Week 8 GDT: Raiders vs @Jags

drfrey13

54 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

We were the Titans first win. AZ is a slouch they're just not slouches to you because they beat us. We were also their first win

last year around this time we were 5-2 this year we are 2-5 with the same or better players. 

I dont think you should look at if we were a teams first win in the first 3 games of the season lol. Teams start slow, teams can lose week 1 and still be good lol. 
OMG the chargers didnt have 1 win when we played them, and we still lost to them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I dont think you should look at if we were a teams first win in the first 3 games of the season lol. Teams start slow, teams can lose week 1 and still be good lol. 
OMG the chargers didnt have 1 win when we played them, and we still lost to them. 

Thats a valid point. I am just speaking against the false narrative that everything we did last year was a fluke and everything we haven't done this year is a fluke. 

That said I didn't mention the chargers purposely for the reason that you just brought up 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Thats a valid point. I am just speaking against the false narrative that everything we did last year was a fluke and everything we haven't done this year is a fluke. 

That said I didn't mention the chargers purposely for the reason that you just brought up 

For sure, in all seriousness though, there is a chance all 5 of our losses make the playoffs. 
Saints in a bad division obviously helps, and Cards have a huge uphill battle, but could go on a decent run i think. 

Getting blown out last week sucks, and obviously the 2-5 hurts even more. . . but this is still a better raider team than 80% of our teams the last 10 years IMO.

32 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Fluke - an unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck.

6 of their 10 wins were walk off wins. They were -65 in point differential (4th worst in history to make the playoffs). And they played teams missing key players with covid the last 4 weeks (all wins) of the season. What they accomplished was unlikely and they were extremely lucky. 

Their fluky 2021 playoff appearance is what has let you and others start this "we have to make the playoffs year 1" narrative. 

Nothing this year has been a fluke. They simply returned to their mean, unlucky breaks with injuries and losing close games.

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

For sure, in all seriousness though, there is a chance all 5 of our losses make the playoffs. 
Saints in a bad division obviously helps, and Cards have a huge uphill battle, but could go on a decent run i think. 

Getting blown out last week sucks, and obviously the 2-5 hurts even more. . . but this is still a better raider team than 80% of our teams the last 10 years IMO.

talent why is it is but we're not winning. That's basically the reason why I'm saying there are other things that we need to look at besides the players. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

6 of their 10 wins were walk off wins. They were -65 in point differential (4th worst in history to make the playoffs). And they played teams missing key players with covid the last 4 weeks (all wins) of the season. What they accomplished was unlikely and they were extremely lucky. 

Their fluky 2021 playoff appearance is what has let you and others start this "we have to make the playoffs year 1" narrative. 

Nothing this year has been a fluke. They simply returned to their mean, unlucky breaks with injuries and losing close games.

See you think about the reasoning bias. You focus on how we win close games against teams that were hurt but we're not going to think about how last year we lost our head coach midseason and we lost a huge element of our offense to stupidity in a 2 week span and had 10 games left to play. And like I mentioned before we lost close games that could be considered the same fluke. So again that doesn't make any sense(Unless you're trying to make a point that's not there).

And like I've explained to @Frankie2Gunz if we had around the same record that we had last year regardless of playoffs that would make some sense. Right now we are picking in the top 10 in next year's draft. On top of that we have regressed in every major category on both sides of the ball(except for the fact that we're not getting sacked as much). That's not a we have to make the playoffs in one year narrative.

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

talent why is it is but we're not winning. That's basically the reason why I'm saying there are other things that we need to look at besides the players. 

for sure. But we also need to get out this, fire the coaching staff after year 1 trend. 
I know JMD has made costly decisions, and Graham seems to do nothing.  .  . but there have been positives by both too. 
We just havent played a full football game, but outside of NO, each side of ball has played good halfs in most games. 

D is all about players believing in the scheme, playing fast, and believing in each other. It take time. 
If Moehrig, is a gamer who doesnt care about his stats, but wants to win . . . 
And you put him in 2 high safety with Abrams, there is no doubt in my mind he is trying to cover for Abrams as well. 
On D you are only as strong as your weakest link. And we have holes on all 3 levels right now. 

O we need to clean up too, but weve done some good things the first 7 weeks. 

Just arent getting the Ws. and it sucks as fans. But unless you go full rebuild mode and blow it up, the halfased bandaid repairs wont do anything. 

