Official 2024 QB Thread

Danger

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I haven't watched his last couple of weeks, but the two games I did watch (Tennessee and Kentucky), I didn't see anything I loved. 

Watch the SC game. I'm not saying he's anything more than a fringe draft pick. But that game demonstrated to me he might have the ability. 

• Like 1

Starting to think KJ Jefferson might either come back for his final year or transfer somewhere else next year, definitely his worst year so far now that he's not in the Briles offense anymore. But he's been in college since 2019 so who knows. Just don't see him getting drafted as of now.

7 hours ago, WPS said:

Starting to think KJ Jefferson might either come back for his final year or transfer somewhere else next year, definitely his worst year so far now that he's not in the Briles offense anymore. But he's been in college since 2019 so who knows. Just don't see him getting drafted as of now.

If he's got eligibility, he should transfer.  I'm assuming he has another year of eligibility with '19 being the COVID year that doesn't count plus he only played in 3 games his true freshman year.  As a Day 3 QB, I kinda like him.  He's probably not going to amount to much at the NFL, but if he can even be a solid backup QB that'd go a LONG way.

On 10/14/2023 at 12:52 PM, CWood21 said:

Penix is the epitome of what the NFL doesn't like out of their QBs.  On the older side of the spectrum, playing in an offensive-friendly system, and a really good WR corps.  He's absolutely not a top 10 pick by any stretch.

I imagine we'll find out! If there's any legitimate reason he falls, it's his injury history. 

You appear to scout too heavily into secondary variables, at least imo. Age, scheme, supporting cast. Yes, those are all important. But very much secondary pieces.

Scout the talent. Penix has a ++NFL arm with tremendous accuracy. He moves the pocket incredibly well. Has shown the ability to read defenses, make progressions, & throw his man open. 

These are all very similar arguments I made in support of Anthony Richardson last year. I'm confident Penix's stock will rise as well.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 5:35 PM, CWood21 said:

Aside from their age, those two have nothing in common.  Nothing.  LSU was always an anemic offense with a great defense until that 2019 LSU Tigers season.  Joe Burrow was buried on the Buckeyes' bench behind J.T. Barrett, and never really got a chance to display his talents at Ohio State.  Penix was legitimately awful for Indiana, and suddenly he goes to Washington and he looks like a legitimate QB.  Have to give him credit for playing well within the offensive system though.

"Nothing in common"......

.....proceeds to describe the LSU program has having consistently terrible offenses & great defenses.....just like the University of Washington 😂

.....then describes Burrow being buried on a team before leaving, which sounds pretty similar to Penix being buried on a team with a terrible supporting cast before leaving.

We're not on Twitter so what's the point of the click-baity "NOTHING IN COMMON" hyperbolic statements..? For two guys with absolutely not one thing in life in common they seem to have a few relative similarities. 

On 10/14/2023 at 7:03 PM, Danger said:

Penix is better than Kenny Picket, but nowhere near Burrow IMO. I could see him being a late 1st, early 2nd type of guy that some team who's mismanaged their draft capital over the years tries to make their guy.

He's a better prospect than a lot of QBs who have gone top 15 over the years. 

No one is saying he's Burrow as a prospect lol. One person mentioned that the NFL hates QBs like Penix, so another person shared that Burrow shares many of the same "negative traits" as Penix will coming out. 

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

He's a better prospect than a lot of QBs who have gone top 15 over the years. 

No one is saying he's Burrow as a prospect lol. One person mentioned that the NFL hates QBs like Penix, so another person shared that Burrow shares many of the same "negative traits" as Penix will coming out. 

Multiple people were discussing Burrow just a few posts prior...

On 10/14/2023 at 3:52 PM, CWood21 said:

Penix is the epitome of what the NFL doesn't like out of their QBs.  On the older side of the spectrum, playing in an offensive-friendly system, and a really good WR corps.  He's absolutely not a top 10 pick by any stretch.

