Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Gotta think this is an incredibly attractive opening. MLF should have his choice of the field.

Messing this one up likely means the end of his tenure as HC.

Depends on how bad he messes up lol

if he can hire someone even competent and Love and his offense continue to progress they’re gonna win a lot of games.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Depends on how bad he messes up lol

if he can hire someone even competent and Love and his offense continue to progress they’re gonna win a lot of games.

Right, he already whiffed big once. Not out of the question he'd do it again. We're all kinda just hoping that he learns from this.

The identity of this team has been built to be great on offence, average on defence and rubbish on special teams. It's just who we are, no coach will change that. Coach Rich is one of the best in the biz and we are still wank. Unless we sign a Reggie White type, tone setting leader, we are who we are. No new coach changing that

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

The identity of this team has been built to be great on offence, average on defence and rubbish on special teams. It's just who we are, no coach will change that. Coach Rich is one of the best in the biz and we are still wank. Unless we sign a Reggie White type, tone setting leader, we are who we are. No new coach changing that

You are correct in the fact that this team seems to be exactly what you mentioned in your 1st sentence or two.  However, the team is not even average on defense .. I'd take average.  That being said, I do not agree with the "no new coach will change that".  MLF has to get some stones, quit being a pus..y boy and become a head coach that takes charge.  There are numerous coaches in the NFL, if they came to GB could and would change that thought theory you mentioned.  If MLF doesn't/can't get this ship turned around in the next year, it may be a real possibility the Packers will indeed be looking for that type of coach you said couldn't turn them around. 

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

You are correct in the fact that this team seems to be exactly what you mentioned in your 1st sentence or two.  However, the team is not even average on defense .. I'd take average.  That being said, I do not agree with the "no new coach will change that".  MLF has to get some stones, quit being a pus..y boy and become a head coach that takes charge.  There are numerous coaches in the NFL, if they came to GB could and would change that thought theory you mentioned.  If MLF doesn't/can't get this ship turned around in the next year, it may be a real possibility the Packers will indeed be looking for that type of coach you said couldn't turn them around. 

Coaching in the NFL is about your circle, these guys spend  12+ hours a day together and they hire people that they know. At one point more than half of McCarthy’s staff were Pittsburgh guys. The issue I had with hiring a young hot shot coach was that his tree was pretty limited for hiring other staff. With that being said it’s just another branch of the Shanahan tree and there are a a bunch of them now in the league with what I would say are mixed results.

Barry’s last stop was in LA under McVay and I assume LaFleur got some intel from his old friend there. The thing is, Barry got his defense playing pretty well vs. the 9ers and definitely vs. the Rams. At this point, he’s got to go but I wonder how far Coach’s network reaches. Obviously Saleh is a good friend and a very proven defensive coach but I don’t believe he’s going anywhere. I would look to his staff to see if there is someone ready to take the leap.  Who knows but this is a very important hire for LaFleur, he got the last one wrong and ignored numerous red flags of failures at DC before bringing Barry to GB. 

9 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Defense is a mentality. If your approach is to "allow," the offense to have this or that it is a passive approach. Your DC needs to have the mentality that we aren't giving them an inch. Not an inch in the run game and not an inch in the passing game. That translates to the players on the field, both ways. 

To your point, Barry is fine with teams getting 5, 6, 7 yards at a time. He doesn't want to give up the big plays. Consequently, your defense becomes passive, and they get those 5, 6, 7-yard gains and big plays. 

I want an attack dog for a DC. Instill that in your players and you change the outcome of your defense. We have the talent, and nobody will convince me otherwise. 

BTW, the same can be said about special teams. I'm going back bit, but Nolan Cromwell had our special teams near the top of the league when he was here. 

The 96' Super Bowl Championship team led the league in offense and defense. We all know what our special teams did in the Super Bowl. Desmond Howard is still the only special team's player to win the MVP. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BluePacker said:

I'm actually color blind, so no on the green. Not sure what you are trying to get at with the rest of this post, thought it was a Barry thread?

Again, when you start perusing this site, or when the Christian Watson thread gets bumped, because he is fact, a bum, proceed with caution.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Defense is a mentality. If your approach is to "allow," the offense to have this or that it is a passive approach. Your DC needs to have the mentality that we aren't giving them an inch. Not an inch in the run game and not an inch in the passing game. That translates to the players on the field, both ways. 

To your point, Barry is fine with teams getting 5, 6, 7 yards at a time. He doesn't want to give up the big plays. Consequently, your defense becomes passive, and they get those 5, 6, 7-yard gains and big plays. 

I want an attack dog for a DC. Instill that in your players and you change the outcome of your defense. We have the talent, and nobody will convince me otherwise. 

BTW, the same can be said about special teams. I'm going back bit, but Nolan Cromwell has our special teams near the top of the league when he was here. 

The 96' Super Bowl Championship team led the league in offense and defense. We all know what our special teams did in the Super Bowl. Desmond Howard is still the only special team's player to win the MVP. 

When you say you want an ‘attack dog’ do you mean someone who blitzes a ton or someone who lets their guys compete?

I don’t mind not being a blitz heavy team, but I damn sure want my CBs to compete with the WRs and not allow them to get easy gains. I also don’t want to be light in the box vs obvious rush downs or obvious rushing teams 

Man, I can’t even imagine what our current locker room is like. With all these people from former players to even former Packers players eviscerating Barry, I can’t imagine what our current defensive players are saying about him.

I’m actually a little bit scared about this coming game. It could get ugly. If Barry lost the defense, if LaFleur lost the defense, that crap doesn’t stick to one side of the field.

Especially with how LaFleur kinda through Campbell, a team leader, under the bus to defend Barry, I could see a scenario where the final three games go up in flames.

I think Monday was the day to make a move on Barry. If for nothing other than to save face with the rest of the team to make sure he didn’t lose the locker.

It’s definitely not how the Packers do things, but if we tank the rest of the season, I’d say there’s a 10% chance LaFleur is a surprise firing. And if our team comes out flat the final three games, it would be a clear indication that the locker is lost.

Going to be a very interesting final three games.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I think our ST is better now than it was.  Kicking league wide is shaky at best and besides the muff by Nixon last week punts and kicks are not the adventure they once were.  In the past it was almost a given someone would be holding on ST on every kick/punt.  We have a ways to go for sure but IMO the arrow is pointing up.