Week 18 Gameday Thread (Win And In Edition) - Green Bay Packers (8-8-0) vs. Detroit Lions (8-8-0)

Striker

14 minutes ago, craig said:

This may have been analyzed within earlier 115 pages.  But what was Rasul thinking on that weird walk-up between the two lines and pick up the ball before the 15-yard penalty on the field goal?  I didn't understand it, and TV guys didn't really make it clear.  

1. The ball seemed to be placed, then the center lifted it and pulled it 10 inches closer.  No call was made.  Is that fine and happens all the time, I've just never noticed?  Or should that have been a penalty called, false start or something?
  2. What was Rasul thinking, what was his purpose?  
  3. The announcers seemed to think Rasul messing with the ball may not have been the penalty?  After doing the weird walk up to mess with the ball, did he then subsequently get hassled a little and he did some stupid personal foul that the TV didn't show?  

From the TV presentation, I just had zero idea what was going on there.  Never saw anything like that, so trying to understand.  It just seemed characteristically Packers dumb/undisciplined.  And a 48-yard field-goal in the cold was no gimme.  So the impact might have made a 3-point difference plus field position besides.  

MLF was calling a time out.  Rasul didn't want to let the kicker get a practice kick off.  Why he slapped back at the guy that pushed him is anyone's guess.  Pretty dumb move though.  I thought that it should have been a false start.  The LS seemed to move the ball a lot and it was not at all fluid.  But that may or may not have been after the time out was granted and the whistle blew.  

5 minutes ago, craig said:

While asking about bizarre, dumb/undisciplined plays, what was Walker thinking?  He's gotten a bunch of personal foul penalties, it seems.  

Is that something a guy can "learn" with experience?  Or if you're wired as a crazy, impulsive hothead, is that just built in, kinda unfixable, and personal foul penalties will plague him all his career?  Or just a few rookie flukes and he'll outgrow that?  

Given the physical centrality of ILB in a defense, kinda ominous to have a kinda dumb guy there.  Seems like a lot of good ILB are pretty sharp, alert diagnosticians.  I kinda fear Walker may not have that.  

I understand why Walker pushed the guy.  I understand why he did it in Buffalo too.  Both times he was retaliating.  It is very poor judgement.  Don't take that as excusing the pushes because that is not what I meant.  He was penalized, and ejected, as he should have been.  Walker needs to have better situational awareness.  And let's say that is a player and not a coach.  Walker still needs to not retaliate after the whistle, or he will continue to get stupid penalties trying to be a tough guy.

• Like 1

Walker has to have some sort of personality disorder where he had it impressed upon him that you never back down from anyone and he took it to mean literally anyone.

Watch out for this dude around children. Some toddler throws a play pen ball at him and Walker's gonna yeet him out the window.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I think Rogers is done now: 

• Big Dawg, Crosby, Cobb will all be gone
  • Having another year like this one is a risk to legacy, that TD to Int ratio is important to him
  • Seems like play calling and him don't gel
  • It didn't really look like he had fun out there this season
  • Lots of frustration with mental mistakes from team mates, don't see that ending soon, still a young team
  • He knows the team will not be comeptitive enough next season
  • Brady will probably carry on playing
  • He mentions his age alot, how much he has done, he sounds finished
  • He got a billionaire's daughter to impress

Also I think MLF will be better out of the shadow of Rodgers but like many I question does he have the personality to drive a team forward.

Defo a fan of Gute, such a nice man, like him

Defeats always look bad initially. I do believe we have the nucleus of a good team here. Rodgers may or may not be back, but moving on to Love would not be the worst thing in the world. After watching a lot of games this year, my guess is that Love is probably better than about 8-10 current starting quarterbacks in the league right now.  And who knows, maybe with real game experience he MIGHT he become a top 15 quarterback if allowed the chance to start all the games next year. We just don't know yet, but I think he's earned the chance.

Need Doubs and Watson to get better and we need a third receiver to really open the field up. I would say tight end should be a top concern for the team.

