2022 Steelers Bye Week Thread

Steeler Hitman

9 hours ago, Big Snack said:

Highsmith played all over the front 7 in college.  Me and a few buddies have already talked about this scenario with watt and Anderson outside and Highsmith and Jack inside. 

Not a lot of coverage skill in the middle. Jack is fine, but nothing special in coverage. I guess that’s the good thing about having good safeties, they could potentially cover up any liabilities. The pass rush potential would be nasty enough to make me not care.

54 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Not a lot of coverage skill in the middle. Jack is fine, but nothing special in coverage. I guess that’s the good thing about having good safeties, they could potentially cover up any liabilities. The pass rush potential would be nasty enough to make me not care.

That's the basic endpoint of the conversation.  Sacrifice some coverage ability in the middle but the blitz packages are a plus.  Also I feel run defense would be a positive over what we have now.  I'm also not sure Highsmith is worse than Bush in coverage so overall its an upgrade 

• Like 1

My current mock draft:
Round 1: Will Anderson Jr.  Alabama  EDGE
Round 2a: Siaki Ika Baylor NT
Round 2b: Olumuyiwa Fashanu Penn State OT
Round 3: Emil Ekiyor Jr. Alabama OG
Round 4: Dontay Demus Jr. Maryland WR
Round 7a: Dontayvion Wicks Virginia WR
Round 7b: Kenny Logan Jr. Kansas S

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34955663/sources-packers-pursued-trades-chase-claypool-darren-waller

Green Bay offered two draft picks -- its second-round pick and another late-round pick -- to Pittsburgh for Claypool, according to sources.

The Steelers believed, however, that the Packers are capable of turning around their season even without Claypool, according to sources, and a playoff push by Green Bay would decrease the value of the picks Pittsburgh would have received in the trade. So the Steelers ultimately opted for the Bears' offer of a second-round pick, even though Green Bay offered more picks than Chicago.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 12:53 PM, warfelg said:

RE: Running backs @bigben07MVPand @AFF

Most the times when you see that day 2 rookie RB have success you usually see a quality OL tied to it. At least at run blocking. 

Looking at the running aspect, I would like to see us try to get a couple of mid round picks this draft. Build out an OL and get a speedy back in round 4 who’s maybe a flawed elsewhere guy then use him that way. I think that’s been part of Najee’s issue: he has a certain skill set and we weren’t built for it and ask him to do something different. 

Hall was a very good prospect…far as I know the Jets OL has been very solid…same for the Hawks with 2 rookie OTs in Cross and Lucas.

I understand wanting to upgrade RB…I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak.

Drafting a RB high or signing a FA RB is for when you think he’s the missing/final piece of the offense.

I don’t think Najee is trash…the injury impacted him for sure.

OL run blocking seems to be bad still and Canada doesn’t seem to Do any favors…plus while Warren looks good, small sample size, workload questions etc etc.

Add another piece or 2 to the OL this offseason, get a real OC and see if the running game looks any better in 2023.

Build the lines on both sides of the ball…I don’t care if they wanna go sign Orlando Brown and Gravedigger/Payne in FA and then draft Ringo with their 1st...that’s one hell of an offseason in my book.

That still allows you to say go some combo of LG/ILB/WR/Edge with your other 3 top 75 picks.

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Someone said the pick we got was the Ravens.  If true, that pick will be worse than the Packers and this decision makes no sense.  

Story was later corrected to the Bears own 2nd rounder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Hall was a very good prospect…far as I know the Jets OL has been very solid…same for the Hawks with 2 rookie OTs in Cross and Lucas.

I understand wanting to upgrade RB…I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak.

Drafting a RB high or signing a FA RB is for when you think he’s the missing/final piece of the offense.

I don’t think Najee is trash…the injury impacted him for sure.

OL run blocking seems to be bad still and Canada doesn’t seem to Do any favors…plus while Warren looks good, small sample size, workload questions etc etc.

Add another piece or 2 to the OL this offseason, get a real OC and see if the running game looks any better in 2023.

Build the lines on both sides of the ball…I don’t care if they wanna go sign Orlando Brown and Gravedigger/Payne in FA and then draft Ringo with their 1st...that’s one hell of an offseason in my book.

That still allows you to say go some combo of LG/ILB/WR/Edge with your other 3 top 75 picks.

I very much do not disagree.

But what I was talking to is that the “finding” RB’s thing happens more when you have a good line already.  I mean we picked the Bus off the scrap heap turning him from FB to RB, FWP was an UDFA, Amos Zeroeh (sp?), Mewelde Moore was an after thought, heck even Lev Bell was seen as a bust ahead of time, and DeAngelo Williams was seen as a waste of an over the hill signing.

We ignored the OL for a long time (maybe rightfully, maybe wrongly) and then tried to take a RB.  (Before it comes up yes I know Saquan is much more skilled) But if you look at the difference in Saquan rookie year to now, and it’s the investment in OL.  Look at any RB that suddenly “became good” after not being much early.  

I think Najee’s more limits right now (outside of OL) is that he doesn’t play to the tools that he has.  He doesn’t pound the ball in there.  He doesn’t put his shoulder down.  I had a ‘wow’ effect the first time or two when he leaped over someone.  Now its like “come on man put that shoulder down”.  Every tackler goes high on him because he runs upright and they know in the open field he’s trying to go over rather than through.