Week 2 Postgame - Bears Owned 27-10

mikebpackfan

My thoughts on the game....

• When you open up the game on offense and have to use a trick play, you are in for a long night.
  • Both teams proved once again that offensive linemen LOVE to run block.
  • Jenkins is feeling his way into the game.  Great on run sets.  Up and down on pass sets.  Still, he steadied that line and he was a straight up killer in the run game.
  • Myers.  Give me about 20 more starts from him and I feel like he will be an elite center.  Right now he's so up and down.  All world one play, Jake Hanson on the next.
  • Newman.  I can't figure him out.  He's great 7 out of 10 times, and putrid on the other three times.  Run or pass.
  • Specials....long snapper getting it back there nicely, clean holds, Crosby is Crosby.
  • Said it in the Amari Rodgers thread, there is nothing he can bring to the offense that Watson and Doubs couldn't do.  And we are seeing it.  Those jet sweeps?  Maybe Amari gets 4 or 5 on the 9 yarder...but that's a big loss on the one where Watson got lit up.
  • Watson....dude....don't let yourself get stood up on a hit.  Bad things happen.  Get down, son.
  • Doubs...thought he earned more reps and targets after taking a screen for 20 and showing a lot of toughness and skill in doing so.
  • Lewis...Jesus, is that guy ever fun to watch block!
  • P with a great game.
  • Gary drew a lot of attention and still had splash plays.
  • Quay....more of a down game than an up game for him.  They ran at him and he became flat footed a few times.
  • Savage looked poor.  Dude is not progressing much.  Missed a few tackles that he should have made.  He needs to play better, period.
  • Sammy Watkins sure looks quick on his releases.
  • Cobb still loves playing the Bears.
  • Rodgers still owns the Bears.
  • Finally, I'll give some credit here.  The Bears are not as talented, as players, as GB.  But they played really, really hard.  They are buying what their coach is selling right now.  There was only one guy who I thought wasn't totally into the game.  Fields.  Maybe that's just how he looks, but he did not look engaged while on the field.
  • Like 5

I'm glad this team didn't make me regret shelling [REDACTED]-plus for tickets to this game!

The most disconcerting thing that I can find as far as this team's overall play goes is the lack of threat we display on downfield passes. Apart from that late bomb to Sammy in the 4th(when the game appeared to be well-decided), the team struggled passing in any capacity other than out on the flats or screens. Just about any reception not of that particular category, especially the ones for key first downs, were all in coverages that most would regard as 'tight', and looked as if the needle had to be thread expertly. I don't think we're going to get multi-dimensional until we start getting comfortable with the rookies on routes beyond five yards, to be honest.

As far as defense goes, it kind of helps that the Bears were reluctant to air it out for much of the game, though getting our guts gouged out by their rushing attack was very unpleasant to see. Granted, much of that was against a 3-3 defense with one edge rusher and a tandem of Reed/Slaton/Lowry on the line, so that seems to be a slight weakness.

Apart from Amari's drop, ST has been very rock solid these first two weeks. The coverage units were especially good this go-around. It's like they've really been given more PT time than in prior seasons.

Edited by Zycho32

25 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I'm glad this team didn't make me regret shelling [REDACTED]-plus for tickets to this game!

The most disconcerting thing that I can find as far as this team's overall play goes is the lack of threat we display on downfield passes. Apart from that late bomb to Sammy in the 4th(when the game appeared to be well-decided), the team struggled passing in any capacity other than out on the flats or screens. Just about any reception not of that particular category, especially the ones for key first downs, were all in coverages that most would regard as 'tight', and looked as if the needle had to be thread expertly. I don't think we're going to get multi-dimensional until we start getting comfortable with the rookies on routes beyond five yards, to be honest.

As far as defense goes, it kind of helps that the Bears were reluctant to air it out for much of the game, though getting our guts gouged out by their rushing attack was very unpleasant to see. Granted, much of that was against a 3-3 defense with one edge rusher and a tandem of Reed/Slaton/Lowry on the line, so that seems to be a slight weakness.

Apart from Amari's drop, ST has been very rock solid these first two weeks. The coverage units were especially good this go-around. It's like they've really been given more PT time than in prior seasons.

I was waiting for us to go downfield more as well.

But...after wanting it, I watched the game and asked myself, "Why?"

And that's the reason we didn't do it more.  We simply did not have to.  

We didn't score much in the second half because we had two boneheaded fumbles.  Lost one.  And the second one effective killed the drive.

But those runs were getting 8 yards a pop.  Breaking one and really, one slipped tackle away from breaking others.

When something like that is working, and you have a nice lead, and you are playing Justin Fields, there's no reason to risk a deeper throw.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Weren't the Bears in 2-high a lot?  That's the "don't throw deep on us" defense, which you respond by running and targeting the flats and intermediate routes.

They were single high safety on most first downs to try to limit the run game.

I saw it on later downs, too.

Their unblocked guy, be him a safety or slot was just whiffing on the Jones runs.

The good takeaway that I saw was Watson running deep stuff.  He usually took the safety and the corner with him.

Now...I saw that happen often, and thought it sure would be nice to have Doubs on an intermediate crosser after Watson takes a corner and safety really deep.  Sure would like to see that in a later game if we see that coverage again.

6 hours ago, R T said:

Somebody pissed in your Cheerios this morning did they. 

i like to keep it even keel and stack successes (you overlook my positive comments about rodg/jones td and rodg/doubs mistake), but im not afraid to call it out when the pad level is not low enough

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

They were single high safety on most first downs to try to limit the run game.

I saw it on later downs, too.

Their unblocked guy, be him a safety or slot was just whiffing on the Jones runs.

The good takeaway that I saw was Watson running deep stuff.  He usually took the safety and the corner with him.

Now...I saw that happen often, and thought it sure would be nice to have Doubs on an intermediate crosser after Watson takes a corner and safety really deep.  Sure would like to see that in a later game if we see that coverage again.

it wasn't doubs, but watkins had a grab like that. rodgers was able to get the ball over the linebackers and watkins went right up for it. was a nice play.

on lazard's td the cb clearly was trying to avoid being blocked. pretty neat to watch him set himself up like that.

37 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

it wasn't doubs, but watkins had a grab like that. rodgers was able to get the ball over the linebackers and watkins went right up for it. was a nice play...

Yeah, that ball was fast and coming in high, and Watkins made a very nice clean catch.  

zach jacobson -    Bears Twitter is eating itself...

• MikeyBets (Chicago’s left Armpit) -    The ****!? This loss hurts for Bears fans just as much as the players. Players come and go, Fans are here forever. We put in the work watching a crumb bum franchise that has given us NOTHING in 37 years. We buy your jerseys, we put the butts in the stands. You’re on thin ice pal