The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

I am under the impression we're going to trade up to get someone more polished or bring in someone like Minshew, Mac Jones, or Jimmy G. We have way too many high profile, high priced offensive players on this team to bring in someone like Richardson who is 2-3 year project. If we waste the offensive talent we have now to just stroll out someone who isn't ready to compete immediately, why do we even have those players? That would be an awful use of assets and if we do wind up doing that, every decision maker in the building needs fired immediately.

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I am under the impression we're going to trade up to get someone more polished or bring in someone like Minshew, Mac Jones, or Jimmy G. We have way too many high profile, high priced offensive players on this team to bring in someone like Richardson who is 2-3 year project. If we waste the offensive talent we have now to just stroll out someone who isn't ready to compete immediately, why do we even have those players? That would be an awful use of assets and if we do wind up doing that, every decision maker in the building needs fired immediately.

Counterpoint, he doesn't take 2-3 years and because of his dynamic athleticism, you can put together an offense around what he does well early on. 

Recalling the 2018 draft and the overall view of the QB prospects:

Mayfield - Deep ball accuracy and decision making 

Darnold - Size, arm talent and poise

Allen - Size, huge arm, poor accuracy and footwork

Rosen - The most technically proficient in the class. Great footwork and accuracy

Jackson - Playmaker who can beat you with his feet. Tendency to miss simple throws

The two developmental "traits" guys are the two who ended up having the best careers early on and have a future, while the others are looking for backup jobs. 

If there is not a generational type talent, draft tools and develop them. That is what you pay coaches for. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Counterpoint, he doesn't take 2-3 years and because of his dynamic athleticism, you can put together an offense around what he doesn't well early on. 

Recalling the 2018 draft and the overall view of the QB prospects:

Mayfield - Deep ball accuracy and decision making 

Darnold - Size, arm talent and poise

Allen - Size, huge arm, poor accuracy and footwork

Rosen - The most technically proficient in the class. Great footwork and accuracy

Jackson - Playmaker who can beat you with his feet. Tendency to miss simple throws

The two developmental "traits" guys are the two who ended up having the best careers early on and have a future, while the others are looking for backup jobs. 

If there is not a generational type talent, draft tools and develop them. That is what you pay coaches for. 

So you want a guy, who runs an offense that featured Mac Jones and Tom Brady, to revamp his offense for a guy who's weakest trait, w/o a shadow of a doubt, is throwing the football? You can cherry pick classes all you want but it doesn't change the fact that ridiculously raw QBs need time to sit and develop ala Jordon Love. I know everyone wants to talk themselves into the new athlete flavor of the year b/c we go through this eeevvveerrry year but you 1000000% need to be able to throw the football for sustained success in this league at the QB position and right now, Anthony Richardson ******* sucks at throwing the football. Will he get better? Maybe. Would like to think if he was, he would've showed that last season instead of getting worse and being flat out terrible at times. As it has been brought up as well, you want the guy to run around, well, he got hurt a few times last year taking all those shots. Why risk it when we need more than just a QB? Makes no sense to me.

42 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So you want a guy, who runs an offense that featured Mac Jones and Tom Brady, to revamp his offense for a guy who's weakest trait, w/o a shadow of a doubt, is throwing the football? You can cherry pick classes all you want but it doesn't change the fact that ridiculously raw QBs need time to sit and develop ala Jordon Love. I know everyone wants to talk themselves into the new athlete flavor of the year b/c we go through this eeevvveerrry year but you 1000000% need to be able to throw the football for sustained success in this league at the QB position and right now, Anthony Richardson ******* sucks at throwing the football. Will he get better? Maybe. Would like to think if he was, he would've showed that last season instead of getting worse and being flat out terrible at times. As it has been brought up as well, you want the guy to run around, well, he got hurt a few times last year taking all those shots. Why risk it when we need more than just a QB? Makes no sense to me.

Pretty much. I want a talent rich QB prospect that I trust my coaches to develop. 

I'll buy the traits. Coupled with the fact he's young and he checks all the boxes as far as work ethic. And I'll trust that most his issues are lower half. Bad footwork and mechanics that NFL coaches are paid to develop. 

