2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you don't enjoy talking football, you're probably on the wrong forum.  And I'd consider myself a draft enthusiast, and enjoy talking about it.  I believe the last time a team traded up for a non-top 12 pick and dealt a future FRP was in 2018 when the Packers traded down with the Saints and got their '19 FRP.  Other than that, I don't think we've seen any future FRPs being dealt for a non-top 12 pick since 2007 when the 49ers traded a future FRP to select Joe Staley.

He's right. Trade is done. Go the F away dude. you were mildly annoying 3 weeks ago. Now it's just pathetic, and youre a mod? Sad. 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Imagine making an all-in trade for Rodgers, and then making a win-in-the-future trade.  They're not trading down to get a '24 FRP.

As my esteemed colleague already mentioned, Woody was behind the AR trade.  I do not think JD on his own does this.  He has always been about building through the draft so the Rodgers trade is a bit out of character for him.  As for regaining a 24 FRP, I am certain if the opportunity presented itself, JD would do this.  This does not mean passing on a player they may like in the first this year just to recoup a 24 FRP, but it does mean that if JD thinks he can get a player in round 2 while acquiring future assets, he will.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Logically speaking, who is going to give up a '24 FRP without the Jets moving past the range of the OTs?  GMs aren't willing to give up future FRPs simply because another team desires them.  They're usually pretty prudent when dealing them.

And the Jets very well move past a talent at OT in round 1.  We have two capable starters and a third that was showing promise.  Many assume, as do I, that JD should not bet on Brown and Becton coming back, staying healthy and playing well.  It only makes sense to prevent a potential dumpster fire.  But, maybe JD and the coaching staff feels like we are good at OT.  We are not privvy to what happens behind closed doors.  Maybe Brown, Mitchell and Becton are looking and feeling real good ATM.  If that is the case, passing on OT in round 1 may be a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

How was me saying all along we'd give up 42 or 43 and a 2nd in 2024 that could turn into a 1st with conditions wrong?

We did a pick swap from 13 to 15 and did one moving us up from 207 to 170. The values of those differences equals a 4th rounder. So nothing crazy and is really a non factor if the guy we want doesn't go 13 or 14.

And the conditions for it to go to a 1st was just a lot easier than I thought.

But to bring it back to swinging it our way is him looking fully committed to 2 years (or maybe even more) and he reworked his deal for us to go all in (something he's never done as a Packer recently). He seems motivated to win a SB and for at least a 2 year or more window.

The two year window cannot be guaranteed... ACL tear late in the year? CNS injury??? C'mon mate... and there is a huge difference in 65% of snaps and a SB or AFCCG appearance. So you were way off on the compensation.

With Levis moving higher, it appears the Jets will get one of the OTs, so this may all be moot.

"I told you so" arguments about the compensation are somehow more annoying than the actual conversations were. Impressive.

Who cares. You're not here talking ball, you're here being condescending twats. These arents comment about prospects or strategies, they're attempts at trash talking a team and it's fans for some weird bone to pick that I can't understand. 

I wasn't even participating in any of this and it's annoying.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

QWill not having his contract right now is criminal. Pay the man.

Deal will get done. Very well might be us doing everything we want in the off-season and telling him we will give you your Annual salary of what the other DTs are getting. But to maneuver the contract to fit the cap and all we have to wait and see. I said from the get go with him that we actually could save cap space with signing him long term. I believe he’s making 11.5mill this year. We can sign him to his big deal but make that 1st year let’s say a 5mill cap hit and we just saved 6.5mill more to maybe go after another vet or 2 in FA. Remember there will be some guys better than what’s out there right now post June 1st.

Now that we're hitting the 2nd wave of free agency, I feel pretty good about this offseason so far. It took me a while, but everything we've done so far is starting to make sense for the next 2 years and the moves JD couldn't make while working on Rodgers' & Williams' situation. 

OFFENSE

QB - Clearly upgraded with Rodgers. Tim Boyle is a decent bar for Zack Wilson to pass before even coming close to the field. If there was a to save a struggling QB's career, it doesn't get much better than this. If Wilson doesn't get better, we have a season or two to find the next one. Great situation to be in. 

RB - Hall seems to be on track. I didn't like Carter's performance last season, but he's young enough to bounce back. I loved Knight and want to see him with a decent group of starters. Abanikanda is a threat with his speed. I even like UDFA Travis Dye. At one point, he had 16tds in 14 games. He had 1200 rushing and 400yds receiving the year before last. Played only 10 games last season because of injury, but still almost hit 900yds rushing and 10ypc. This group is loaded. 

WR - I'm still open to adding another WR, but Wilson, Lazard, Davis, and Hardman is a challenging group. There aren't a lot of DBs that have the depth or talent to handle all 4 of them. Rodgers shouldn't have a problem with WRs getting open. If we do add another WR, I'm only interested in guys like Hopkins. I think we're good here. 

TE - CJ & Conklin will likely get better looks now that we have a QB. The interesting part here is that we have guys like Ruckert and Kuntz grooming behind them. After next season, CJ & Conk could be released and free up $15M+(if I remember correctly.) Then we can start our young guys or keep one of the vets here. 