The sad part of this game to me was the lack of poise exhibited by the Packers at times.  Plus, I got to hand it to the Lions, they played with tons of patience and poise. They have a very good offensive scheme, a very good offensive line, vastly underrated wide receivers, a tough hard nosed running back, and a quarterback that throws the ball on time. We disrupted his rhythm in the first quarter but the offensive line shored things up and they got their rhythm in the second half (just like their coach said they would).  They feed off the confidence of their coach.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not LeFleur was really meant to be a head coach and not just an offensive coordinator. His head coaching decisions regarding defensive coordinator and the special teams to me are a red flag. But if I give it a day or two I might change my mind on that too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Walker has to have some sort of personality disorder where he had it impressed upon him that you never back down from anyone and he took it to mean literally anyone.

Watch out for this dude around children. Some toddler throws a play pen ball at him and Walker's gonna yeet him out the window.

Or and a much more likely scenario, he's young and immature. Which by the way, would mean he has a lot in common with the post I'm quoting. 

8 hours ago, FAH1223 said:

Unfortunately 

Gutekunst and LaFleur signed contract extensions last summer.

Murphy remains until 2025.

So what.

It has become clear that this organization lacks the mental toughness to win key post season games.   

Green Bay is more talented overall than Detroit.   The Packers were at home.   The Packers played/coached scared again.  The Packers were the more undisciplined team.  The difference in this game was every bit as much or more on coaching and leadership as it was on player performance.

Maybe we need to bite a few knee caps?

1 minute ago, hitnhope said:

So what.

It has become clear that this organization lacks the mental toughness to win key post season games.   

Green Bay is more talented overall than Detroit.   The Packers were at home.   The Packers played/coached scared again.  The Packers were the more undisciplined team.  The difference in this game was every bit as much or more on coaching and leadership as it was on player performance.

Maybe we need to bite a few knee caps?

This team needs a DC who gets it and a quarterback who runs the coach's offense as designed. I think we have the QB in house, but the DC, not even close. 

Packer fans might want to resign themselves to the fact we are getting nothing for Rodgers via trade. Gonna have to make due with the draft capital we have. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, there's something to this.  

Here's what I didn't like about it, aside from the obvious.  Who was our defensive captain that removed him from the situation?  Who grabbed him and got him out of there and calmed him down?

We need a guy who can play on the edge, but come back to it and be a thinker when needed.  Let's just admit this about Quay....he ain't never going to be a thinker.

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This team needs a DC who gets it and a quarterback who runs the coach's offense as designed. I think we have the QB in house, but the DC, not even close. 

Packer fans might want to resign themselves to the fact we are getting nothing for Rodgers via trade. Gonna have to make due with the draft capital we have. 

Not sure how this relates to my post.

Couldn't agree more about the need for a change in DC.   Unfortunately we need to change out more than just the QB and DC.   

Detroit wanted that game more.  Played harder than we did.  Played more intelligently than we did.  Was more varied in their attack and played looser than we did.    None of these speak well to our Staff. We have come out flat, boring, and tight too many times in recent years to think that a change in DC fixes the problems. 

Our 1st half approach was horrible in the red zone.   Our OL got manhandled inside.    We had 2 players on offense who put in a plus performance - bakhtiari and Watson.

-Tonyan gave us what he could.   

The rest were net negatives.

Anyone know what the heck Doubs was thinking out there?  Looked like he was sleep walking and just going through the motions.

No fire.  No emotion.  Like he was playing scared.

Watson, though.....has just gotten progressively better.  Dude now has confidence.  Clearly we need another one to go with him, I'm hoping it is Doubs, but I'm not sure.  

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I still think there are plenty of teams dumb enough to part with some solid draft capital for Aaron Rodgers.  

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Anyone know what the heck Doubs was thinking out there?  Looked like he was sleep walking and just going through the motions.

No fire.  No emotion.  Like he was playing scared.

Watson, though.....has just gotten progressively better.  Dude now has confidence.  Clearly we need another one to go with him, I'm hoping it is Doubs, but I'm not sure.  

Watson should have had double the targets.  Doubs seemed overwhelmed ... very disappointing performance.

• Like 1

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Watson should have had double the targets.  Doubs seemed overwhelmed ... very disappointing performance.

I hate the shots we see of the play from tv.  Watson looked to have 3-4 yards on every QB on those "go" type routes all game long.  But I couldn't see where the safety was back there.  But I know they only had one, because there were 10 guys on the screen at the snap.

We need a "Vante type receiver (possession/route runner) to pair with Watson.  It honestly should be Doubs, but he was just non existent last night.