Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I certainly don't think so and furthermore think he'd be nuts to go to the AFC. It's why I think this is more about the "wooing" for him than any honest consideration of playing there.

He wouldn't be meeting with them unless he's giving it "honest consideration"  Think you have Rodgers pegged all wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Aaron would be an idiot to not go to the Jets.

He knows Hackett. They’ve got the most promising young depth chart in the NFL. There’s nobody else in the division except for Allen, but Allen’s contract is hitting the Bills now and they’re not improving much.

Agree, but he's a relationship guy.  Who does he hang out with in NY?  A bunch of 22 year olds he doesn't know?  I think the grind and having nobody to hang with makes it tough.  That's why I think having a Cobb and Lewis there would help him.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Final musings

This is all probably too much information, sorry about that. For me, there are three clear takeaways:

• We cannot cut Rodgers.
  • It will be very hard to find a trade partner, and if we do, the haul will probably be a lot lower than many of you expect. With a choice of 60M for one year or 110M for two years plus all the questions about this year's performance, I think we'd be lucky to see a first rounder.
  • If Rodgers does not want to retire and we find no trade partners, the Packers are pretty much doomed. We'd be forced to carry him next year with a 31M cap hit and be saddled with a colossal dead cap of 68M in 2024, assuming we get rid of him then.

Honestly, I always liked Gute but looking at the details of this contract, it's extremely hard to defend it. This contract will single handedly destroy the Packers for the next 2-3 years unless Rodgers retires or we find a trade partner.

Didn't find anything in the original about how great this contract is for trading Rodgers....

You know, on November 1 of 2022.  When the contract was signed in March of 2022.

Outpost31

My analysis of his contract is a lot more user friendly to read:

It’s bull****.

All of us like to be appreciated and valued.  Gute can't make Rodgers walk away, he can't make him want to get traded; he can't make him accept contract-restructure proposals from the Jets; he can't make him retire; he can't make him attend optional offseason activities; and he can't make him invite rookies to bars or water skiing.  

But Rodgers has said he wanted to be involved in organizational leadership and decision-making. Gute can respect that and tell him, yeah, I'm ready to start over with Love; ready to go younger; needing to rebuild; don't think Cobb and Lazard make sense moving forward; needing to reset the cap after years of deferring cap payments, so won't be active in acquiring pricey FA's.  We need to shift Buildican at this point.  And yeah, if you wanna be a part of that, we'd appreciate you being all-in on the reset, and invest in our young players.  

If Rodgers says yes, I understand where you're at, but I still want to come back, I'm good with being part of your Buildican plans, he's got that choice.  It's always his call.  And if he doesn't, and says he'd like to go to a team that's full Nowacrat, that's his call too.  It's always been his call.  

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Final musings

This is all probably too much information, sorry about that. For me, there are three clear takeaways:

• We cannot cut Rodgers.
  • It will be very hard to find a trade partner, and if we do, the haul will probably be a lot lower than many of you expect. With a choice of 60M for one year or 110M for two years plus all the questions about this year's performance, I think we'd be lucky to see a first rounder.
  • If Rodgers does not want to retire and we find no trade partners, the Packers are pretty much doomed. We'd be forced to carry him next year with a 31M cap hit and be saddled with a colossal dead cap of 68M in 2024, assuming we get rid of him then.

Honestly, I always liked Gute but looking at the details of this contract, it's extremely hard to defend it. This contract will single handedly destroy the Packers for the next 2-3 years unless Rodgers retires or we find a trade partner.

Didn't find anything in the original about how great this contract is for trading Rodgers....

You know, on November 1 of 2022.  When the contract was signed in March of 2022.

incognito_man

Summary: No team can be a contender with Aaron Rodgers on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Like a lot of your posts Mr. Anonymous but you are way off base on this one.  Rodgers wouldn't meet with the Jets if he's planning on coming back to GB.  Discussions have been had and both sides agreed to move on.  This probably occurred well before his "Darkness Retreat".  Rodgers will not be playing for the Packers next season mark it down. 

Hope you're right and I'm wrong. Think my read on Aaron is spot on though. He's still just a sappy statement about his "love and commitment for Green Bay" away from not following the exact same path Brett Favre did.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Barry performed better than Rodgers without his star EDGE rusher. Didn’t allow 21 points in the final five games.

Twice his defense held the top 5 Lions offense under 21 points. The top 5 offense, worst defense. Rodgers scored 25 points total in those two games.

Aaron’s final 5 games he wasn’t above a QB rating of 96 once. He had 5 total touchdowns and 3 interceptions in his final 5 games.

So your opinion is wrong.

And we needed the defense to step up in the last 5 games and they didn't either.  Man, everyone and his uncle around here were calling for Barry's head on a platter all season long.  How quickly folks forget...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree, but he's a relationship guy.  Who does he hang out with in NY?  A bunch of 22 year olds he doesn't know?  I think the grind and having nobody to hang with makes it tough.  That's why I think having a Cobb and Lewis there would help him.

He'd be in NY.
I think he can find a friend.

@Sandy is the first one to comment in that Aaron Rodgers contract thread concerning a trade.  November 21. 

8 months after the contract was signed.  Interestingly enough, there was no mention about "buying into" a better draft pick.

@OneTwoSixFive makes this mention and gets 4 likes....on Nov. 22.  As for the trade him for what you can get supporters, That contract coupled with his play this year, means he may well be untradeable, never mind how low the compensation that is asked for.

And I'm 7 pages into that thread...still no mention of how brilliant that contract is because it can be bought into better draft picks.  

Edited by vegas492

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

His hit in 2024 would be 31m, another great value. 2025 and 2026 are dummy years, which yes would have some dead cap. That's the NFL now thanks to Covid, any start player has dead cap tacked on to a teams cap for years they aren't expected to be on the roster. This isn't a negative to anyone like it would've been prior to Covid, these are the waters everyone navigates now. 

It’s not just “some” dead cap in 2025/26. It’s alot of dead cap. Which they would have to be prepared to have the space for when it accelerates. 

At the end of the day, since the NYJ have to be the one to exercise the option, the NYJ will have to pay AR $59.5m total for 1yr of play, or $108.8m total for 2yr of play, as the contract is currently structured. What exact year that those hits come due does not change the overall picture that much. 

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But if it was that easy to see, it would have been reported on a ton when it was signed as being a win/win for the player and the organization.

no, it wouldn't have.

it's easy to see the earth is round now because we all have a new perspective.

just like it's easy to see how tradeable the contract is now that everyone is thinking about Rodgers being traded.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

no, it wouldn't have.

it's easy to see the earth is round now because we all have a new perspective.

just like it's easy to see how tradeable the contract is now that everyone is thinking about Rodgers being traded.

Then it really isn't that easy to see, as you have suggested.  

Or you would have suggested it waaaay back when.

• Like 1