He's a day 2 QB prospect. Age, injury history, QB friendly offense, 3 WRs that will be in the NFL, rarely faces pressure, slow delivery. 

He's a good college QB. I don't see his game translating favorably to the next level. 

He'll be the prototypical over drafted QB because a team takes because they are desperate to find their guy. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 4

I think Penix could go as high as the back half of round 2, but somewhere in rounds 3-4 seem more likely to me.  Has some tools, old prospect, extensive injury history is going to drop him.  Some teams will take a kicker in rd 2, I can see one rolling the dice at QB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I think Penix could go as high as the back half of round 2, but somewhere in rounds 3-4 seem more likely to me.  Has some tools, old prospect, extensive injury history is going to drop him.  Some teams will take a kicker in rd 2, I can see one rolling the dice at QB.

Teams have been overvaluing the QB position for years. He will go in round 1 despite having the skill set of a 3rd round pick. Seems the trend. If Zach Wilson can go 2 overall, Penix can go round 1. 

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Teams have been overvaluing the QB position for years. He will go in round 1 despite having the skill set of a 3rd round pick. Seems the trend. If Zach Wilson can go 2 overall, Penix can go round 1. 

People said the same stuff about Howell and Willis, not all QB's get elevated.  I think he'll go late day 2 where he should go.

I’ve been Maye over Caleb the whole time, but it’s close. It was 1a 1b coming into the year, then Caleb’s strong start and Maye’s slow start made it so if anyone even uttered “I prefer Maye” on the internet, they’d get laughed at. Now Maye is gaining traction again, and Caleb looked human. It’ll be 1a 1b again when the season is over, just like it was coming into the season.

On 10/19/2023 at 8:56 AM, THE DUKE said:

It all depends on how many teams want a QB.  

Right now I would say Arizona, Minnesota, most likely Atlanta, maybe Chicago, maybe Tampa Bay, probably New England, maybe Seattle and maybe Pittsburgh.  That is anywhere from what 3-4 teams to potentially 6-7 teams.

I would say Penix is QB #4 right now, I would take him over JJ McCarthy because he is more proven as a passer and JJ is on a totally stacked Michigan team the past two years with great offensive lines both years, great RBs and tough WRs with good TEs.  Penix also benefits from having great WRs and they legit go 4 deep.  But Penix is accurate and way more proven as a passer, for example last year Penix had 554 passing attempts JJ had 322.  Sure JJ is throwing at a high percentage but he is not asked to throw as often.

Jayden Daniels is up there also and sure maybe Shedeur Sanders but honestly he plays in an offense now that is not pro style at all and the team is totally focused around him and his success really.  Would be nice to see him play a little more controlled but they cannot do that because the OL sucks, the D really kind of sucks also and they have no real consistent run game.  Jayden could easily sneak into the 1st round also and has a longer track record than Shedeur and is just as dangerous, granted Shedeur is a better passer right now arguably but Jayden is harder to defend because he is a better runner.  

Either way Penix is QB #4 or #5 no question and if teams want QBs they will take them in the 1st round.  Would be interesting if the Patriots would take JJ McCarthy over Penix even though Penix is more proven as a passer, could make sense with JJ with the power run game and playing more under center, and sure it would make Tom Brady happy as well.  

On 10/18/2023 at 12:33 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

I imagine we'll find out! If there's any legitimate reason he falls, it's his injury history. 

You appear to scout too heavily into secondary variables, at least imo. Age, scheme, supporting cast. Yes, those are all important. But very much secondary pieces.

Scout the talent. Penix has a ++NFL arm with tremendous accuracy. He moves the pocket incredibly well. Has shown the ability to read defenses, make progressions, & throw his man open. 

These are all very similar arguments I made in support of Anthony Richardson last year. I'm confident Penix's stock will rise as well.

Yeah not really understanding the Penix hate. Any game I’ve watched of his this year he’s been excellent, reminds me a lot of Tua. And that’s a kind of QB that can be very successful in the NFL. 

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 2