The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

9 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

You know maybe that's what they want. Show me they want to be sorry next year so they can have a chance at like Caleb Williams or something. It's really the only move that makes sense

I don't know anything about Williams.  Is he considered a generational talent like Manning, Luck or TLaw?

It doesn't make sense that they would be prepping to tank.  Let's assume that Williams goes number 1 overall next year, the Raiders would have to win 1 to 2 games to guarantee the top pick.  The team is bad with a ton of holes to fill but I doubt they are a 2 win team even with a stopgap bum QB unless they trade some of their top talent, strike out in FA and once again **** the bed via the draft.   

Tanking also wouldn't make sense for JM as a 1/2 win season will most certainly get him canned unless he has a three year guarantee from Lloyd Christmas which I find highly unlikely.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't know anything about Williams.  Is he considered a generational talent like Manning, Luck or TLaw?

It doesn't make sense that they would be prepping to tank.  Let's assume that Williams goes number 1 overall next year, the Raiders would have to win 1 to 2 games to guarantee the top pick.  The team is bad with a ton of holes to fill but I doubt they are a 2 win team even with a stopgap bum QB unless they trade some of their top talent, strike out in FA and once again **** the bed via the draft.   

Tanking also wouldn't make sense for JM as a 1/2 win season will most certainly get him canned unless he has a three year guarantee from Lloyd Christmas which I find highly unlikely.  

Talent wise I think he could be better than both of them. But I agree about the tanking thing. It's impossible to predict if you're gonna be the worst team in the NFL as this year it should've been the Texans before they won one game more than they should have. 

As far as for JM, I bet you anything there's some kind of deal in place where it doesn't matter how many games he wins for like the next two years. 

20 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Talent wise I think he could be better than both of them. But I agree about the tanking thing. It's impossible to predict if you're gonna be the worst team in the NFL as this year it should've been the Texans before they won one game more than they should have. 

As far as for JM, I bet you anything there's some kind of deal in place where it doesn't matter how many games he wins for like the next two years. 

JM needs to be given three full seasons regardless of record and that is not indicative of how good or bad of a coach I think he is.  His first year was well below average but the worst thing we can do is pull the plug too early and have to blow up the front office and coaching staff once again.  You look at the highly successful franchises in the NFL (NE/Balt./Pit.) and some things they have in common are stability in the front office and with the coaching staff   That is not by accident.

Considering the **** show JM inherited it would only be fair to give him three years and then reassess at the end of year three to see what progress has been made.  By the end of year three if we still have a loosing record, not much talent, a bottom tier D and stop gap bum QB or a rookie QB bust, he needs to be canned.  The big question is does Lloyd Christmas have the patients to give him that third year if he has a 4ish win season?   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We can do it but we need to get lucky and be smart.  Make so good trades for future picks and we could have enough ammo to trade into the top picks.  The team we trade with could have an unforeseeably bad season combined with other picks can get it done. Trade players for picks this year and then trade those picks for 2024 picks in higher rounds.  We would have to be willing to lose talent this year to gain serious impact players next year.  Imagine trading Waller and Renfrow for the equivalent of a 2023 2nd.  Trade that for a 2024 1st.  Now you have an extra 1st in 2024 and $41 million in cap space.  There are other moves we could make but you can see how we could reset very easily.  I do not think that Seattle, Detroit, and Philadelphia expected to get top ten picks. 

14 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

That's my take on Anthony Richardson is I think the concept of drafting a quarterback means that he's the best option because it's all lottery. None of them are guaranteed to do well so you just go with the highest potential as long as the character & work ethic is there. 

On the flipside, trying to sign a star quarterback is dumb because our team isn't ready to compete. 

A star QB can take a average team and make them a contender. But I hear what you’re saying. Every choice has a risk to it

Theres traits that Richardson has that are natural and can’t be taught.
He would make plays other QB simply can’t make. It was the same with Josh Allen and Mahomes in the draft. The unrefined parts of their game is why teams hired coaches. Coaches are there to mold a player to the full potential

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

A star QB can take a average team and make them a contender. But I hear what you’re saying. Every choice has a risk to it

Theres traits that Richardson has that are natural and can’t be taught.
He would make plays other QB simply can’t make. It was the same with Josh Allen and Mahomes in the draft. The unrefined parts of their game is why teams hired coaches. Coaches are there to mold a player to the full potential

Every year we see guys get over drafted because of their physical tools and then we're reminded that being a good QB isn't about being a freak athlete or being able to throw the ball far. The mental aspects / being accurate are the two most important things.

17 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Another reason teams could be scared away.

It doesn't seem like he's going to back off of his request for a fully guaranteed contract. If you want to sign him you have to be able to put the full amount into escrow as soon as the contract becomes official. I can't see the Raiders going after him because I don't think Mark can or wants to put $250M+ into escrow to get a deal done with Lamar.

19 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Jimmy G is a bum and would inspire no one to come here.  If we roll into the season with him at QB it will be just as I have predicted a 4ish win season.

Christian McCaffery, Deebo Samuel, Brandon Ayiuk, and George Kittle all seemed to love playing with Jimmy... lol

19 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

How will a 31 year old Adams react when he is faced with a 4ish win season and a Qb who is trash? Will he hold out and demand a trade?

He seemed fine playing with Carr who was "pretty trash" last year considering he missed Adams at a historic rate and the team only won 6 games.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Every year we see guys get over drafted because of their physical tools and then we're reminded that being a good QB isn't about being a freak athlete or being able to throw the ball far. The mental aspects / being accurate are the two most important things.

Accuracy can be improved with mechanics work and development . Freak Athleticism cannot be taught and in order to surpass KC, we need a QB who can make plays off schedule. There’s a risk in all these players but a high reward.  

Just now, bucksavage1 said:

Accuracy can be improved with mechanics work and development . Freak Athleticism cannot be taught and in order to surpass KC, we need a QB who can make plays off schedule. There’s a risk in all these players but a high reward.  

Outside of Josh Allen we've never really seen any QB come in with terrible accuracy and improve enough to be a top tier QB. He's an outlier and will get guys over drafted for years.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It doesn't seem like he's going to back off of his request for a fully guaranteed contract. If you want to sign him you have to be able to put the full amount into escrow as soon as the contract becomes official. I can't see the Raiders going after him because I don't think Mark can or wants to put $250M+ into escrow to get a deal done with Lamar.

I wouldn’t be surprised that the QB market could be at a standstill until Rodgers domino happens. There’s perhaps 10+teams who do not have a starting QB confirmed

Car, WSH, TB, LV, NYJ, ATL,HOU,IND, TEN,  BAL, ARZ,SF , GB