MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

It seems that he’s surviving the incident (from what I’ve been able to read, anyway)… but obviously nothing is a given. Glad that we’ve had the updates that we’ve had so far. Have to wonder how long he was truly without proper perfusion to the brain and what repercussions might have resulted from that. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I can already picture all the outraged fantasy football managers who lost their championship because Allen, Diggs, etc didn't get to play.

Screw em.

I’m the commissioner of a league and I’m already thinking I’ll just tell the two finalists this year that the championship is officially shared. 

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I wondered if the NFL might make them try to play tomorrow. Sounds like common sense has won out.

They’ll surely just call it a tie. 

I mean the Bills lose HF if that's the case. They should get rid of the week off between the conference championships and the SB. Give everyone else a bye next week and let this game finish, then pickup week 18 in 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

For all the talk of lack of preparation - major kudos to the Bills medical staff. They got to Hamlin, immediately understood the severity of the situation and went into critical response mode. 

Their actions likely saved his life. They don't see situations like this (ever, actually) and one bad decision could lead to a very different outcome - the men and women of the Bills medical staff operated with peak urgency and are the unsung heroes in this situation.

• Like 19

4 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I wondered if the NFL might make them try to play tomorrow. Sounds like common sense has won out.

They’ll surely just call it a tie. 

I would think the Bengals would offer to tie despite having the lead. With the Bills flying home, it has to be one of the two I'd imagine. Maybe they could reschedule for Wednesday but then you'd have to push their week 18 games to Monday imo.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm not sure I want it to be an unending tragedy either... At the end of the day we can only do our best, analyze the situation and come up with solutions to reduce the chance of something like this happening again.

Well said. I'm sure the NFL will spend tons of money to add more science to Commotio Cordis and figure out additional ways to prevent such as increased padding there. All we can do it make adjustments for the future to prevent these situations from happening.

Asking them to stop the sport or become flag football are obviously over the top things. 

Just now, iknowcool said:

I KNOW THIS IS THE LAST THING THAT MATTERS

But holy crap how do you reschedule this game if you’re the NFL?

IMO you don’t right now. If the outcome matters for seeding then do it. If week 18 plays out and the outcome of this game is meaningless give both teams a tie and move on. 

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

I would think the Bengals would offer to tie despite having the lead. With the Bills flying home, it has to be one of the two I'd imagine. Maybe they could reschedule for Wednesday but then you'd have to push their week 18 games to Monday imo.

Personally I wouldn't mind the idea of postponing every game a week (eliminating the bye between the conference championships & Super Bowl), tbh.