General Offseason Discussion

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Training Renfrow now would be smart. Like someone said above he was awful in the system. Looked lost majority of the time. 

TBH I’m open to anything 

I'm not gonna say the system is amazing and I have full faith in it, but did he really even get a chance to get comfortable in it?

I thought cutting the Carr cord was reactionary for that same reason- he was throwing to different caliber guys for much of the year and virtually nobody seemed to totally understand the passing O. Seemed like most of the big plays to Adams or even Hollins came on trick plays or very basic route concepts. 

I kinda wanna see Renfrow healthy and with am off-season in the system before making a final decision on him...if only because his play was highly uncharacteristic and almost assuredly hindered by injury. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I thought cutting the Carr cord was reactionary for that same reason- he was throwing to different caliber guys for much of the year and virtually nobody seemed to totally understand the passing O. Seemed like most of the big plays to Adams or even Hollins came on trick plays or very basic route concepts. 

It sounds like they want to move on from Carr because of how he was in the locker room more than anything else. 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Training Renfrow now would be smart. Like someone said above he was awful in the system. Looked lost majority of the time. 

TBH I’m open to anything 

Renfrow is the same player that he always has been. When he has played with a healthy star level #1 (Waller/Adams) he is just a complimentary slot guy and when he was forced into a number one receiver role he had a good season. It was hilarious to see all of our fanbase anointing him as a top 10 dude I was always in the wait and see camp with extending him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good interview with Dave Ziegler at the senior bowl:

https://theathletic.com/4148060/2023/02/01/raiders-dave-ziegler-free-agency-draft/

Overview with those who don't have the Athletic:

• Thinks the offense needs more consistency on the Oline.
  • Thinks the defense suffered from an injury and continuity standpoint.
    • mentions finding a core group of players that fit exactly what they are looking to do
  • Mentions homegrown talent 6 times. Major goal is building homegrown talent in the organization. 
    • Speaks to the fact the Raiders are either 2nd or last in the league in homegrown talent and how important that is
    • What is glaring to him is they don't have a young core

Allocating a bunch of resources to one player at one position, I don’t know how intelligent that is because you have to look at all the areas that you need to improve the team on. I don’t think we’re one or two $15-20 million players away from us building it exactly how we want to build it and having the right amount of depth and having the right amount of starting-level players, too, at different positions. Again, while you have flexibility with the picks and the cap, which is nice, you don’t feel like a restraint in that way, you also have to understand where you’re at as a team and how far you need to go in terms of building it the right way.

He gets it. He understands this roster needs a lot of work. They need continuity, homegrown talent to build the core.

Here’s the thing about free agency: For the most part, there’s a reason why they’re a free agent. Whether it’s age, whether it’s injury or whether it’s the team that they were on doesn’t feel like they’ve met expectations or haven’t filled the role or whatever it may be. There’s very few players that get to free agency that are healthy, young and ascending. It’s not that they’re not out there, but there’s way more of the other guys. And so, I would probably always lean towards, if it was a draft pick or signing a free agent, it’s drafting a young player that you’ve put a bunch of the work in the research in to know who they are, how they fit onto your team, and you have a lot more insight than on that player. And also, they haven’t been on other teams and you’re able to indoctrinate them into the NFL in your system within your beliefs and your culture and there’s a lot of value in doing that. Where when you’re getting somebody else, you don’t always know what the full story is. Who they are, what they are, what they’re about. I mean, obviously we dig, but there’s also restrictions to being able to do that.

Doesn't sound like a GM who's about to go on a spending spree. Wants to build consistency and a longterm roster. 

Thinks the draft lacks top end talents in the first round. See a lot of depth, especially on defense through rounds 2-4. Talks about how you can get a QB in different spots outside the top 5.

• Like 3