Texans fire HC Lovie Smith

.Buzz

19 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

If that rumor of Gannon bringing in an experienced staff is legit I would hire him.  

HC: Gannon

OC:  Reich or Brian Johnson

DC:  Zimmer

I had thought of Johnson as his OC but Reich would work there.

Zimmer as DC?  Don't you think Gannon will call defense as HC?

22 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

they were livid he won

I was livid he won, too.

That’s on Nick Caserio, tbh - if there’s even an inkling that Lovie is going to go down like this, you fire him after that 31-3 loss to Jax and let Pep Hamilton coach that final game. Make Mills, Cooks, Tunsil, Pitre, Greenare inactive for this game. Stack the deck against an ending like this, give deep roster bodies an opportunity to get some tape.

Caserio has been living on some goodwill for maximizing the return on the Deshaun Watson trade - yesterday was a controllable situation that he let get out of control, and he’s now got a coaching decision to make - one that’s void of Watson and Jack Easterby.

If he’s going to avoid a hot seat, it starts right now. He’s got to impress an apathetic fanbase that this team is worth following, or the 4th largest city in the US is going to focus on spring training and how Hunter Brown is developing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The Texans weren’t this bad until Bob McNair died and Cal took over. Bob was a pretty crappy human with some outdated views, but at least he knew enough to run a semi-competent football franchise: trust football people to make football decisions, let business people make business decisions and sign the checks.

At this point, I’m pretty sure Cal signs the checks in crayon. The word is that people inside the Texans organization called Cal “Tommy Boy” became he was so similar to Tommy Callahan from the movie.

Cal has yet to disprove that belief; In fact, calling Cal “Tommy Boy” is an insult to Tommy Callahan.

Honestly I can see the Cal McNair comps. 

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We knew the writing was on the wall for Lovie, but it's still weird to see the back to back 1 year axes. That said, if Lovie was already more or less told he was gone, kudos for him on the win. 

Easterby was running the Texans for those two hires, not Caserio. Dunno why the overwhelming majority of media and fans seem to forget what a cluster F Easterby was.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, biggie. said:

No, just no.

Ever since Chicago started 7-1 in 2012, Lovie has been 17-42-1 as an NFL coach. He now has a losing overall record as a head coach.

The game passed by Lovie a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago and I'm not sure why Houston hired him in the first place. 

Yeah the people crying Would never want him on their team. Dude was washed ten years ago lol

37 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Easterby was running the Texans for those two hires, not Caserio. Dunno why the overwhelming majority of media and fans seem to forget what a cluster F Easterby was.

Caserio has been their GM since right before they hired David Culley.   Job title may mislead media I suppose.

Here’s some interesting feedback:

As someone who manages people IRL, this is absolutely unacceptable as a people manager. You have to trust those around you, receive their feedback and implement frequently. Trying to do this on an island is a sure fire way to lose your direct and indirect reports and perform at a substandard level.

Lovie could have went 3-13-1 and missed out on 1.1, but still kept his position if he was listening to everyone and putting their feedback into the organization - but his ego put only a few in his “close counsel” and that ultimately led to him losing his job.

Edit: Even worse? He MET with players, heard their feedback and said “Nah, that’s not gonna work, we’re not changing a thing,” Talk about demoralizing - you have a great idea, you’re excited and you go tell your boss about it. Then… nothing? And it wasn’t like the Texans were winning much, so something HAD to change. But nothing changed - or (even worse) change was dictated to others.

That’s horrible.

• Like 1

For those saying "if they wanted a stopgap, why'd they fire Culley" - I'd imagine Culley was their planned stopgap, they had their preferred candidate lined up so Culley was fired, and then the first choice either chose another job or wanted to stay as coordinator. Then, rather than hiring a second tier candidate, they went with another stopgap so they could get "their guy" in the next hiring cycle.

• Like 1

‪David Culley was one who got screwed taking an even worse situation and actually looking good before his qb got hurt and then helped make a 3rd round rookie with little offseason reps look good enough for everyone to think he may be future. ‬  

They should have kept him on for what he did. That was impressive.

‪Loves was on an unspoken one year deal and everyone knew it, including him.  He may have even screwed Culley a little in lobbying for gig from inside building. 

Lovie did get screwed by Tampa - big time.  But people don’t want to change coordinators every year with a promising rookie so you get the decision.

Arguably by Bears, but stronger argument not.  He had his chances. That is way NFL works.

Boss way to go out though knocking them to #2 in draft.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

For those saying "if they wanted a stopgap, why'd they fire Culley" - I'd imagine Culley was their planned stopgap, they had their preferred candidate lined up so Culley was fired, and then the first choice either chose another job or wanted to stay as coordinator. Then, rather than hiring a second tier candidate, they went with another stopgap so they could get "their guy" in the next hiring cycle.

This is it (sorta) for the most part - hiring Josh McCown over Brian Flores would basically gift wrap the Flores discrimination case against the NFL to Flores’ front door, so I’d surmise there was a few well timed phone calls to the Texans about how to proceed. Hiring the retired backup QB with zero experience over a HC who just went 10-6 wouldn’t really sit well…

Lovie was such a left field hire - the Texans announced three finalists (McCown, Flores, Jonathan Gannon) the Flores suit drops, the weekend comes and goes and suddenly Lovie’s having a press conference announcing him as the HC. It was just a poorly executed dog and pony show, a kangaroo court if I ever saw it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I had thought of Johnson as his OC but Reich would work there.

Zimmer as DC?  Don't you think Gannon will call defense as HC?

I imagine that Johnson takes over for Shane Steichen after Steichen gets a head coaching gig this year.

Johnson is a long time family friend of Jalen Hurts so I imagine his preference would be Eagles OC.

Lovie didn’t have any problem losing embarrassingly and playing for ties early in the year, so I don’t want to hear any noise about not telling players to not play to win

I’m only upset that we didn’t fire Rex Burkhead at the exact same time too

Edited by tab
  • Like 1