Week 5 TNF GDT: Indianapolis Colts (1-2-1) at Denver Broncos (2-2)

Broncofan

Who wins the TNF game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the TNF game?

• Indianapolis
    • Denver
    • I just want a good game
    • I just want ppl to have fun
    • Oh god please no more Nathaniel Hackett

Make no mistake, Russell Wilson's play cost DEN the W tonight.    But the heat on Nathaniel Hackett's only going to rise - and his post-game comments are only adding fuel to the fire.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/07/questionable-late-game-decisions-plague-nathaniel-hackett-again/

This particular answer is going to get a TON of heat tomorrow:

There’s another question to be asked about the final play of the game. Why not kick the field goal, play defense, and try to get the ball back? Even if the game had ended in a tie, a 2-2-1 record would be better than 2-3.

In explaining the decision-making process with the game on the line, Hackett made an interesting — and perhaps telling — comment in his post-game press conference. He said he “got the go to go for it.”

From whom? Isn’t that the head coach’s decision? Whoever gave the head coach the go to go for it is the guy who should apparently should be the head coach, because that person made a decision that is always reserved for the head coach.

What it Jerry Rosburg, who was specifically hired to help Hackett make better decisions in those spots? Was it an analytics person who apparently has final say over whatever Hackett chooses to do?

At the highest levels of any industry, perception is reality. And the perception through five games is that the game is too big for Hackett. Even with another assistant coach added on the fly, he’s not making good decisions in key moments.

Look at that answer on the 4th down call and why he didn't kick a FG.  I actually get the reasoning - but he didn't own the decision, he said "I got the go head to go for it".    Wait - why do you need the go head?   Who's making the final call if not you?   HOLY **** he's going to get absolutely SKEWERED in the AM and rightfully so.   I gotta believe the bye is totally in play..if not next week after MNF.  And if you asked me this even after the Week 1 debacle, I'd have said you're certifiable.   But the heat's only going to intensify after tonight, and more importantly, Hackett's own words damn him here.   Wilson is part of the problem, to be clear - but it's also clear that the Hackett-Wilson combo isn't gelling, and when you add the Hackett game management / play-calling problems, and now this...man, it's an AWFUL look.

As for the call, I have no problem with going for it - but why give away that it's going to be a pass by shotgun, call TO, and then give the D the SAME look again?   That's where being under center gives the D the need to account for both run or pass.   It's just making it so easy for the D to defend.   Now, again, regardless - Wilson still had Hamler open, but zoned in on Sutton.   That's totally on him.   But the process behind the decisions, and the implication that Hackett doesn't make the final call for crucial decision - man, it's going to be hard to see how he makes it through the season, let alone get a 2nd year (like the article refers to).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Hackett is gonna get fired. Broncos can't cut bait with Russell. The front brass will get him another coach...maybe a retread? I'm wondering if high profile guys will want to go to Denver to play with Russell if the whispers about leadership/locker room dynamics start to trend south. That and Wilson's play continuing to dip. Money talks obviously, but if Denver doesn't have to be their only choice, then it might not be their first choice money being close. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

13 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Hackett is gonna get fired. Broncos can't cut bait with Russell. The front brass will get him another coach...maybe a retread? I'm wondering if high profile guys will want to go to Denver to play with Russell if the whispers about leadership/locker room dynamics start to trend south. That and Wilson's play continuing to dip. Money talks obviously, but if Denver doesn't have to be their only choice, then it might not be their first choice money being close. 

The Broncos are committed to him for at least the next three seasons and a half seasons. Even moving on from him in 2027 would come with $31.2M in dead cap. I'd imagine they'd look to replace Hackett with someone that has some head coaching experience, possibly Dan Quinn or even Bruce Arians. 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

"This caused Broncos fans to throw up..."

Then you can hear a producer or whatever in the background laughing. Damn what a mess. I guess it hurts so bad even at 2-3 because all hope seems lost after huge expectations. The Broncos under Manning were also 2-3 in his first year, but there wasn't this kind of backlash. This Wilson/Hackett operation...it's like "you ain't got no future Jack". 

Every team they lost to that year was like a 12+ win team. Atlanta, New England, I think Houston. Never scored less than 21. That felt much more according to plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I think what's increasingly bothering me more than him being open, is Russ trailing and moving backwards when he had a clean pocket and lane to step into and drive the ball. Like 30% of why that was broken up is because he threw it while shifting all his weight backwards, because he broke the pocket for no reason.

It's becoming increasingly clear that Russell has a lot, and I mean a lot, of bad habits as a QB at this point. I don't know enough to say if he's developed these problems over time, maybe they were things that worked out with the personnel and scheme in Seattle, but not in Denver, or if they're new problems as he moves to a new team, but it's bad. Like, the stuff you're unsure if you can coach out of draft prospects when they have these problems in college, bad. Poor pocket presence, ignoring route progressions as they're designed, taking low percentage shots over reliable yards. It's...not good.

Nathaniel Hackett needs to be fired

hes not ready

ive watched part of all 5 of the Broncos games this year

hes an atrocious coach. he’s in over his head. He needs to be fired yesterday. 

He’s not using Russ right. He’s not giving Russ any sort of rhythm. I’ve honestly never seen a coach come in and be this horrible. Their red zone offense is blasphemous. He doesn’t know how to call plays. 

I’m 99.9% sure it’s not going to get better this year. They’ve gotta let him go 

26 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that Russell has a lot, and I mean a lot, of bad habits as a QB at this point. I don't know enough to say if he's developed these problems over time, maybe they were things that worked out with the personnel and scheme in Seattle, but not in Denver, or if they're new problems as he moves to a new team, but it's bad. Like, the stuff you're unsure if you can coach out of draft prospects when they have these problems in college, bad. Poor pocket presence, ignoring route progressions as they're designed, taking low percentage shots over reliable yards. It's...not good.

His style of play may have gotten stale. It's interesting that even polished athletes all age differently, and you never know when they'll hit that wall. Brady is obviously king of the hill in terms of playing quality ball at an advanced age. Different play style of course. What he and Russell have in common at least is apparently spending a boatload of money and acquiring resources to help maintain an edge with fitness/nutrition/training. But Russell might be toast at age 34. Meanwhile you go back to Steve Young or Fran Tarkenton who played quality ball into their mid to late 30's. And they certainly didn't have the resources that Russell has, and didn't have their own empire at every practice helping them out. Weird.