Zach Wilson

biggie.

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Is it too slick of me to ask how he supposed to "walk around"? I guess he was smiling, and acted like life was great after dropping another L, then yeah that's bad. But I don't know, should he have had a "moping in mental anguish" type of sizzle to his stride??? Maybe I'm being too literal about that quote though. 

Be more like Derrick Henry.

Seriously though, if Wilson did something like this I’m sure it’d be viewed as cheesy or phony based off what we’re hearing about his rep in that locker room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Amazes me how he was seen as a better prospect than Justin Fields

To the NFL, yeah, but I think the general fan consensus on Fields was higher.  My memory around the draftniks here was that almost everyone liked Fields.  Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I definitely had him as QB2, and I know for a fact I wasn't the only one.

Of course, I also didn't get a chance to watch a ton of Wilson tape, so I never really fully understood why he was so hyped.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iknowcool said:

They didn't specifically ask that, no, but Mac was asked about his performance and he said they need to find a way to score when they get into or near the red-zone.  Far more accountability in that answer than anything Wilson said in his press conference, from what I've seen.

I guess I'm just not seeing your point.  Whether you think Wilson's answer is a big deal or not, there is no way to argue the Jets offense didn't fail the defense.  They had 2 total yards in the 2nd half.  Again who is to say the Patriots return that for a TD if they didn't punt 7 times in a half and often after 3-and-outs?  I guess I just don't get your POV.  Sure maybe people are overreacting to Wilson saying "no" (although again if you are a starting QB in this league, you just have to know to take accountability in those situations, even if it isn't all on you - just how it is, you are the leader for a reason) but to say they didn't fail the defense because they scored 3 points like the Patriots did?  Nah.  

Football is a team game. Sounds like the entire offense sucked if they only got 2 yds. Can we say that the OL and RB let the defense down as much or more than Wilson?

It was a lazy and confrontational question that no one should be surprised at his answer. Sounds like Mac fielded a much more appropriate question and responded in a better way.

It's a team game and if no QB is ever solely responsible for team success, neither is one solely responsible for "letting down" the defense in a 3-3 game, either.

It as a bad question and an unsurprising response to how it was phrased. Yes, Wilson is a terrible QB who played terribly, but we should also recognize the context and how bad the question was.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Football is a team game. Sounds like the entire offense sucked if they only got 2 yds. Can we say that the OL and RB let the defense down as much or more than Wilson?

It was a lazy and confrontational question that no one should be surprised at his answer. Sounds like Mac fielded a much more appropriate question and responded in a better way.

It's a team game and if no QB is ever solely responsible for team success, neither is one solely responsible for "letting down" the defense in a 3-3 game, either

Maybe it depends on how you interpret it, but to me the reporter is asking him about the offense as a whole, not literally just Wilson himself. He starts by saying “as an offense” and then uses a general “you”.

It wouldn’t have hurt for Wilson to say, “yes, the offense was bad.” Does it matter? No, not really… but it ain’t like this is the first example of Wilson not taking accountability. It would be easier for everyone to dismiss the answer if he didn’t already have questions about his maturity. There are multiple reports out there how players and coaches are frustrated with him.

But if you feel like the reporter was specifically asking Wilson if he failed the defense then I can see your point on it being a bad question. He probably should have phrased it better but I do genuinely think he was asking about the offense as a whole hence why he started his question the way he did.

It doesn’t help that Wilson continued to make excuses throughout. 

Again, is it a big deal? No. But what other QB do you know that is blaming the wind and pointing at the other teams passing performance to defend his own? I can speak for my own best but Cam was always accountable even when he didn’t need to be. And at the very least I never saw him point fingers at the other team to defend his own performance. The throwing deep comment doesn’t even make sense considering how many misses he had as a check down. 

So sure Wilson’s response isn’t bad if you look at it by itself and yes it could have been worded better but it cements what people felt about him when you consider context. I think most QBs after that performance would have said yes the offense let the defense down, because they quite clearly did 

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

momma mia

It's frustrating because it's why draft someone like Zach Wilson. There was a 20-30mph crosswind blowing all over the field, and while most QBs aren't going to test a deep ball in those conditions - you'd hope someone with Zach's arm strength to be able to force that one through.

• Like 2