OL - I think this was our biggest concern outside of QB. I feel pretty good here. We added Schweitzer(C/OG) and Colon(C/OG), Resigned CMG (C/OG), added a new OL coach, AVT(OG) is returning and drafted Tipp(C/OG). This means we have enough depth to bench a struggling IOL starter. We didn't have that last season. Tippman is likely our new franchise center. If Tomlinson struggles, we can bench him. For OTs, I keep forgetting Duane Brown basically played with 1 arm last season. Becton physically looks better than ever. Max Mitchell is returning and is 23. Warren Carter enters the chat now. He was great against speed rushers, just struggled with Power. If he's healthy and has been building strength, he's going to be tough. 

DEFENSE

DL - My biggest concern here was getting another DT next to QW. I think Jefferson was a pretty good pick up. I'm still worried about the depth at the position, but I'm comfortable with the starters. DE, JJ and Clemens did really well with the lack of snaps they were getting. I hope they get more this year. I'm happy with or without Lawson, but I do think he will be better this year. Last season was supposed to be a recovery year and he still hit 7 sacks. He's 28, him getting at least 8 isn't crazy. With them and the additional pressure from McDonald, they are going to be tough. 

LB - I finally feel like we have a complete group of starters with Williams, Mosely, and McDonald(if he is moved here). I also like this UDFA class and young LBs we have developing behind them. Surratt, Nas, and Sherwood have had enough time to grow into the positions now. We drafted Zaire Barnes. Maalik Hall (4.42), Caleb Johnson (4.40), and Cherelus (4.50) are perfect for developing behind the starters and competition. Caleb was always a good prospect, but he was trapped in a bad system at UCLA. Played out of position. I'm rooting heavy for Cherelus. Almost a 40-inch vert and is tough.  I feel like someone from this group will become a good LB and Mosely's future replacement. 

CB - Clearly we're good on starters, but I don't know how I feel about the depth. We never move on from Hall and Echols could be getting better. We could probably add someone here. 

FS/SS - I still like the Chuck Clark pick up. I don't know if Whitehead will be moved from the team or move to FS, but I'm fine with either. I like the Bernard-Converse pick as a safety. I think he can be this defense's Jimmie Ward. He won't be a day 1 starter, but I think he can make some noise by week 9. I'm interested in Trey Dean as a SS. If he works out, having a SS with a CB background brings a lot of flexibility to this defense. I think we'll add someone here. 

So on paper, I think we will be a lot better than last year's team. Our schedule is also tougher, so JD still has moves to make but I feel pretty good so far. We still have money we can free up and will have most of our picks next year. Between post-draft cuts, holdouts, and preseason cuts, we can wait for people to become available while we figure our roster out. We could add another DT, S, OT, or potential star WR. I don't expect any of our position groups to be bad. 

• Like 1

Solid write up @rickyt31. I agree with 90% of it, I still think our LBs and S's are very weak overall unless one of these developmental guys like Sherwood breaks out and get significant snaps and balls out. Mosley and Q2 are still too feast or famine. Some great plays and some major swings and misses from both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Solid write up @rickyt31. I agree with 90% of it, I still think our LBs and S's are very weak overall unless one of these developmental guys like Sherwood breaks out and get significant snaps and balls out. Mosley and Q2 are still too feast or famine. Some great plays and some major swings and misses from both. 

Thank you. 

I'm not sure if I would consider the LB core weak. This is really based if McDonald is 1/3 of our starting LBs. I consider a weak group to be something a QB can target all game. I think Mosely wasn't as bad as some people think and was probably the reason why the center of the defense wasn't an easy target. We know he was in the top-10 in tackles, but there are only 2 LBs who had more pass deflections than him. He couldn't gamble a lot because if he did, that left Quincy alone in coverage. He's bad in coverage. As for Quincy, he's great at blitzing and stopping the run and will be 27. I think our group will at least be average together. For depth, I'm just happy to see real LBs behind them. No more 200lbs former safeties. 

Safety, I only feel good because I like Clark and what he brings. I also like some of the young guys, it is fair to say this group is weak on paper though. The potential for the group to be better is there, but it's a wait-and-see thing with them. I think we will add someone to this group by preseason. 

On 4/27/2023 at 6:54 AM, Bobby816 said:

Deal will get done. Very well might be us doing everything we want in the off-season and telling him we will give you your Annual salary of what the other DTs are getting. But to maneuver the contract to fit the cap and all we have to wait and see. I said from the get go with him that we actually could save cap space with signing him long term. I believe he’s making 11.5mill this year. We can sign him to his big deal but make that 1st year let’s say a 5mill cap hit and we just saved 6.5mill more to maybe go after another vet or 2 in FA. Remember there will be some guys better than what’s out there right now post June 1st.

Pretty much this.  Given we are tight to the cap make sense to get everything else done then see how much we can allocate to Qs cap hit this year.

Not worried given how valuable he is.  It'll get done.