Week 6 GDT - Bears vs Commies... Why is This Prime Time?

Sugashane

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

They definitely could have but part of me thinks Poles didn't because he wants this team to get a high draft slot so he has a better chance of landing blue chip talent next offseason or stockpiling more draft picks via a trade down scenario 

We really need to get lucky and be able to pull a Philly. What they have done the past couple drafts is pretty insane with stockpiling multiple firsts and other round picks. That's how you build a good squad  quickly 

Maybe the Ian Cunningham hire from Philly will end up helping us in that sense or at least in trying to follow a similar model

You can’t kill Fields in the process.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You can’t kill Fields in the process.

Agreed. But you also have to consider that the good FAs, which are few and far between, have to want to sign here. It's not as simple as some people are making it out to be 

Poles could have drafted an OL over Velus though..can't say I'm excited about how he's shown so far in limited action 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed. But you also have to consider that the good FAs, which are few and far between, have to want to sign here. It's not as simple as some people are making it out to be 

Poles could have drafted an OL over Velus though..can't say I'm excited about how he's shown so far in limited action 

People sure are making it sound simple for this coming offseason

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The Braxton Jones story was cool in August

It was cool he is a rookie 5th rounder starting.  But you actually have to play well too.  We keep waiting for next step that may not be coming. 

The handling of Jenkins, Patrick and Mustipher is a black eye.   Jenkins has obviously quicker feet than Jones, but they threw him away almost immediately. Weird to me. 

Mustipher put out enough tape last year that told his regular season story. They didn’t do homework.

Patrick has always been a below average guard.  He has tape as a serviceable center only.   Should also be noted that GB OL are overrated and don’t do as well elsewhere because in GB they get away with an obscene amount of holding for whatever reason.

I also think they should have focused on developing Dieter who did show potential and has the strength and athleticism to play at this level (unlike Mustipher), but struggled with snaps.  A fixable issue with coaching and reps. 

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It was cool he is a rookie 5th rounder starting.  But you actually have to play well too.  We keep waiting for next step that may not be coming. 

The handling of Jenkins, Patrick and Mustipher is a black eye.   Jenkins has obviously quicker feet than Jones, but they threw him away almost immediately. Weird to me. 

Mustipher put out enough tape last year that told his regular season story. They didn’t do homework.

Patrick has always been a below average guard.  He has tape as a serviceable center only.   Should also be noted that GB OL are overrated and don’t do as well elsewhere because in GB they get away with an obscene amount of holding for whatever reason.

I also think they should have focused on developing Dieter who did show potential and has the strength and athleticism to play at this level (unlike Mustipher), but struggled with snaps.  A fixable issue with coaching and reps. 

What I meant was everyone declared Jones as a late round steal, but that has turned into a nightmare. As of this moment he's horrible. Maybe he can still develop into a swing tackle

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What I meant was everyone declared Jones as a late round steal, but that has turned into a nightmare. As of this moment he's horrible. Maybe he can still develop into a swing tackle

It's the familiar story of the Bears not addressing their offseason needs, forcing a rookie into starting, then declaring him a success because "this guy went from a late round pick to a day 1 starter!"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I would disagree he is “horrible” has he struggled? Yes…do most rookie OTs struggle? Yes…do OTs coming from the FCS usually take more time to develop? Yes…has having Whitehair go down made it more difficult for him since? Yes…bottom line is he is a 5th round development guy who probably shouldn’t have played this season but is still better than any other option we have at LT…what we have to see is how he learns from this season & works during the offseason to improve in year two with a full season under his belt…he is no worse than Andrew Thomas was in New York as a rookie and look at that dude now…OT in the pros is incredibly difficult transition from college these days for a lot of guys but there is clear upside there…bring in competition in the offseason no doubt but I have a lot of faith in that kid to work it out when we have a better overall unit and he is more experienced at the position.

17 hours ago, topwop1 said:

We didn’t need good OLmen. Serviceable and competent would have been a massive upgrade. Instead we signed a complete pylon.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I would disagree he is “horrible” has he struggled? Yes…do most rookie OTs struggle? Yes…do OTs coming from the FCS usually take more time to develop? Yes…has having Whitehair go down made it more difficult for him since? Yes…bottom line is he is a 5th round development guy who probably shouldn’t have played this season but is still better than any other option we have at LT…what we have to see is how he learns from this season & works during the offseason to improve in year two with a full season under his belt…he is no worse than Andrew Thomas was in New York as a rookie and look at that dude now…OT in the pros is incredibly difficult transition from college these days for a lot of guys but there is clear upside there…bring in competition in the offseason no doubt but I have a lot of faith in that kid to work it out when we have a better overall unit and he is more experienced at the position.

But at this moment his pass pro is unplayable.

Not having other options to go to is a major failing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, topwop1 said:

We will 100% have to overpay unless we can get some seriously spiteful guys from division rivals. Even then we still likely have to overpay. Have to hope stuff crumbles for a chance at guys like Jenkins from GB, or hope Chark feels like he got shafted by DET (as the #3 fornus, not to be the 1). 

If the money is even comparable why sign in Chicago compared to KC, BUF, or PHI right now? 

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But at this moment his pass pro is unplayable.

Not having other options to go to is a major failing.

Again, unplayable is hyperbolic...it's not good but it is also not terrible...

I do agree we should have had at least some competition.

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

He is the 2nd worst OT in the league in pressure allowed. Pretty sure that qualifies as terrible.

It's all relative to me...if this was a good team and he was the 2nd worst in pressure allowed that's one thing but there is a lot going into that figure...Fields holding the ball too long & WRs not getting open doesn't play into those figures...like I said about every aspect of this offence it is a vicious cycle.