibly 2 spots.  Personally I think Kumerow has a good shot of unseating Allison.  He's assignment sure and is more athletic.  Yancey is having a nice camp by all reports.  Poor guy is a victim of numbers.  Had we not drafted so many receivers he might have made it.  He'll be on the practice squad again this season.  What will the Packers do?  Probably keep 6 guys.  Allison will get the last spot and they will try to keep Kumerow along with Yancey on the PS.  Best guess.  Not what I would do though.  I'd keep Kumerow as he has a higher upside.   I really don't know if Davis or Allison have any trade value.  Probably not.  If we could swing a deal for a conditional late round pick that would sweet.

Most interesting position group battle in camp.  

can just tell you what I’ve seen at practice and (in) meeting rooms, and he seems to be progressing really well,” Rodgers said. “What helps him is he plays fast. He gets off the ball quickly, he gets on top of defenders, he’s made contested catches — obviously a couple in the game that were really nice.

“For a young player to progress, it’s about consistency. So you want to see that type of consistency daily. I think those guys have all had a good few days of practice. I think ‘EQ’ has done some really nice things this week; J’Mon has done some nice things as well. I think once you get that first game out of the way and they’re getting rid of the nerves associated with it, they realize, ‘Oh, I can play in this league.’ The next week of practice seems to be a little more comfortable for them. And I think you’ve seen that this week with those guys.’’

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/rookie-receiver-marquez-valdes-scantling-hopes-global-view-of-packers/article_b2bf0bb7-48ed-50db-98b5-f8e2d0c75bd1.html

Still think some people are maybe getting their hopes up a little too high for these receivers based on their preseason performances.  Playing with a backup QB against vanilla second team defenses in the preseason is a completely different experience than regular season with particularly picky Rodgers. 

Jeff Janis had 2 catches for 67 yards and 2 touchdowns in his first preseason.  Made the team.  Special teams. 
Yancey had 3 catches for 67 yards in his first preseason game.  Still got cut.
Davis had 4 catches for 45 yards in his first preseason.  Made the team... Special teams value.

Don't think all three of Moore, St. Brown and MVS make the team like everybody here seems to assume.

Still think it will be Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, and three of Kumerow, St. Brown, MVS, Moore based solely on experience and special teams value. 

I don’t really care about the deep shots either; reason being all of these new guys are fast and talk they should win deep balls more often than not and that is what they are good at already, what we need from them is to win on their routes, get of the line and create separation at the top. So that’s what I look for and that’s why I like EQ at this point. 

Archived