Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

We played Hanson...for the love of God, think about that.  We.  Played.  Hanson.  In.  A.  Real.  NFL.  Game.

How bad is Rhyan that we had to do that?

Or how bad are our coaches at evaluating OL talent?

I absolutely thought Rhyan would challenge for reps at guard.  And I'll feel that way this coming year, too.

We played him over Tom too, foolish, but coaches are dumb when it comes to rookies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We played him over Tom too, foolish, but coaches are dumb when it comes to rookies.

Dumb as in they liked his ability but knew that he did not have the playbook down yet?  Hanson was a stopgap who probably did everything right in practice, not physically gifted enough to play (except maybe at C) on gameday. Once that was determined and Tom got up to speed, he was given his opportunities at multiple positions. 

58 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Dumb as in they liked his ability but knew that he did not have the playbook down yet?  Hanson was a stopgap who probably did everything right in practice, not physically gifted enough to play (except maybe at C) on gameday. Once that was determined and Tom got up to speed, he was given his opportunities at multiple positions. 

Could be.

But anyone with eyes knew that Hanson couldn't play in the NFL.  

And I think he only lost his spot once he was injured and went to IR.

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I absolutely thought Rhyan would challenge for reps at guard.  And I'll feel that way this coming year, too.

I have completely given up on Rhyan already.  We re-signed Jenkins, and Runyan is a solid player.  By the time Runyan is gone, we may have drafted a new guy to play some guard.  I don't cut him unless he stinks on ice again, but anything that we get from him is a bonus in my eyes.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

OL is pretty clearly our biggest need

Watching the games this weekend, we could beef up there + add another front 7 player. Those teams all get after it up front in a way that we just do not. 

It doesn't feel good to say this with Myers so early, but we could use competition at center... 

• Like 1

the huddlereport site has a "Team needs" page and listed limit to 3 positions as of 1/9 Packers S,OL, TE.

The other teams listed had 2 S for needs

24 other teams had OL, which is 5 positions really because it's not specific, so that makes sense.

And then 4 other teams need TE.

I'm going to go back and compare and see how much of these speculations are  correct.

Can a team have 3 edge rushers on the field at one time? If you have 2 premiere edge rushers can you throw another one in on the OL if you take one of the regular OLs out?

And since I'm asking stupid questions. Can a WR run down the sidelines and then step out of bounds on the side of their own team? Maybe a long go route  but instead of running all the way back to line of scrimmage another WR steps onto the field for the next down. To facilitate a faster start of the next down. 

I'm thinking I could be a co-ordinator  maybe. I can figure out a lot of stuff just before I fall asleep. First thing I would do is get rid of the word "co-ordinator" it  just looks weird.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

OL is pretty clearly our biggest need

Well one of them anyway.  We do have some young guys in development.  I'd say OLB is our biggest need.  Gary won't be available for the beginning of the season.  All we have is Smith.  Gotta have a pass rush.  Either one should be our first 2 picks in the draft if at least the board falls that way.