Week 7 Gameday Thread: Green Bay Packers (3-3-0) @ Washington Commanders (2-4-0)

Striker

39 minutes ago, Tperk said:

10 passes behind the LOS today and only 5 total over 11 yards downfield. And to see the 2 plays where Watkins was streaking wide open down the field and didnt get targeted either time. Ish.

Was one of those plays the 4th down screen to Doubs where Watkins ran a stutter-go instead of blocking the DB who blew up the play?

• Like 1

Yo the refs were absolute trash... from a guy who can't watch the game live, and had to sit through every call going a certain way until we were down by 2 scores.  Stokes was hand fighting with a guy who engaged him, possibly one of the worst calls of the year. 

Edited by oldmansmell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oldmansmell said:

Getting your CB called on the RB who ******* engaged, is like the NFL is rigged.

One of my least favorite aspects of NFL football. 9 times out of 10 you can watch a receiver put hands on a CB first and the corner gets called for it. The 1 time out of 10 it goes the other way is truly shocking 

20 hours ago, Old Guy said:

My Sunday's may be free for the rest of the year. I lived through the 70's and 80's with really bad football and stuck by the Packers every step of the way. This team seems to lack desire and I'm just over Aaron Rodgers. He should have been shown the door a long time ago. 

Gute committed GM malpractice by catering to his ***. He redid the guy's contract and now we are stuck with him and it for the foreseeable future. 

Imagine how much fun the rebuild would have been and how quickly we could have rebuilt with the draft picks we would have acquired. 

From an outsider perspective this seems a bit unfair to call for jobs at this point (the many of you that are).

In 2019 you couldn't match up with 49ers which was unfortunate.

In 2020 IMO you were best team in league and caught a tough match up and some untimely injuries at very end.

You have been 1st place in division every year under LaFluer until this season.  13 wins 3 years in a row is not an easy feat. 

All this after I thought Rodgers was on decline.  A lot of people did.  In light of that I don't blame them for drafting Love way he was playing last couple years under McCarthy.   But obviously wasn't the case.   And way Rodgers played in '19 and '20 I don't blame them extending him. 

It sucks not winning big one, but sometimes like in 2020 IMO that is just bad luck.

This season you definitely f'd up on team construction.   You went way too heavy into D resources and too light on O and it cost you.   It seems to me you were trying really hard to build the 2019 49ers, but with a good QB.  Those big losses in 2019 must have psychologically stuck with front office.  

I think if the O had a few explosive playmakers on outside the defense would look a lot better even without the number 1 draft picks.   

A lot of you all argued you didn't need them or already had them.  A lot of you didn't.  I think the didn'ts are looking right now.  

BTW I haven't watched this on gamepass yet, but I was watching scores in first half as I watched other games and thought this was going to be a blowout.  

What happened?

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

From an outsider perspective this seems a bit unfair to call for jobs at this point (the many of you that are).

In 2019 you couldn't match up with 49ers which was unfortunate.

In 2020 IMO you were best team in league and caught a tough match up and some untimely injuries at very end.

You have been 1st place in division every year under LaFluer until this season.  13 wins 3 years in a row is not an easy feat. 

All this after I thought Rodgers was on decline.  A lot of people did.  In light of that I don't blame them for drafting Love way he was playing last couple years under McCarthy.   But obviously wasn't the case.   And way Rodgers played in '19 and '20 I don't blame them extending him. 

It sucks not winning big one, but sometimes like in 2020 IMO that is just bad luck.

This season you definitely f'd up on team construction.   You went way too heavy into D resources and too light on O and it cost you.   It seems to me you were trying really hard to build the 2019 49ers, but with a good QB.  Those big losses in 2019 must have psychologically stuck with front office.  

I think if the O had a few explosive playmakers on outside the defense would look a lot better even without the number 1 draft picks.   

A lot of you all argued you didn't need them or already had them.  A lot of you didn't.  I think the didn'ts are looking right now.  

BTW I haven't watched this on gamepass yet, but I was watching scores in first half as I watched other games and thought this was going to be a blowout.  

What happened?

It's weird.

As I watched the game, I didn't notice Rodgers missing guys who were open.

But now?  I'm seeing a lot of cuts of our guys getting open and Rodgers just missing his reads on them.

And really, that's the story of our season.  We have a pathetic, gimmicky offense and a great defense for 2 quarters.

Then the defense is gassed, or dejected after seeing so many 3 and outs that they kind of quit.

And our specials still can't go a game without screwing something up.  And when one bad thing happens, it snowballs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

It's weird.

But now?  I'm seeing a lot of cuts of our guys getting open and Rodgers just missing his reads on them.

And really, that's the story of our season.  We have a pathetic, gimmicky offense and a great defense for 2 quarters.

Then the defense is gassed, or dejected after seeing so many 3 and outs that they kind of quit.

And our specials still can't go a game without screwing something up.  And when one bad thing happens, it snowballs.

I agree defense is getting gassed in a lot of these games.  Or frustrated with offense which also matters. 

I wouldn't call offense gimmicky.   

It was built for power run with Jones and Dillon, but you don't have the explosive playmakers on outside to keep defense's honest.

In football without explosive playmakers nothing works or it is extremely difficult to make it work.   You would need a dominant O line to make that happen.   You don't have it this year.

Momentum and opportunity is huge in football.   Other offenses are getting lots of chances and having more momentum plays throughout game.  

Opportunity is born of more chances on offense and momentum is usually based on explosive plays.

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I agree defense is getting gassed in a lot of these games.  Or frustrated with offense which also matters. 

I wouldn't call offense gimmicky.   

It was built for power run with Jones and Dillon, but you don't have the explosive playmakers on outside to keep defense's honest.

In football without explosive playmakers nothing works or it is extremely difficult to make it work.   You would need a dominant O line to make that happen.   You don't have it this year.

Momentum and opportunity is huge in football.   Other offenses are getting lots of chances and having more momentum plays throughout game.  

Opportunity is born of more chances on offense and momentum is usually based on explosive plays.

No.  It is completely a gimmicky offense.  If you saw how many of our passes were either behind the LOS or within 3 yards of it, you'd probably throw up.

We throw stand up passes and WR type screens as the staple of our passing game.  

Our quarterback isn't accurate on the deep stuff and he isn't throwing accurate balls on even swing passes.

We all thought we were going to be a power run team.  However, we all thought wrong.  Our o-line forgot how to run block and our coach/quarterback forgot to stick to a run game.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It's weird.

I don't think it's even just about whether he's completely missing or not.  It just seems like there are so many passes this year that are like 3-4 yard throws that receivers have to dig out of the dirt or having to sky for a simple screen pass and then get tackled immediately.  There are still good/great throws like the TD to Jones or some that went to Lazard but on average the overall accuracy just doesn't look great.

Edited by Stevein2012
  • Like 3