Big Nasties - IDL Discussion

MOSteelers56

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how hot of a take this is but here goes.

My take is that none of the interior/NT types have done enough to separate themselves from the crowd. I think they go in the mid rounds. Siaki Ika, Mazi Smith, Tyler Davis, Dude from Wisconsin, Dude from Texas. They are all about the same and I think none are worthy of 1st or 2nd round picks. Ika maybe, but I could see him falling to the 3rd pretty easily. I love the prospects that play 3-tech all the way out to the 5 in this draft. I don't, however, love the 0 and 1 techs. Not that I think they're bad, I just think the NFL has moved away from guys like that and I don't think we're going to see premium picks used on them. Unless it's a Vita Vea level prospect, I don't we see anymore early round NT types. 

• Like 4

On 1/9/2023 at 9:07 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't know how hot of a take this is but here goes.

My take is that none of the interior/NT types have done enough to separate themselves from the crowd. I think they go in the mid rounds. Siaki Ika, Mazi Smith, Tyler Davis, Dude from Wisconsin, Dude from Texas. They are all about the same and I think none are worthy of 1st or 2nd round picks. Ika maybe, but I could see him falling to the 3rd pretty easily. I love the prospects that play 3-tech all the way out to the 5 in this draft. I don't, however, love the 0 and 1 techs. Not that I think they're bad, I just think the NFL has moved away from guys like that and I don't think we're going to see premium picks used on them. Unless it's a Vita Vea level prospect, I don't we see anymore early round NT types. 

I agree no one outside of Carter will be a high 1st round pick, I think Carter could play NT if asked but might end up as a 3/4 DE as well.  

DJ Dale Alabama is a decent mid round prospect, looked great as a younger player, did not do so well two years ago but this past year was decent and he has a lot of big game experience.  

Keondre Coburn Texas is a late round sleeper that could be a decent NT in the NFL.

Cory Durden NC State RS SR I like him, tough and strong and has a ton of experience, I think he could be a good run stopper in the NFL.

Jeffery Johnson Oklahoma RS SR is a sleeper, he holds his own pretty well and could be an ok NT potentially

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I don’t know what he is, but the Kancey kid from Pitt is gonna give evaluators some headaches. He’s not gonna meet many size thresholds, but he’s crazy explosive.

I was watching him yesterday against Tennessee. Good player, lots of pass rush moves, good motor, but a little small. Slap him down as a rotational DL who will excel in that role and call it a day.

He tests well and he could maybe go late day 2. It’s not a super strong class, so it’d be easy for him to leapfrog some other guys.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jebrick said:

Tuli as EDGE is far superior to Tuli as IDL.  Drafted as EDGE he is 1st round and one of the top 3 EDGE taken.

I have him as a DL, because I just separate them based on size ever since this tweener inside/edge type has become so prevalent.  I think he's likely to be used as an Edge most of the time, but will bump inside on a lot of downs.

It blows my mind that he isn't getting more hype.  Great tape last year, great tape this year, insane box score numbers.  He did get shut down by Braeden Daniels, like twice, but Daniels has up and down tape too, and his up tape is really up.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts on Tuli from USC?

I don't like him as a prospect at all. He's a definite tweener. Plays really hard, but doesn't have great bend or the mass/power to play bully ball. He strikes me as someone that will have to win on effort and intensity. His production came mostly off of blown assignments on stunts/angles that confused the OL. I'm not seeing him rip the edge or put OT's on skates en route to the QB. I also question his size. He looks significantly smaller on tape than what I've seen listed.