2023 FA Targets

dll2000

On 3/31/2023 at 7:59 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Completely agree. That’s why you don’t sign McGlinchey. His point wasn’t that though - his point (or at least the way I read it) was about a middle of the road RT not being good enough to be a serious option or an answer at RT. I completely disagree with that. 

middle of the road is not good enough, we need at least one cornerstone stud lineman, I want 2  

hopefully both are incoming st the end of the month, T and C 

I'm sure  Poles isn't looking for middle of the road OL talent to help take JF to the bext level, that doesn't make any sense 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SLCbear said:

middle of the road is not good enough, we need at least one cornerstone stud lineman, I want 2  

hopefully both are incoming st the end of the month, T and C 

I'm sure  Poles isn't looking for middle of the road OL talent to help take JF to the bext level, that doesn't make any sense 

Keep that same energy when he takes some schmuck in the 6th round who we hear how great he is all summer long & how he's the steal of the draft and then gets his *** run all season only then to table OT as a need all spring of 2024 because "well, he's only going to get better!"

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

Solid starter is the need. Stud linemen is a want. Everyone wants Trent Williams or Laremy Tunsil at OT but you don’t need that to be effective. John Tait was an OT for us for several years and he was never anything more than an average to slightly above average starter. He was solid and dependable and that’s it. Never went to a Pro Bowl. Was never named to any All Pro teams. Show me 5 OL at that level on the same team and I’ll show you a damn good offensive line.

Here’s 5 guys I think are pretty middle of the road starters overall where they’re at in their respective careers as of today:

LT Cam Robinson

LG Mark Glowinski

C David Andrews

RG Alex Cappa

RT Morgan Moses

Setting aside scheme fits and just looking at caliber of player, you don’t think that group would be a consistently effective line? I sure do. Who’s the cornerstone stud there? 

• Like 2

The lack of moves on the OL continues to be baffling.

We have 1 NFL OT on the entire team and even he has major question marks.

I say this every offseason, and the OL sucks every season, you have to use free agency to set a floor on the OL. Draft the ceiling, but get 5 professional vets in here in case the draft brakes a different way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The lack of moves on the OL continues to be baffling.

We have 1 NFL OT on the entire team and even he has major question marks.

I say this every offseason, and the OL sucks every season, you have to use free agency to set a floor on the OL. Draft the ceiling, but get 5 professional vets in here in case the draft brakes a different way.

At the very least get a competent backup OG for when jenkins inevitably gets hurt 

2 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

At the very least get a competent backup OG for when jenkins inevitably gets hurt 

Add it to the list.

I have no idea why we can’t add to the OL. It really is something to get a young promising QB and refuse to really fortify the line around him.

It’s been 2 free agency periods and 1 draft and we have added 1 guy who I am confident is a long term starter in Nate Davis.

• Like 1

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Isn’t that probably Whitehair right now, with Patrick or a draft pick at center?

This line won’t be good till we don’t mention either of those guys names.

Whitehair was horrific in pass pro last year and hasn’t been good since 2018.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This line won’t be good till we don’t mention either of those guys names.

Whitehair was horrific in pass pro last year and hasn’t been good since 2018.

Whitehair was adequate before he got hurt last year. Post-injury was another story. Patrick was a professional C in GB and played like 11 whole snaps there for us last year due to injury. Both are stop gaps at best anyway and it’s possible if not likely that neither is a projected starter on this team by August. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Whitehair was adequate before he got hurt last year. Post-injury was another story. Patrick was a professional C in GB and played like 11 whole snaps there for us last year due to injury. Both are stop gaps at best anyway and it’s possible if not likely that neither is a projected starter on this team by August. 

Fingers crossed.

Guys that are still available in FA that will likely sign after the draft and would be starters/upgrades for us

Frank Clark - DE

Yannick Ngakoue - DE

Leonard Floyd - DE

Dawauane Smoot - DE (tore his achilles late last year, would be good to PUP/late season addition)

Jadaveon Clowney - DE/DT

A'shawn Robinson - DT

Poona Ford - DT

Taylor Lewan - OT (not sure he can play RT or if they would move Jones for him coming off an injury)

Isaiah Wynn - OT

Donovan Smith - OT (yes he was dog**** last year, is that an outlier or sign of things to come?)

George Fant - OT (injured in 2022, if reverting to 2021 health better than Larry Borom)

Dalton Risner - OG (if CW goes to C and TJ goes to RT)

Ben Jones - OC

Marcus Peters - CB

Ronald Darby - CB

Eli Apple - CB

Anthony Brown - CB (not great, but better than Vildor)

Shaq Griffen - CB (really good for SEA, bad for JAX - what is he really? one-year flyer to find out)

Bryce Callahan - NB

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Guys that are still available in FA that will likely sign after the draft and would be starters/upgrades for us

Frank Clark - DE

Yannick Ngakoue - DE

Leonard Floyd - DE

Dawauane Smoot - DE (tore his achilles late last year, would be good to PUP/late season addition)

Jadaveon Clowney - DE/DT

A'shawn Robinson - DT

Poona Ford - DT

Taylor Lewan - OT (not sure he can play RT or if they would move Jones for him coming off an injury)

Isaiah Wynn - OT

Donovan Smith - OT (yes he was dog**** last year, is that an outlier or sign of things to come?)

George Fant - OT (injured in 2022, if reverting to 2021 health better than Larry Borom)

Dalton Risner - OG (if CW goes to C and TJ goes to RT)

Ben Jones - OC

Marcus Peters - CB

Ronald Darby - CB

Eli Apple - CB

Anthony Brown - CB (not great, but better than Vildor)

Shaq Griffen - CB (really good for SEA, bad for JAX - what is he really? one-year flyer to find out)

Bryce Callahan - NB

Wait, you mean the 3 or 4 guys that were signed that were "best" on the market are not the only players that we can use to upgrade? Well imagine that.

9 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Link isn’t showing for some reason…

I love this signing…been high on Green ever since he was coming out of USC…is athletic & long and can play inside & out…cheaper version of what we are getting with Walker…these are the type of pocket pusher DL we should be able to sign cheaply…add he is still young this is the perfect flyer.