NFLPA investigating handling of Dolphins QB Tagovailoa’s concussion check

RaidersAreOne

The same thing happened to Tom Savage in 2017. I remember it well since it was one of Jimmy G's first starts. Savage got laid out in that game, and had the "fencing" response. Very disturbing. I think he tried to even get back in the game, and later on he actually was back in the game. Now Bill O'Brien tried to do some..."damage control" on his behalf later on in his presser, but yeah regardless it was a terrible look. But nothing like this firestorm now came of it. Not that suffering is a competition, but I do have to think that the primetime effect, not having two cellar-dweller teams square off, and the fact that it was 4 days later boosted the backlash. Still, shame on the NFL for not acting as briskly then as it is now. 

10 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

According to my friends daughter (take it for what you will, but she works a floor above where he was) the doctors didn't think he should leave.  Even if he checked himself out, who in their right mind puts him on a plane when his body possibly can't regulate his body's ability to adjust to the extreme pressure changes?

FWIW there are studies which show travel doesn’t affect outcome.   I would caution that since recovery is almost always the outcome for someone well enough to travel - the endpoints and study size may be far too small to pick up any increased risk.    Common sense and physiology would argue to wait.   Just keep in mind the available data doesn’t support this (but it’s stlll a legit concern given the physiology).  

On the flip side, avoiding exercise, screen time and driving in the first 48 hrs has been demonstrated to reduce recovery time.   As all thr above activities limit excesss stress on the brain, it’s definitely iffier to clear for travel.    

More importantly, It’s definitely not ok to use screens.    The fact McDaniel didn’t know about avoiding screen time  speaks to the extreme lack of competency in the Dolphins medical staff (and this is something McDaniel should now know, if he didn’t before).  As i mentioned before this complete lack of competency removes any credibility that Tua was cleared properly by Miami medical staff for the BUF game.    The independent league MD wasn’t the only one to have missed the boat that day.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

According to my friends daughter (take it for what you will, but she works a floor above where he was) the doctors didn't think he should leave.  Even if he checked himself out, who in their right mind puts him on a plane when his body possibly can't regulate his body's ability to adjust to the extreme pressure changes?

Clueless and naive people

Firing the UNC is probably helpful. But I don’t think people realize that it’s the team doctor who has final say on whether a player returns to a game following an incident.

The team physician “consults with” the UNC, but it’s the team doctor who determines if a player cannot return.

So Miami still has some stuff to figure out of their own.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/concussion-protocol-return-to-participation-protocol

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

Firing the UNC is probably helpful. But I don’t think people realize that it’s the team doctor who has final say on whether a player returns to a game following an incident.

The team physician “consults with” the UNC, but it’s the team doctor who determines if a player cannot return.

So Miami still has some stuff to figure out of their own.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/concussion-protocol-return-to-participation-protocol

While this is true - do you think anything is going to happen from the league or the NFLPA outside of firing the UNC?

The league and PA have their villain, they fixed the problem (the problem to them was public perception - not two concussions in five days). Now onto other pressing issues - such as hip thrusting! Who will think of the kids!?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

While this is true - do you think anything is going to happen from the league or the NFLPA outside of firing the UNC?

The league and PA have their villain, they fixed the problem (the problem to them was public perception - not two concussions in five days). Now onto other pressing issues - such as hip thrusting! Who will think of the kids!?

Of course nothing else happens. I’m just noting for people in here talking about what the UNC did in the first game, it was the team doctor’s call, not the UNC. We all know the problem isn’t fixed. The UNC is very much the scapegoat, even if that person did also contribute to this dumpster fire.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Hmm

If true, sounds like a serious HIPAA violation on the part of your friend's daughter to me...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Hmm

If true, sounds like a serious HIPAA violation on the part of your friend's daughter to me...

As far as HIPAA violations go, this would not be a very serious one and it would be hard to act on. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

As far as HIPAA violations go, this would not be a very serious one and it would be hard to act on. 

hard to act on yes

but it would definitely be in the most serious "direct/wilful negligence" category. accidental leaks of a person's medical information is bad enough - doing it on purpose is unacceptable and downright unethical. especially when that information ends up on a public forum on the internet.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

hard to act on yes

but it would definitely be in the most serious "direct/intentional negligence" category.

She commented on what she believed the doctors were feeling about a patient, she didn’t give info on anything related to Tuas health. From my very short stint as an EMT this would not be seen as an egregious violation by many people. But again this is a very limited scope, less than a year going on calls part time, so it could just be skewed perspective.

Is saying he checked himself out a violation? I thought that was something they could share? Some types of medical facilities can definitely tell you if someone checked themselves out, but that might not be a one size fits all thing 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

accidental leaks of a person's medical information is bad enough - doing it on purpose is unacceptable and downright unethical.

Unethical sure, I can agree there.

but I think by officially commenting on what she believed the doctors felt saves her 

we all know tua was in there for a head injury, we now know his doctor (allegedly) wanted him to stay longer 

that doesn’t give us any info about Tuas head injury, it is just info about how a doctor responded to a patient 

idk by saying he checked himself out that could be a clear violation and this is a moot point, but I was under the impression saying a patient checked themselves out was OK in certain situations 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

She commented on what she believed the doctors were feeling about a patient, she didn’t give info on anything related to Tuas health. From my very short stint as an EMT this would not be seen as an egregious violation by many people. But again this is a very limited scope, less than a year going on calls part time, so it could just be skewed perspective.

Is saying he checked himself out a violation? I thought that was something they could share? Some types of medical facilities can definitely tell you if someone checked themselves out, but that might not be a one size fits all thing 

I'm pretty certain that medical advice from a doctor to a patient is covered under HIPAA, but if I'm wrong on this, color me surprised and I rescind my post.

I'd be pretty upset if information like that were disclosed publicly if I were a patient, at least.