Commanders release "Statue" (Mannequin) of late Safety Sean Taylor

RaidersAreOne

22 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Here is another thought, does Sean Taylor NEED a memorial? Maybe not, plenty of people tragically pass away that dont get memorialized despite having a profound effect on others. This isnt me suggesting he shouldnt be memorialized, let me explain, my point is simply this, if you're going to do something to honor someones memory and impact, do it right from the get go. A Bronze Statue outside of Washington's Stadium, a memorial plaque inside of the stadium itself, anything of the sort would be a true honor over the mockery and blatant apit in the face Snyder has done, not once, but twice now. Sean Taylor from what i'd learned about him during his football career about his life was a good human being who treated others with great respect and cared about his community. He doesn't deserve to have his memory spit on.

The funny part about this is that he is already memorialized.  His entire locker was removed and is encased in glass in the club level.  So if you want to do something, cart that downstairs.  Don’t put up a dumb mannequin that looks like you borrowed it from Macy’s, with mismatched uniform pieces.  

• Like 3

At first I thought at least they used his own game worn equipment, maybe even from his last game.. but no.. they had an intern pull out some junk from the closet and put some glass around it. I'm embarrassed for Washington fans

Edited by adamq

The last thing in the world I want to do is sound like I'm defending Snyder, but some context is perhaps helpful...

There was disappointment around the fact that the statue was actually just a mannequin sporting Taylor’s jersey. The jersey and pants used different brands. Fans were also confused why the statue was wearing Adidas soccer cleats. However, Washington was actually sort of right with this detail and not careless with the details as some fans speculated.

Taylor wore soccer cleats during some of his football games by choice, but often he sported the Nike “Total 90” style, according to Yahoo! Sports’s Shalise Manza Young.

Then, Taylor’s daughter, Jackie, seemingly confirmed to reporters that the detail of her father’s soccer cleats was correct. She admitted that the soccer cleats were her favorite part of the memorial.

“That’s something that was super special to him and something that he chose to do,” Jackie said, via WUSA9.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/11/27/sean-taylor-memorial-soccer-cleats-commanders

• Like 3

1 minute ago, titanrick said:

The last thing in the world I want to do is sound like I'm defending Snyder, but some context is perhaps helpful...

This is very interesting - I wouldn’t have known if it wasn’t for the backlash. 

This being said, this still ain’t a gaddam statue.

58 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

I don't think I've ever commented about Washington/Snyder drama, just not my thing.  

But this?  This is disgraceful in the truest sense.   It's not honoring the man in any shape or form.  It's just a uniform.  And it's as empty of a gesture as it looks.   

This. Absurd. Sick. Disgusting. 

All of us hate Snyder more than you guys can fathom if you're not a part of the fanbase. I'm not defending him, but if the family had input on this and this is what they wanted and their daughter was okay with, then it's totally fine.

Frankly her thoughts and opinions on this matter is worth a literal billion of ours.

7 hours ago, titanrick said:

Interesting - but if you go to this effort on that detail why don't you get the uniform from the time he played...