Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

8 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

It is nauseating to see the media root for GB to accept an underpayment on this 

It depends on what media you are listening too.  Stephen A. Smith thinks they should get (2) #1's.  Brady Quinn thinks they should get a minimum #1.  Bill Huber has an article that sites a couple league sources that think the Packers will get a first rounder. 

44 minutes ago, squire12 said:

2023 pick 13 OR 2024 1st (pending Rodgers playing X games/% snaps

if it is not a 1st in 1 of those years, then several 2's and 3's + a young player or 2

What do you feel is a realistic trade compensation for Rodgers?

As a Jets fan, I think something like this is realistic/fair:

- 2023 3rd round pick

- 2024 2nd round pick that converts to a 1st rounder if Rodgers plays in ‘24

- 2024 5th round pick 

- Denzel Mims 

I honestly have no idea how this trade hasn’t happened yet. Neither side has much leverage, and there’s a fair deal to be had. The above deal is reasonable for both sides and just one example. 

Side note: Any Jets fan that says 2 years of Rodgers isn’t worth a late first round pick+ is out of their minds.

Edited by BlaZeN37

2 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

- 2023 2nd round pick

- 2024 5th round pick 

- TE Ruckert

I honestly have no idea how this trade hasn’t happened yet. Neither side has much leverage, and there’s a fair deal to be had. The above deal is reasonable for both sides and just one example. 

FIFY

8 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

- 2023 3rd round pick

- 2024 5th round pick 

- Denzel Mims 

Side note: Any Jets fan that says 2 years of Rodgers isn’t worth a late first round pick+ is out of their minds.

Season 4 No GIF by The Office

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

- 2023 3rd round pick (boost that to a 2nd.  Getting Rodgers for 2023 should cost something this current year above a 3rd)

- 2024 2nd round pick that converts to a 1st rounder if Rodgers plays in ‘24 (If Rodgers retires and then unretires after the draft, that becomes an issue.  If it is not a 1st in 2023, then the 2024 pick should be a 2nd if the 2023 is only a 2nd)

- 2024 5th round pick (this feels like filler for looks without substance)

- Denzel Mims  (adds nothing as he is on his last year of rookie deal and not worth a 5th round option, again more filler without substance)

Bolded comments

Would you be pleased if GB offered a conditional 5th for Quinnen Williams?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

- 2023 3rd round pick

- 2024 5th round pick 

- Denzel Mims 

As it's been mentioned already, a quick work around that 2024 pick would be Rodgers "retiring" before the draft and then magically having a change of heart after.  For that reason alone, you can't have conditional picks included that are based on events that will happen after.

Secondly, neither the 5th round pick or Denzel Mims have any actual value that are going to alter the trade.  Those are throw-ins, so let's not pretend like those have any real value.

So you're effectively trading a 3rd round pick this year and a SRP next year for Rodgers, which is a bargain.  That's not a good deal at all for Green Bay.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Do you guys realistically expect a 1st in return?

I think Green Bay expects roughly a FRP in return for Rodgers.  Do I expect a top 15 pick for Rodgers?  No.  But there's also a massive gap in value between the 13th pick and say the 30th pick.  The difference is roughly an early SRP.

41 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

- 2023 3rd round pick

- 2024 5th round pick 

- Denzel Mims 

Justin Timberlake What GIF

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As it's been mentioned already, a quick work around that 2024 pick would be Rodgers "retiring" before the draft and then magically having a change of heart after.  For that reason alone, you can't have conditional picks included that are based on events that will happen after.

Secondly, neither the 5th round pick or Denzel Mims have any actual value that are going to alter the trade.  Those are throw-ins, so let's not pretend like those have any real value.

So you're effectively trading a 3rd round pick this year and a SRP next year for Rodgers, which is a bargain.  That's not a good deal at all for Green Bay.

I feel like there’s ways to prevent that work around, IE. Jets must surrender their ‘24 and ‘25 FRP if Rodgers is on the team week 1 after having already surrendered a 2nd. 

I feel there is a high likely hood that Rodgers plays 2 years. Taking out the condition and just making it a straight up 1st is still within the “fair” range of a deal. Someone above suggested Ruckert instead of Mims, which is something I could see.

EDIT: Disregard the first part. Just realized that the Jets would never do that stipulation because Rodgers could legitimately retire and unretire and they would be screwed. 

Edited by BlaZeN37

45 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

- 2023 3rd round pick

- 2024 5th round pick 

- Denzel Mims 

Turn the 23 into a 2nd and ok lets win you a AFC championship... Or at least attend one.

57 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

As a Jets fan....

I honestly have no idea how this trade hasn’t happened yet. Neither side has much leverage, and there’s a fair deal to be had. 

As I see it as far as "leverage", the only leverage I see the Jets/Rodgers having is to work through the Media to negatively portray the Packers as asking too much, as being unrealistic, as doing Rodgers bad, etc. + the impatience of some Packers fans in these long offseason doldrums who are bored, want something to be excited about, and want the Mock Draft Simulators they play to be adjusted to such a trade. ;)

As far as the Packers "leverage", it is simply that the Packers technically don't have to do anything and even if/when they do, they have full control of the timeline. They certainly don't have to rush to take what they--in their estimation, not necessarily the Jets--think is a less than fair offer and lose all self-respect and credibility with the fans. I mean, some of us honestly would rather see the Packers not trade Rodgers, let him sit or retire, take the cap hit (which we have to anyways), than to be fleeced by the Jets (e.g., just a 3rd round pick, as some Jets fans have suggested).

Again, the Packers fully control the timeline here, not the Jets. That is leverage to some extent. If they eventually decide to take a low-ball offer from the Jets or take an equal or better offer from another team that jumps in at some later point, there is no point in rushing and doing it before June 2nd (when their 40 mil cap hit from Rodgers can be spread over 2 years instead of one year), unless the trade compensation from the Jets or another team was so good that the benefits outweighed the financial cap negatives in doing so before June 2nd. So again, there is no need to rush to make a trade on the Packers end, and if a lower than desired offer is the best they can get, then it doesn't necessarily have to be with the Jets, especially if some other team comes along offering a bit more. Time. That's the Packers leverage.

Edited by DWhitehurst