Week 9 Gameday Thread - Green Bay Packers (3-5) at Detroit Lions (1-6)

Striker

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF this were a home game, I'd feel fairly confident in Green Bay.  I think Detroit's better than their record suggests they are, but they're not world beaters.  They're -4 in close wins/losses.

Agree. For the first time in quite some time, I'm revisiting hope levels from back when the team stunk - but I tuned in and watched hoping for a good outcome more than thinking I'd see it. I was hopeful of good games from one or two of the teams few stars.

I'm not ready to bury the team quite yet but they're not clicking on enough cylinders - over a fairly extended time period now - to elicit a "We got this" mindset. I'm not quite sure whats gonna show up.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Agree. For the first time in quite some time, I'm revisiting hope levels from back when the team stunk - but I tuned in and watched hoping for a good outcome more than thinking I'd see it. I was hopeful of good games from one or two of the teams few stars.

I'm not ready to bury the team quite yet but they're not clicking on enough cylinders - over a fairly extended time period now - to elicit a "We got this" mindset.
I'm not quite sure whats gonna show up.

Think we're probably a 2-3 over the next 5 games (most likely Detroit and one of DAL/PHI/TEN), and then we go 1-3 or 2-2 after the bye.  Feels like 6 wins is our floor and 8 wins is our peak right now unless something drastic changes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Think we're probably a 2-3 over the next 5 games (most likely Detroit and one of DAL/PHI/TEN), and then we go 1-3 or 2-2 after the bye.  Feels like 6 wins is our floor and 8 wins is our peak right now unless something drastic changes.

Hmmmmm 😑

On 10/31/2022 at 5:30 PM, deltarich87 said:

Not entirely sure but I vaguely remember reading something back when the schedules were announced that the teams themselves can decide if they want to have their BYE after their London trip, and GB declined that option. That's partly why some Jets players were chirping in their post game interviews saying it was a sign of disrespect that GB felt they didn't need their BYE since they were facing a team like them lol(the things coaches will say to motivate their players during the week)

I doubt that decision had anything to do with the Jets.  I suspect we didn't want our bye week so early in the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I doubt that decision had anything to do with the Jets.  I suspect we didn't want our bye week so early in the season.

I don't even think the Packers knew who the opponent would be following the London game. Only which week the London trip would come. It would be very surprising to learn that the schedule was mapped out in it's entirety aside from teams with overseas trips weighing on where they want to slot their byes. Definitely don't think that's how this works.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I turned down free tickets to the Dallas game.  I'll be fishing instead.  So, we will play out of our minds and that will be the best game we play all season.  Mark.  It.  Down.

I took my kid to a Dallas game at Lambeau back in...2008 maybe? I was offered $500 bucks before the game for my two tickets and was sorry I didn't take it.

It was like a Dallas home game. The scalpers were giving so much over face value that season ticket holders nearly sold the stadium out. Dallas fans in front, back and on either side.  We got thumped worse than the final score showed.

I wouldn't blame people for getting their $ back again this year.

28 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I don't even think the Packers knew who the opponent would be following the London game. Only which week the London trip would come. It would be very surprising to learn that the schedule was mapped out in it's entirety aside from teams with overseas trips weighing on where they want to slot their byes. Definitely don't think that's how this works.

agreed. there's no way the league said "Hey GB, would you rather have your bye or play the Jets after your London game?"

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That 6-8 win mark would suuuuck too. You fail to make the playoffs but don't get a great draft pick. As much as it hurts, we either need to keep losing or be able to get to 9-10 wins somehow and sneak in. 

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That 6-8 win mark would suuuuck too. You fail to make the playoffs but don't get a great draft pick. As much as it hurts, we either need to keep losing or be able to get to 9-10 wins somehow and sneak in. 

a narrow win over Detroit would be like kissing your sister. You don't gain in the draft pick race, but you get more feedback that the team just ain't it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers' offense doesn't "figure it out" this week, probably time to just admit it isn't going to happen this year. 

I think the Buffalo game will help.  They played well enough to beat most teams in the NFL that night.  It's all about the effort and that's where coaches come in going forward.  

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I think the Buffalo game will help.  They played well enough to beat most teams in the NFL that night.  It's all about the effort and that's where coaches come in going forward.  

I think the effort against Buffalo was good, but I'd push back on the take that the Packers took any real meaningful step forward. I viewed that game more as Buffalo playing with their food after they got up 24-3, much like we use to do when we would get out to big leads on poor teams and then let them back in the game to make it seem closer at the end.