Official 2024 QB Thread

Danger

9 hours ago, Danger said:

I know he was solid last year, but his numbers don't look too impressive at a glance this year to be honest.

Yeah, he doesn’t have the “bulk” passing stats this year but he’s still been pretty efficient so far. The run game, led by him, has been the bread and butter of the offense thus far.

The game this week against Notre Dame and in a few weeks against FSU will be huge for him.

On 9/27/2023 at 9:35 AM, Danger said:

I know he was solid last year, but his numbers don't look too impressive at a glance this year to be honest.

He's a fraud. I watched the ND vs Duke game and he's not comfortable as a passer, he relies on his legs first. His stock will drop as he's further evaluated throughout the year.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Not a good day for Ewers

I disagree, he played pretty well after that bad start.  They should have won the game but the Texas defense gave up that long drive at the end of the game and could not stop Dillion Gabriel as a runner which was the difference in the game really.

That Texas DL was greatly out played by the OU DL, OU with 5 sacks 10 TFLs, Texas with 1 sack 5 TFLs.  The group of Sweat, Sorrell, Burke, Collins was badly outplayed and did not control the line of scrimmage, I was impressed with those OU tackles and the center.  Downs on OU was the best DL in that game.  Hill was the only one that really brought it defensively for Texas and they greatly miss Ryan Watts not being out there.  

Ewers is pretty solid as the 3rd best QB in the up coming draft I feel with his improvement from last year mentally and physically.  And the dude has outstanding arm talent.

Also anyone that thinks Drake Maye is having a down year is straight up wrong.  Dude is playing great and is easily the 2nd QB drafted if not the 1st.  He is extremely solid and like some said even last year, if those two came out last year with Bryce Young and CJ Stroud pretty sure Caleb Williams and Drake Maye would be taken over both of those other two QBs then.  Granted CJ Stroud has played very good recently...

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I disagree, he played pretty well after that bad start.  They should have won the game but the Texas defense gave up that long drive at the end of the game and could not stop Dillion Gabriel as a runner which was the difference in the game really.

That Texas DL was greatly out played by the OU DL, OU with 5 sacks 10 TFLs, Texas with 1 sack 5 TFLs.  The group of Sweat, Sorrell, Burke, Collins was badly outplayed and did not control the line of scrimmage, I was impressed with those OU tackles and the center.  Downs on OU was the best DL in that game.  Hill was the only one that really brought it defensively for Texas and they greatly miss Ryan Watts not being out there.  

Ewers is pretty solid as the 3rd best QB in the up coming draft I feel with his improvement from last year mentally and physically.  And the dude has outstanding arm talent.

When you box score scout, sure.  But it's also disingenuous to discount the fact that Sarkisian's play calling helped out Ewers, and probably kept Texas in the game.  Without that fake punt and punt block that was returned for a TD, that came might have been 21-0 by the time the second quarter rolled around.  Instead, it was 7-7.

Oklahoma's DL ate up Texas' OL all day long.  Quite frankly, I didn't see a huge difference in OL play when Jake Majors got injured, but there probably was some drop off there.  Either way, the DL came to eat and they feasted on that Longhorns' OL.  Offensively, Oklahoma didn't look that great.  Maybe it's a combination of bad offense as well as playing a legitimate defense, but Oklahoma really struggled to move the ball in the second half outside 2 of the final 3 series.

Ewers looked okay overall.  I wouldn't say he played great (despite what his box score says), but I wouldn't say he played poorly.  The first INT was a bad throw.  IIRC, the WR was bracket coverage and he threw it to the inside shoulder of the WR where the CB was playing.  The second one was just a hard hit that the ball bounced up instead of down.  I just don't see special in Ewers.  Maybe another year will bring another jump, but just doesn't seem like he's him.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

When you box score scout, sure.  But it's also disingenuous to discount the fact that Sarkisian's play calling helped out Ewers, and probably kept Texas in the game.  Without that fake punt and punt block that was returned for a TD, that came might have been 21-0 by the time the second quarter rolled around.  Instead, it was 7-7.

Oklahoma's DL ate up Texas' OL all day long.  Quite frankly, I didn't see a huge difference in OL play when Jake Majors got injured, but there probably was some drop off there.  Either way, the DL came to eat and they feasted on that Longhorns' OL.  Offensively, Oklahoma didn't look that great.  Maybe it's a combination of bad offense as well as playing a legitimate defense, but Oklahoma really struggled to move the ball in the second half outside 2 of the final 3 series.

Ewers looked okay overall.  I wouldn't say he played great (despite what his box score says), but I wouldn't say he played poorly.  The first INT was a bad throw.  IIRC, the WR was bracket coverage and he threw it to the inside shoulder of the WR where the CB was playing.  The second one was just a hard hit that the ball bounced up instead of down.  I just don't see special in Ewers.  Maybe another year will bring another jump, but just doesn't seem like he's him.

Steve Sarkisian is a great play caller, but Ewers helps Sark look good just as much as Sark helps Ewers look good.  To me he is easily the 3rd QB drafted next year, dude is legit and I say again his growth from last year to this year mentally and physically is impressive!

Why were Casey Thompson and Hudson Card not some great QBs at Texas, they had Sark calling the plays?  The player does matter, one could say the same with Caleb Williams and Lincoln Riley, Caleb has never been great without Lincoln Riley so that means Caleb Williams sucks?  Not exactly how that works.

OU's DL won that game no question about it, and the lack of pressure by Texas and their DL probably lost the game especially with how they could not stop OU on that last drive.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Steve Sarkisian is a great play caller, but Ewers helps Sark look good just as much as Sark helps Ewers look good.  To me he is easily the 3rd QB drafted next year, dude is legit and I say again his growth from last year to this year mentally and physically is impressive!

Why were Casey Thompson and Hudson Card not some great QBs at Texas, they had Sark calling the plays?  The player does matter, one could say the same with Caleb Williams and Lincoln Riley, Caleb has never been great without Lincoln Riley so that means Caleb Williams sucks?  Not exactly how that works.

Hudson Card wasn't exactly bad for Texas.  Granted it was in limited PT, but over his 2 years in Austin he was 126-191 (66%) for 698 passing yards with 11 TD and 2 INT.  Honestly, I wish they would have given more of an opportunity, but you know Sark sold his soul to get Ewers to come to Texas.  Ewers being QB3 speaks more to the QB class as a whole than Ewers IMO.  I don't hate gambling on his upside, but this draft class is looking more and more like Caleb Williams and then everyone else.  Drake Maye has been okay.  I wouldn't say he's struggling, but he certainly hasn't played like a guy we were talking about pushing Caleb Williams for QB1.  Sanders is probably the guy with the most helium right now, but if his dad has his way he won't be declaring.

Hell, Sark even made Casey Thompson look semi-competent.  Because he was absolutely brutal for Nebraska.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

OU's DL won that game no question about it, and the lack of pressure by Texas and their DL probably lost the game especially with how they could not stop OU on that last drive.  

I wouldn't even say the Longhorns' DL was an issue.  They just didn't do a good job of keeping Dillon Gabriel in the pocket.  The Sooners' running game has been wildly inconsistent outside of the SMU game.  You have to make Dillon Gabriel beat you with his arm.  And given his lack of size, he's going to have a LOT of balls batted down at the LOS.

Is Jayden Daniels looking better this year? His numbers are impressive. When I watched him last year, I felt he was a little too risk averse and erratic as a passer. But with the weapon his legs are, I'm intrigued by him. If he makes strides as a passer, I could see him becoming a useful player at the next level.

• Like 1