• Like 1

One of the losses was because of jmd’s decision to go for 2 imo. Not saying we would’ve won, chances are our putrid D would’ve let them score a fg yes. But if we just take the extra pt. We probably run jacobs on 2nd and 3rd down and possibly get the first down. So then it’s either we win with a fg or we go to overtime as the visiting team so we get the call on the coin flip. I’m not gonna sit here and say fire mcd rt now. However, I will call out baffling decisions like that. And anyone on here can try to defend that decision all they want but their words will 100% fall on my deaf ears. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

See you think about the reasoning bias. You focus on how we win close games against teams that were hurt but we're not going to think about how last year we lost our head coach midseason and we lost a huge element of our offense to stupidity in a 2 week span and had 10 games left to play. And like I mentioned before we lost close games that could be considered the same fluke. So again that doesn't make any sense(Unless you're trying to make a point that's not there)

Win close games after our top WR killed someone, our HC got fired in the wake of Email Gate, Waller gets hurt, Leatherwood and Parker play, we have Hunter Renfrow and Zay Jones as our top 2 WRs, and our new HC is navigating all of that in his first month as a HC ever = fluke. 

Lose close games with a better roster, a HC who has been a HC, make very little improvement on offense, regress on defense, and have some of the most embarrassing results in the league (allowing the Cardinals back, making Davis Mills, Andy Dalton, and Russell Wilson look good, getting blanked by a mediocre Saints team) = you guys aren't giving McDaniels a chance I can't actually justify him deserving other than some notion that he was highly sought after even though he was effectively persona non grata after ditching the Colts at the last second just a couple of years ago and has never proven to be successful outside of a Belichick and Brady insulated bubble. 

Yeah, makes perfect sense to me lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

for sure. But we also need to get out this, fire the coaching staff after year 1 trend. 
I know JMD has made costly decisions, and Graham seems to do nothing.  .  . but there have been positives by both too. 
We just havent played a full football game, but outside of NO, each side of ball has played good halfs in most games. 

D is all about players believing in the scheme, playing fast, and believing in each other. It take time. 
If Moehrig, is a gamer who doesnt care about his stats, but wants to win . . . 
And you put him in 2 high safety with Abrams, there is no doubt in my mind he is trying to cover for Abrams as well. 
On D you are only as strong as your weakest link. And we have holes on all 3 levels right now. 

O we need to clean up too, but weve done some good things the first 7 weeks. 

Just arent getting the Ws. and it sucks as fans. But unless you go full rebuild mode and blow it up, the halfased bandaid repairs wont do anything. 

Weakest link is Graham's scheme and inability to make any sort of adjustments, imo. 

We get abused week after week by TEs and RBs, consistently play our safeties like 25 yards deep on 3rd and short-medium, opening up the middle of the field and allowing first down yardage to be gained after the catch, or playing Charmin Ultra soft coverage on short yardage downs, resulting in seemingly endless first downs, particularly against any type of screen designed or broken play necessitated. 

We have some room for improvement in personnel, no doubt, but the scheme just isn't good and it's flaws won't just magically get covered up by better players. When it's 3rd and inches and we have our CBs 5-7 yards off the line playing some bs mid depth zone coverage, I don't care if your CBs are Deion Sanders, Champ Bailey, and Darrell Revis, you're going to give up a ton of first downs and get stuck on prolonged drives game after game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Jacobs coming back healthy and running hard is what really propelled them into the playoffs. The times this team struggled vs inferior teams last year doesn't get stated enough IMO. Lost to Chicago, Washington and the Giants. Many of them had bottom tier pass defenses.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Top 3 scoring offense going into last week. He's had some questionable play calls, but that is every coach.

Carr is struggling, but he did the same with Gruden's offense early on. They have yet to have all their pieces healthy on the field at the same time.

Last week being an anomaly, otherwise the offense has been solid.

If you remove our 2 defensive TD we’re averaging 21 ppg with probably the highest paid offense in the nfl 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Carr just showed again that he’s not the guy. Down the stretch of last season and in our two wins this year, Jacobs carried us. If Carr can be a game manager we can win. If he has to produce at a top tier level, even with elite talent around him, we’re going to lose. Dude has the longest streak in the NFL of consecutive starts without 3+ TD.