Week 11 GDT

Breesus mode

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Little of Column A, little of Column B; they're not mutually exclusive.  The Broncos defense this season isn't as good as it has been in years past (the loss of Wade has been apparent), but it's not like their talent suddenly fell off a cliff either.

Fair point. Why exactly did they get rid of Wade again? I feel like this is deja vu when it comes to Wade. He gets fired from one team for no real good reason, goes to another and their defense suddenly becomes top 10.

36 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, they are legitimate franchise QBs in 2017, and they are good. But if they're going to be the premier 3 QBs (along with Rodgers) how do you compare that to Manning, Brady, Brees, Favre etc? I am harsh though, and I don't consider Mariota or Winston even close as of yet, Carr I find slightly overrated (his numbers are punishing this season) same as Newton and Stafford. Then you have teams starting with the likes of Dalton, Osweiler (or Siemien...), Flacco, Kizer (or Kessler), McCown, Cutler (or Moore), Trubisky (or Glennon), Palmer (or Stanton), Beathard (or Hoyer), Gabbert, Bortles, Taylor (or....Peterman), Keenan (doing well, but starting for a playoff team). I just think the whole outlook is pretty bleak.

Brady and Manning might be the two greatest QBs of all-time and Brees is probably top-10.  That's a pretty high bar.  Also, first two years (and the last three have six games left to pad these numbers):  

Manning: 59%, 7874 YD, 52 TD, 43 INT, 80 Rating 

Wentz: 62%, 6044 YD, 39 TD, 19 INT, 87 Rating 

Prescott: 66%, 5661 YD, 39 TD, 8 INT, 102 Rating 

Goff: 58%, 3474 YD, 21 TD, 11 INT, 86 Rating 

I agree that the younger generation of QBs hasn't 'stepped up' to take the baton from Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Ben.  But think that says a lot more about those players than it does about the younger players.  Here are the top-5 QBs by passer rating in 2000:

1. Brian Griese

2. Trent Green 

3. Kurt Warner 

4. Daunte Culpepper 

5. Jeff Garcia 

And last year: 

1. Matt Ryan

2. Tom Brady

3. Dak Prescott 

4. Aaron Rodgers

5. Drew Brees

The younger guys are having a harder time taking over because the old guys are just much better now than they were 15 years ago.

14 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

A 1st ballot HOF at 31 years old? Ok fine, I'll cede that but even then, it was slim pickings for sure fire "future HOF QB"

By the time the current crop of old timers (Brees, Brady, E.Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger) are all gone, you will have Rodgers as a sure fire HOF and probably 1 of the other guys like Ryan to be in the conversation.

You're also looking at a lot of very young QBs too. Luck, Carr, Cousins, Prescott, Goff, Wentz, Mariota, Winston, Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes, etc have a lot of footbal ahead of them and aren't even halfway through their careers. Some will falter and others will thrive. Picking one so early in his career would be difficult, sure. But there will be several in the conversation.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

You're also looking at a lot of very young QBs too. Luck, Carr, Cousins, Prescott, Goff, Wentz, Mariota, Winston, Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes, etc have a lot of footbal ahead of them and aren't even halfway through their careers. Some will falter and others will thrive. Picking one so early in his career would be difficult, sure. But there will be several in the conversation.

Why did you put Luck and not Russell?

5 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Fair point. Why exactly did they get rid of Wade again? I feel like this is deja vu when it comes to Wade. He gets fired from one team for no real good reason, goes to another and their defense suddenly becomes top 10.

I don't know that he necessarily got fired,  so much as they brought in a defensive-minded HC and that guy opted to promote their secondary coach - who had been one of Wade's lieutenants (I still stand by my belief that Reggie Herring has always been Wade's main lieutenant since he was HC in Dallas), figuring that he was the "long-term" plan and wanted to ensure maintaining him.  And - along with their interior pass-rush taking a notable dip and their inability to properly cover TE's which I still think is somewhat a scheme issue - they kind of shot themselves in the foot getting too far ahead of themselves, similar to how the Raiders did on the other side of the ball letting Musgrave walk in order to promote/protect Downing.

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Point of order: Cousins is turning 30 next year.  Not exactly "young" by NFL standards.  If you're not including Stafford, Cousins shouldn't be included either.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Point of order: Cousins is turning 30 next year.  Not exactly "young" by NFL standards.  If you're not including Stafford, Cousins shouldn't be included either.

Length of body of work. Stafford has 9 years where he was the unquestioned starter, Cousins has been the unquestioned starter for 3.

And I already mentioned it was just a quick list of QBs who have not played half of their career starts.

18 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Archived