Week 18 Gameday Thread (Win And In Edition) - Green Bay Packers (8-8-0) vs. Detroit Lions (8-8-0)

Striker

13 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Lack of turnovers on defense.

Multiple careless penalties and the ejection.

Defense couldnt stop them to give offense a final chance. 

It should have never came down to this. Our 50-million-dollar QB was awful in the biggest moments, again. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Lack of turnovers on defense.

Multiple careless penalties and the ejection.

Defense couldnt stop them to give offense a final chance. 

Hard to get turnovers when the offense isn't throwing the ball away. The forced fumble they had bounced right into Goff's belly. 

Ah yes, the [checks notes] two defensive penalties for 20 yards really ****ed this team over. Meanwhile the offensive penalties of 2 for 15 yards were absolutely fine. Right?

Defense stopped them all night. 17 points in an NFL game against a top 5 offense is an outstanding performance. 

Offense couldn't score in a brothel with a handful of benjamins. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hard to get turnovers when the offense isn't throwing the ball away. The forced fumble they had bounced right into Goff's belly. 

Ah yes, the [checks notes] two defensive penalties for 20 yards really ****ed this team over. Meanwhile the offensive penalties of 2 for 15 yards were absolutely fine. Right?

Defense stopped them all night. 17 points in an NFL game against a top 5 offense is an outstanding performance. 

The penalties probably cost 3 points going into the half, not having quay on the final drive trick play probably made a difference. 

That lions team is not a top 5 offense on the road.

Lions were gashing us on the ground all game. 

Im not saying offense is blameless and do feel they carry the majority, but lets not pretend the defense was the 2000 ravens. 

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 1

Just now, HokieHigh said:

The penalties probably cost 3 points going into the half, not having quay on the final drive trick play probably made a difference. 

That lions team is not a top 5 offense on the road.

Im not saying offense is blameless and do feel they carry the majority, but lets not pretend the defense was the 2000 ravens. 

No it didn't. They had a 47 yard field goal before the penalty. I know he missed one earlier, but even including that miss, Badgley is an 80% FG kicker from 40-49 yards. 

Would it have, or would Quay have been sucked into the action like everybody else?

In the second half of the season, they average 26.4 points per game on the road. 

No one is saying the defense was the 2000 Ravens. What I am saying is that when we lose a game 35-40, nobody lambasts the offense and says, "It was a team loss. I know you scored 10 more points than average, but you need to do more to pick your teammates up." It is exclusively, "The defense sucked!!!"

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No it didn't. They had a 47 yard field goal before the penalty. I know he missed one earlier, but even including that miss, Badgley is an 80% FG kicker from 40-49 yards. 

Would it have, or would Quay have been sucked into the action like everybody else?

In the second half of the season, they average 26.4 points per game on the road. 

No one is saying the defense was the 2000 Ravens. What I am saying is that when we lose a game 35-40, nobody lambasts the offense and says, "It was a team loss. I know you scored 10 more points than average, but you need to do more to pick your teammates up." It is exclusively, "The defense sucked!!!"

There is definitely some blame on rodgers and the offense for the overtime loss to arizona even though we scored 45. 

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The line sucked last night, so did Rodgers. It was a combined suck. When the two of them held up and graded plus, the receiver would suck on that given play.

We need to get Runyan out of the starting 5 and Myers head out of his *** this offseason. Myers over Humphrey continues to be a baffling head scratcher by our evaluation team.

I really can't believe you typed this.  You've come full circle.  Because I feel like I ripped on Runyan last year and you defended him...and I know other posters have cited Humphrey over Myers before and you've defended Myers.

Could be wrong about that, but yah, when you draft o-linemen all the time, it should keep your from the position of having to pay and/or play guys who just can't cut it.

I get Runyan.  He's a "try hard" kind of guard.  But Myers should be better.  And maybe he's the guard while we find a new center (Tom).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I really can't believe you typed this.  You've come full circle.  Because I feel like I ripped on Runyan last year and you defended him...and I know other posters have cited Humphrey over Myers before and you've defended Myers.

Could be wrong about that, but yah, when you draft o-linemen all the time, it should keep your from the position of having to pay and/or play guys who just can't cut it.

I get Runyan.  He's a "try hard" kind of guard.  But Myers should be better.  And maybe he's the guard while we find a new center (Tom).

Runyan is just not OMG bad.  I am thinking of Jason Spitz.  Solid player, does what is asked for him, has a horrific rep for every really good rep.  Please don't pay him second contract money.  He isn't the problem when there are other problems, but probably the weakest link if the rest of the line is solid.

Myers is disappointing to me.  I thought he was going to be really good.  He is average.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StatKing said:

Thankfully by myself. Left leg is pretty jacked up but I'll be good. I heal fast. Good thing I was in my old work truck. The real question is are we seriously  going to keep Joe Barry? 

I guess we have until March or so to really make that decision, but right now it looks like Joe is back for year 3.

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Runyan is just not OMG bad.  I am thinking of Jason Spitz.  Solid player, does what is asked for him, has a horrific rep for every really good rep.  Please don't pay him second contract money.  He isn't the problem when there are other problems, but probably the weakest link if the rest of the line is solid.

Myers is disappointing to me.  I thought he was going to be really good.  He is average.

Guys on the line take time. Even really good ones who start out decently get better with the experience, strength and technique they build up. I haven’t focused in on Runyan enough he does make a +/- play every now and then but overall he’s been steady. Steady is not bad for a guard but of course we have some up and coming youth so he will have to prove he is worth a second contract. Big year for him. 

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yet Douglas had "situational awareness" on the field goal.  Didn't allow a practice kick.

It's coaching.  And it needs to change.

The DB on the 4th a 2 were playing off.  at some point, players might need to recognize the situation and not gift a free release and easy yardage.  that is the situational awareness I am speaking of.  

Douglas play still is problematic in drawing a penalty and giving 15 yards and a much easier kick.  

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Heaviest recent investments are on the defensive side of the ball. While the Offense struggled and ST struggled our D went back to normal after a revelation against the Queens. Most knew it would happen, most saw it coming, but again as the images shows 4th and 2 game, season on the line and we play soft off coverage. Should have been up in their face everyone at the line and send the house. If you're gonna get beat up might as well toss a few out there and see if you can land one.........not Barry, Turtle till they get tired or hurt their hands. All 3 phases of this team stunk, and when it counted the defense that shut down a 12-3 team laid another egg. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I thought Runyan was great as a 1st year starter last year. He didn't grow at all this year and was the exact same player. You can certainly do worse, but you can do better. He's a slightly better Lucas Patrick, without the OC ability. 

Tom is the future at LT or RT. You don't waste that ability on the IOL. 

• Like 4