Texans fire HC Lovie Smith

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

a veteran coach with tons of knowledge that can establish a solid foundation for a young QB? I totally would want Lovie in that situation. 

No, just no.

Ever since Chicago started 7-1 in 2012, Lovie has been 17-42-1 as an NFL coach. He now has a losing overall record as a head coach.

The game passed by Lovie a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago and I'm not sure why Houston hired him in the first place. 

55 minutes ago, biggie. said:

No, just no.

Ever since Chicago started 7-1 in 2012, Lovie has been 17-42-1 as an NFL coach. He now has a losing overall record as a head coach.

The game passed by Lovie a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago and I'm not sure why Houston hired him in the first place. 

I would've understood it more if Lovie was hired in some sort of senior advisor role. He's a solid culture guy and can definitely get a struggling situation back on track. But he's long been a relic when it comes to X's and O's. 

Not a bad guy to have in the building, not the guy you need on the sidelines. 

Easier than re-typing…

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not like people were beating down his (Lovie‘s) door to begin with - his hiring as a DC two years ago was even met with a "really? Ok... I guess..." response. This effectively ends Lovie's football career - which was REALLY over two years ago, when Illinois fired him. 

I have always theorized Lovie himself was in on this eventuality - last year, David Culley was a one-and-done and that netted him a $3mm base salary and a $20mm contract buyout. In essence, David Culley made more money than both Bill Belicheck and Pete Carroll did for coaching during the 2021 season, not bad for somebody who shouldn’t have landed the job to begin with. Now, Lovie can join that list following whatever his buyout will be. If he wasn't retired before 2021, he can now with a nice little windfall.

The quick response to hiring Lovie (after announcing finalists in Brian Flores, Jonathan Gannon and Josh McCown) tells me that Lovie was basically a “break in case of emergency” hire. The league didn’t want the Texans to move forward with Josh McCown in the face of the Brian Flores lawsuit, so they brought in Lovie, knowing that this coaching cycle would be where the actual guy was brought in. Now, the guy who dreamed up bringing in McCown is no longer in the building, so that’s no longer an issue (hopefully). 

With everything going on over the last two seasons in Houston - the lack of cap space and draft capital, the Deshaun Watson situation - no serious HC candidate was looking at Houston. Now that both of those things are no longer an issue… why wouldn’t the Texans job look pretty favorable? It’s probably not the MOST coveted jobs (both LA teams might be better suited) but there’s a lot to like if you’re a HC who wants to build their own team with little tear down required.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I’m game for this. I’m not tired of the Texans, I’m tired of the McNair family.

In fairness, you have a ways to go to match what we got from the Brown family with Mike in charge and Katie not in the picture yet.  But yeah, I wouldn't wish that on anyone outside of our division fanbases though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

In fairness, you have a ways to go to match what we got from the Brown family with Mike in charge and Katie not in the picture yet.  But yeah, I wouldn't wish that on anyone outside of our division fanbases though.

The Texans weren’t this bad until Bob McNair died and Cal took over. Bob was a pretty crappy human with some outdated views, but at least he knew enough to run a semi-competent football franchise: trust football people to make football decisions, let business people make business decisions and sign the checks.

At this point, I’m pretty sure Cal signs the checks in crayon. The word is that people inside the Texans organization called Cal “Tommy Boy” became he was so similar to Tommy Callahan from the movie.

Cal has yet to disprove that belief; In fact, calling Cal “Tommy Boy” is an insult to Tommy Callahan.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Smith will have another job in no time.  He is a decent coach.

Back in 2006 (with a HoF MLB, an All Pro OLB, three Pro Bowl DL, two Pro Bowl DBs… and the greatest KR in NFL history) he was a decent coach. I mean… I could probably be a decent coach with that setup, tbh.

Lovie is trying to run Cover 2 concepts against modern spread concepts - which is akin to riding a tandem bicycle on the Autobahn against a Porsche 911. The game has passed him by for over a decade. Tampa found that out, University of Illinois found that out, and now the Texans found that out.

• Like 2