Week 9 Gameday Thread - Green Bay Packers (3-5) at Detroit Lions (1-6)

Striker

1 minute ago, GHARMON9 said:

Adams isnt fixing anything. He'd only conceal how overrated Rodgers really is. Davante deserves about half of that 25M Rodgers is getting.

Is the difference not obvious? The connection Rodgers and Adams had was special. They singlehandedly took over games by themselves. You don't just replace that in one hear.

My fear is that we were successful the last 2 years because Rodgers forced the ball to Adams and he made plays and that without him he isn’t good and MLF doesn’t have answers. There are times it appears we are running the offense as intended only for a holding call or miscommunication to derail the whole drive. Which would be fine and normal if a successful drive didn’t take 7:30 and you got more than 5 drives a game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Its called playing hard ball. Guy was 29 years old looking for one last big payday that we were willing to give him. He wasn't going to sit the whole season over the franchise tag. You tell him either accept the deal or play on the tag for two years because he isn't getting traded.

When is the last time this had ever actually worked?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Davante Adams didn't want to stay in Green Bay.  What part of that concept doesn't make sense to you?  He chose to go to Las Vegas to play with Carr.

He didn't refute any of that. It's that the GM ******* dropped the ball having a contingency plan in place years before 17 got to his FA date

7 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Its called playing hard ball. Guy was 29 years old looking for one last big payday that we were willing to give him. He wasn't going to sit the whole season over the franchise tag. You tell him either accept the deal or play on the tag for two years because he isn't getting traded.

I think they made the right decision with Adams given the circumstances.  Problem is that left them with no receivers that threaten a defense.  But then again, we had very little left under the salary cap to maneuver after opening the vault for Rodgers.  It's interesting watching the wheels fall off this bus while we have the greatest statistical regular season quarterback ever.  I think most here thought that never would happen while Rodgers was around and playing, but it is. 

Question is:  What is the team going to do about it?  Fire Gute; Fire LeFleur, Fire Murphy; Fire Rodgers; Fire some combination, ect.  The first three you can do because they don't cost us anything under the salary cap.  Rodgers though is different.  Rodgers basically owns them right now and they all know it.  Must be nice...Rodgers owns them but he's the King of Nothing.  So, in hindsight, was it worth it to give him $50 million a year.  Probably not.  

If the team continues it's current downward spiral, at what point do you bench Rodgers and play Love and see what you have (or don't have).  If this goes as I predicted it would and they continue to lose, I suspect that at around game 13 or 14, they will make the move and attempt to find out.  May as well, and then Rodgers either retire or grant him his wish to get traded.

17 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

My fear is that we were successful the last 2 years because Rodgers forced the ball to Adams and he made plays and that without him he isn’t good and MLF doesn’t have answers. There are times it appears we are running the offense as intended only for a holding call or miscommunication to derail the whole drive. Which would be fine and normal if a successful drive didn’t take 7:30 and you got more than 5 drives a game.

Pretty much.

Rodgers and Adams were both playing at an elite level - had played together for years and knew exactly what the other was doing. Rodgers knew exactly where Adams was going to be so could take chances forcing it to him and throwing into tight coverage. Adams knew exactly what Rodgers was going to do so had more time to make the difficult catches. They both made each other look better.

In reality Rodgers had been regressing to an extent but was being hidden because he had such an amazing professional connection with Adams which made his job easier. Without Adams him and MLF are exposed.  He can still be a very good QB but he's clearly not the same without Adams.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I was looking at this thread and forgot to post my response.

I mean, that would be one thing your team wins this year! 😋

If the Packers tank correctly, your team can be very competitive in 2023 though!

At this point, that is what I am looking for.  Even if we get every bounce for the rest of the season, who are we beating once the playoffs come?  Pull a full 49ers, get a top 5 pick on a team that is too talented to be picking that high, and roll on. Get the rookies and second year players more PT so they have some tape and experience to build on.  Season is pretty much over.  Very glad we didn't give up draft picks for a middling WR for this team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

There's really nothing about playing hard ball.  The Packers couldn't afford for Adams to play under the franchise tag.  It's really that simple.