Broncos trade Bradley Chubb to Miami for Chase Edmonds, 2023 1st, 2024 4th

BroncoSojia

2 hours ago, D82 said:

Is Chubb worth a 1st?

He's good not great which is surprising why the Fins gave up a 1st. He's quite solid in run blocking and is a great help defender but in terms of actual sacks or even getting touches on QBs, he's quite poor. This all changed after his ACL tear and he was never the same. However, this also could have been because after that, he wasn't opposite of Von Miller anymore. Either way, Chubb has never even looked great except that rookie season. He's 100% not worth big money but he won't cause you many glaring problems either.

6 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

odd thing to do to your best RB...

The fumbles are backbreaking, man. They are not the kind that just happen randomly and you can deal with it. It's a weekly thing and it's always either on the goal line, in the redzone, 3rd or 4th down, or during a critical drive in the 2nd half.

Time to move on.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

The kind of crazy thing to me is that the first isn't guaranteed to be late in the first round. I do believe that odds are good that the 49ers are going to make the playoffs, but there's no guarantee that they will at 4-4. 

I still have SF winning the division.   But they could get a crippling injury and miss out - but in the NFC, a playoff spot seems likely.  Still, they could also go 1 and done.   At that point, the pick is in the 19-22 range.  

And yeah, sign me up - even if we were 5-3, this would still be a winning move - because Baron Browning looks like THAT type of player.   With Randy Gregory in the fold as the other EDGE, you simply can't pass up a 1st for a guy you can argue will be no better than our 3rd best pass rusher in 2023.   And with Nik Bonnito flashing and Jonathan Cooper being OK as a 4th guy, it's an easy deal to sign off on.

And here's the thing - the 20M we don't use on Chubb next year extension-wise - much of that goes to Dre'mont Jones, who's an even bigger inside force than Chubb was as an EDGE.   And we have draft capital and more cap flexibility to then devote to our other 2 weaknesses - OL & ILB.   

Honestly, the Bronco fanbase that doesn't like the deal - they're casuals who don't get team construction matters.   This is an A+ move, because we can extend Dre'mont, have guys who can step in cheaply at EDGE, and use the extra resources both $ wise and pick-wise to solidify our inner trenches - OL & run D (plus ILB coverage).    Paton isn't perfect (cough *Hackett* cough - and yes, Wilson is a Q - but the best option we had by far), but man, when it comes to team construction and draft picks, I'll put my trust in him.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

As for Edmonds, he's a 2022-only acquisition in all likelihood - and his 5.9M 2023 salary has 0 guaranteed.    But make no mistake, he helps us a TON this year.   He's not a 3-down guy, but he adds juice where we sorely lack it - pass-catching, elude guys-in-space 2-minute drill / 3rd down RB.    MG3 is totally washed, it's why he's fumbling so much.  It's tough to see it, because even for his past problems, blocking and pass-catching was always his thing - but he's got zero juice left.

Edmonds was sorely miscast as a RB who could do it all - he's a threat in space, and as a receiver.   Using him as a 3-down guy is why he showed so poorly (2.9 YPC).     But what he does well, that's exactly what we need when we pair him with Latavius Murray as the inside runner.   It's not great because the pair kinda gives away our tendencies (although Edmonds can run, has to be as draws/traps/etc., not designed power/must-get X yds running plays).    But it's 1000x better than life with Murray/MG3/Boone all trying (and failing) to give us a burst in the pass game (Murray's been by far our most effective runner - which isn't saying much, but he's clearly the best of the 3 right now - oh how we miss Javonte Williams, but what's done is done).

Edited by Broncofan