I've seen plenty of throws few QBs can make to go with his bad throws. 

Could he bust, sure. Is it the end of the world, no. Take swings on talented players. Draft well and keep trying until you find your guy. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Pretty much. I want a talent rich QB prospect that I trust my coaches to develop. 

I'll buy the traits. Coupled with the fact he's young and he checks all the boxes as far as work ethic. And I'll trust that most his issues are lower half. Bad footwork and mechanics that NFL coaches are paid to develop. 

I've seen plenty of throws few QBs can make to go with his bad throws. 

Could he bust, sure. Is it the end of the world, no. Take swings on talented players. Draft well and keep trying until you find your guy. 

So blow up the entire offensive scheme and redo it for a guy who can't throw the ball well and keep your fingers crossed that after 20some years, he finally gets it. Gotcha.

Not how I would do it but you can think the way you want to.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy is reportedly seeking 30M+ he's the best veteran on the market now that DC is officially a Saint. Spotrac has his market value at $35M APY. Doesn't really make sense to pay him more than what you were going to pay Carr after you just ate some dead money to cut him.

He can ask for whatever he wants, doesn't mean he going to get it. Why did he sign for 7 mil last year because they know his value is not good because of injuries. He wiil need to prove he can stay healthy and this offense is the right fit for him to put up big numbers if he can.

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I could have sworn that you had to have 2 FRPs in order to sign a tagged player, but I can't find anything to back that up.  And I'd put good amount of money that it'll be the exclusive franchise tag applied.

🤣

32 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So blow up the entire offensive scheme and redo it for a guy who can't throw the ball well and keep your fingers crossed that after 20some years, he finally gets it. Gotcha.

Not how I would do it but you can think the way you want to.

McDaniel's said at the combine, the offense is adaptable based on the QBs skill set. Cool... let's see it in action. 

How would you prefer to do things? Sit with another mid Carr level QB a decade and be stuck in the middle?

Richardson, you either hit a home run or you strike out, get another top pick and try again. 

I'm personally tired of the middle. 

28 minutes ago, Geezy said:

were taking Levis at 7.

His pocket presence worries me. Like the dude has no internal clock. 

But, go back to 2021 when he had an NFL caliber OC and some decent talent, you see a guy worth a top 10 pick. Kind of like Herbert in that regard. Bad senior year with coaching changes and no skill positions. Showed he had the juice as a junior and that is what you were buying. 

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Richardson, you either hit a home run or you strike out, get another top pick and try again. 

The new regime is going to have a long enough leash to dump Carr, replace him with a project QB, and then replace that project QB if he doesn't work out? They're 100% getting fired if they draft Richardson and he doesn't make an all time historic leap in the next year or two.

• Like 1

I can see Levis as JMD’s preferred flavor if you will. Big, tall, smart, well spoken, tough with an arm. Personally I’m not crazy about him. His footwork scares me; at the combine he looked like basketball player using a pivot foot and he takes a slight false step with his left foot from under center and his pocket awareness is meh.  Night and day difference between his footwork / awareness and Stroud. Not to mention he’s a few years older than the other top guys. I wouldn’t be too mad at AR15 as he may be the great equalizer to Mahomes or he could be a TE in 5 years. Either way, I’d draft 2 qbs this year. If JMD can’t develop one of these guys, then he just proved what we already seem to know. He’s a good OC but not HC material. My 3 low key prospects are Haener, Baegent & Bennett. Wouldn’t mind taking One of those guys to sit behind Stiddy if we decide to roll that way. 

33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

McDaniel's said at the combine, the offense is adaptable based on the QBs skill set. Cool... let's see it in action. 

How would you prefer to do things? Sit with another mid Carr level QB a decade and be stuck in the middle?

I would prefer a guy who has proven he can actually play QB and not someone who has proven the opposite, is only an athlete (as of now), and when he fails which is where the needle is currently pointed to, we reset everything w/ a new head coach who has to wait for the roster to deplete so he can get his own guy in, he sucks, we're the laughing stock of the league, rinse, repeat. Remember when we did that for the majority of this century? Yeah, I'm sick of it.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1