Week Conference Championship Thread: AP Top 4 (Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC)

MikeT14

I'm gonna actually be serious here for a minute. I'm happy the playoff expansion is coming because I prefer these things to be settled on the field. I don't think much of the Big 12 as a conference. The conference as a whole played an embarrassingly weak out of conference slate this year. Seriously, look it up. Their best three wins were over Duke (Kansas), UTSA (Texas), and Missouri (Kansas State) or Iowa (Iowa State). Meanwhile, they lost every single game to a team that is currently ranked in the CFP Top 25 (Kansas State v. Tulane, Texas v. Alabama, and Texas Tech v. N.C. State).

That's weak. If you want to compare that to the SEC, the SEC went 4-4 as a conference against teams currently ranked in the CFP Top 25. Their wins were South Carolina over Clemson, Florida over Utah, Alabama over Texas, and Georgia over Oregon. Their losses were FSU over Florida and LSU, Penn State over Auburn, and Kansas State over Missouri.

TCU, itself, played a weak out of conference schedule. So what's its resume? Its in-conference foes, who also played relatively weak out of conference schedules. Props to Texas and Kansas State. They both played tough OOC schedules (and lost to the ranked* OOC teams they played). The rest of the conference didn't.

* - Texas beat UTSA, which is ranked in the AP Top 25, but not currently ranked in the CFP Top 25.

• Like 1

OSU is in. Thank the debate is between them and TCU for the 3-seed, which I think goes to TCU. I’m interested to have seen what they would have done if Clemson didn’t lose to South Carolina, whether they would have made it over Ohio State or not. Guess we will never know. They definitely made a mistake not going to Klubnik a long while back.

12 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Dabo being stubborn kept them out of the playoffs.

I'm just in awe that NOW is when he benches him. Now. In the meaningless Championship game rather than 2 months ago when it would have mattered and Klubnik could have spent the year even if not winning out, gaining playing experience.

It's just so stupid, Dabo absolutely screwed his teams best opportunity this year. Deserved failure, ridiculous that he made such a baffling error and ridiculous that rather than just sticking with DJ like he had been he just goes nope after TWO drives. It's so incoherent, I'm glad they won't make it.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm gonna actually be serious here for a minute. I'm happy the playoff expansion is coming because I prefer these things to be settled on the field. I don't think much of the Big 12 as a conference. The conference as a whole played an embarrassingly weak out of conference slate this year. Seriously, look it up. Their best three wins were over Duke (Kansas), UTSA (Texas), and Missouri (Kansas State) or Iowa (Iowa State). Meanwhile, they lost every single game to a team that is currently ranked in the CFP Top 25 (Kansas State v. Tulane, Texas v. Alabama, and Texas Tech v. N.C. State).

That's weak. If you want to compare that to the SEC, the SEC went 4-4 as a conference against teams currently ranked in the CFP Top 25. Their wins were South Carolina over Clemson, Florida over Utah, Alabama over Texas, and Georgia over Oregon. Their losses were FSU over Florida and LSU, Penn State over Auburn, and Kansas State over Missouri.

TCU, itself, played a weak out of conference schedule. So what's its resume? Its in-conference foes, who also played relatively weak out of conference schedules. Props to Texas and Kansas State. They both played tough OOC schedules (and lost to the ranked* OOC teams they played). The rest of the conference didn't.

* - Texas beat UTSA, which is ranked in the AP Top 25, but not currently ranked in the CFP Top 25.

Totally agree.

That said, much like my issue with the B1G, this year especially we are seeing one division far and away better than the other. Bama didn’t play Georgia, lost to LSU and Tennessee, and did not play South Carolina. This year the quality wins just aren’t there.