Week 14: VIKINGS (10-2) at Lions (5-7)

swede700

38 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm actually more concerned that it would benefit the Packers if we beat Detroit. They were eliminated from winning the division and can only make a wildcard this season.

Packers need A LOT to go right for them to win the final wild card. Would be great to knock them out officially in Lambeau if they're not out by then.

Tough game against Miami yet on their schedule as well.

• Like 2

The Lions have won four of their last five game, which has moved them onto the fringes of the NFC playoff picture heading into the final weeks of the regular season.

A win over the Vikings in Week 14 would push them even closer to a seat at the postseason table and Lions head coach Dan Campbell isn’t doing anything to downplay the magnitude of the matchup with their divisional rivals.

Campbell: “This is big. It’s big for our players, it’s big for us. Shoot, it’s a big game for them. But man, look, they’re all special, but this is one of those games, this is why you’re into coaching, this is why you’re into playing, this is why you love the game of football. It’s going to be awesome.”

The Lions had a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter of a Week Three game against the Vikings, but gave up two touchdowns in the final eight minutes to let the game get away from them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/06/dan-campbell-vikings-game-is-big-why-you-get-into-coaching/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Good luck to you all this weekend. On paper this looks like it should be quite a game, but this will depend on which schizophrenic Detroit team shows up.

I'm sure Dan will be all amped up to try to make up for that bad call to go for the FG in the last meeting.  It will be a good one.  

With Evans being out for the foreseeable future, they'll need all the healthy bodies at CB they can get.  I especially don't think they'd want Duke Shelley starting in the playoffs.  

They'll have a little while to activate Chandler, so I imagine they'll treat him similarly to Ellefson and wait until the last possible moment to activate him.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

With Evans being out for the foreseeable future, they'll need all the healthy bodies at CB they can get.  I especially don't think they'd want Duke Shelley starting in the playoffs.  

They'll have a little while to activate Chandler, so I imagine they'll treat him similarly to Ellefson and wait until the last possible moment to activate him.  

Well, now Ellefson was put on IR again, along with Evans.  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I am a bit concerned for Evans. 3 concussions for the season so far!  That's a lot of brain injury to recover from!  If healthy, he has a bright future in football.  However, I am more concerned that he have a healthy future whenever he's done with football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Relax said:

I am a bit concerned for Evans. 3 concussions for the season so far!  That's a lot of brain injury to recover from!  If healthy, he has a bright future in football.  However, I am more concerned that he have a healthy future whenever he's done with football.

Same.  That's likely why they put him on IR...to find out why it's happening and maybe a different helmet could help.  

• Like 1

This team needs to learn how to play with lead...that's one reason why they end up in lot of these close games despite having multiple scores lead during the game. I can recollect Bears, Cardinals and Jets games this year where they blew large leads. All these 3 were home games too.

• Like 2

Lions coach Dan Campbell ignored the analytics and attempted a field goal late in Detroit’s Week Three loss at Minnesota, and he still regrets it. In fact, he’ll always regret it.

The Lions were leading 24-21 with 1:14 left in the game when Campbell decided to try a field goal on fourth-and-4. Going for it and getting it would have sealed the win. Instead the Lions missed a 54-yard field goal, the Vikings took over in great field position, and Minnesota drove for a game-winning touchdown. As he prepares to face the Vikings again on Sunday, Campbell said this week that he’s still kicking himself for kicking on fourth down.

Campbell: “Look, it burns me, 0f course it burns me. That’ll be there until the day I die. That’s not going to go away.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/08/dan-campbell-ill-regret-not-going-for-it-on-fourth-down-against-the-vikings-until-i-die/

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

If he keeps coaching the lions,  he'll have many more bad decisions leading to losses to come

Yup. Players will only play for a coach through so many self-inflicted losses. Campbell should run practices and give pep talks before the game and at halftime. The Lions should make him delegate the actual coaching decisions to others.