The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Adam’s follows him

I sure hope not unless it is very little in the trade.  Rodgers is a great QB but this might be a case of to little to late.  His contract is good for 2023 and 2024 but we would have to make a decision on 2025 before the season even started.  I am sure it would get declined but that might piss him off before he even plays a game for us.  Also GB will take a big hit so I believe they will not settle for compensation that a 40 year old QB deserves.  I cannot get behind a deal for Rodgers that will once again sacrifice draft capital to try and win now.  We need to look to dethrone KC in the next 3-4 years.  Not next year.  This is the same short sighted thinking we had last year.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I sure hope not unless it is very little in the trade.  Rodgers is a great QB but this might be a case of to little to late.  His contract is good for 2023 and 2024 but we would have to make a decision on 2025 before the season even started.  I am sure it would get declined but that might piss him off before he even plays a game for us.  Also GB will take a big hit so I believe they will not settle for compensation that a 40 year old QB deserves.  I cannot get behind a deal for Rodgers that will once again sacrifice draft capital to try and win now.  We need to look to dethrone KC in the next 3-4 years.  Not next year.  This is the same short sighted thinking we had last year.

You're getting Rodgers for peanuts in terms of cap hit, and you're complaining that it's too much to give any substantial value for him?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're getting Rodgers for peanuts in terms of cap hit, and you're complaining that it's too much to give any substantial value for him?

Giving up 2 firsts for a 40 year old QB.  I already said the contract is good for 2023 and 2024 but we have to make a decision on 2025 before the season even starts and he will be due over $50 million at age 42.  You think that is a good forward thinking idea to build a team to last?  It is short term thinking and who knows Rodgers might fall off that cliff next year or just suck in JMD's system.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Giving up 2 firsts for a 40 year old QB.  I already said the contract is good for 2023 and 2024 but we have to make a decision on 2025 before the season even starts and he will be due over $50 million at age 42.  You think that is a good forward thinking idea to build a team to last?  It is short term thinking and who knows Rodgers might fall off that cliff next year or just suck in JMD's system.  

Short of a team panicking, the Packers aren't getting 2 FRPs out for Aaron Rodgers.  Or some hard to achieve conditions where a second FRP is sent to Green Bay.  And I'm still skeptical that the Raiders would include #7 in a Rodgers' trade.

Also, I feel fairly confident that Rodgers won't play the 2025 or 2026 season under his current contract.  The 2025 season has $20.9M in actual cash flow and the 2026 season is a measly $15.1M which are well-below market value.  If he's going to continue playing, it'll be on a new deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think it would be 2 1sts. I think a 1st plus picks/players. Which as long as they're not young core guys is fine.

It's either going to cost more in terms of future pick(s) or less in terms of present picks.  I think any package that starts with the 7th pick that doesn't include a notable pick swap (i.e. 7 for 15 or 7 for 46) probably brings back a conditional '24 pick that tops out as a SRP and that's probably on a very unlikely scenario (like winning the Super Bowl).  I through out this package a while back:

Raiders Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Packers Receive:
'24 FRP (Conditional*)
'25 FRP (Conditional**)

* For the '24 FRP, the pick is conditional on either Aaron Rodgers playing in 70% of the offensive snaps OR the Raiders make the playoffs, the Raiders would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If both of those tresholds aren't met, the Raiders would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play a single snap in 2023, that traded pick wouldn't be dealt and remains with Las Vegas.

** For the '25 FRP, the pick would be similar to that of the '24 pick but with less risk.  The pick would convey as a FRP if Rodgers played in 70%+ of the offensive snaps AND the Raiders made the Super Bowl, the Raiders would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers plays in 50%+ of the offensive snaps and/or the Raiders make the playoffs, the Raiders would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play for the Raiders in 2024, the Raiders wouldn't owe a pick.  Any other scenario would result in Las Vegas sending a 3rd round pick to Green Bay.

The difference between the 7th and 15th pick is worth the ~45th pick in the NFL Draft, so you're effectively trading a FRP plus 2 SRPs.  But LIS, if you're wanting to keep a FRP in the 2023 draft, it's going to cost you more in the future.  On the other hand, if they're not really all that set on keeping a FRP in the 2023 draft, I think you'd be looking at #7 and a conditional '24 pick for Rodgers.  That conditional pick probably tops out as a SRP if the Raiders win the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It's either going to cost more in terms of future pick(s) or less in terms of present picks.  I think any package that starts with the 7th pick that doesn't include a notable pick swap (i.e. 7 for 15 or 7 for 46) probably brings back a conditional '24 pick that tops out as a SRP and that's probably on a very unlikely scenario (like winning the Super Bowl).  I through out this package a while back:

Raiders Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Packers Receive:
'24 FRP (Conditional*)
'25 FRP (Conditional**)

* For the '24 FRP, the pick is conditional on either Aaron Rodgers playing in 70% of the offensive snaps OR the Raiders make the playoffs, the Raiders would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If both of those tresholds aren't met, the Raiders would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play a single snap in 2023, that traded pick wouldn't be dealt and remains with Las Vegas.

** For the '25 FRP, the pick would be similar to that of the '24 pick but with less risk.  The pick would convey as a FRP if Rodgers played in 70%+ of the offensive snaps AND the Raiders made the Super Bowl, the Raiders would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers plays in 50%+ of the offensive snaps and/or the Raiders make the playoffs, the Raiders would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play for the Raiders in 2024, the Raiders wouldn't owe a pick.  Any other scenario would result in Las Vegas sending a 3rd round pick to Green Bay.

The difference between the 7th and 15th pick is worth the ~45th pick in the NFL Draft, so you're effectively trading a FRP plus 2 SRPs.  But LIS, if you're wanting to keep a FRP in the 2023 draft, it's going to cost you more in the future.  On the other hand, if they're not really all that set on keeping a FRP in the 2023 draft, I think you'd be looking at #7 and a conditional '24 pick for Rodgers.  That conditional pick probably tops out as a SRP if the Raiders win the Super Bowl.

Yeah the conditional based on playing vs retirement seems reasonable. We'll see what happens. This is gonna be a crazy offseason for sure.

7 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Adam’s and Rodgers trolling Packer fans one last time 

In fairness, it feels like the majority of Pack fans are done with the Rodgers drama every year and are happy for him to move on.

I can’t help but be reminded of last year when all these random Twitter sources were telling us Harbaugh to the Raiders was a done deal, and then that never happened.

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Rodgers and Adams were arguably one of the most prolific connection in NFL history. If he’s available, we have to try to get him with Adams signed up for the next couple seasons. 

Even if the Packers decide to send him to a different team, at least Adams know we tried our best to land him