2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

49 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am definitely more open to Stroud or Richardson at 6 than I was at the end of the season.  I dont want to move up though. 

I am super nervous about Richardson and think he may bust but if they do the mental analysis on him and think he is the right guy, his tools make it an ok pick given our situation.  Risky but we have the resources to be a little risky IMO with the extra pick. 

Stroud I agree is a year 1 player, but also we don't need to rush it.  We can keep Goff one more year and make sure Stroud is the one and not forced to play.  If we have a great year with Goff we can move him next offseason if Stroud is ready.  If not then we can keep him his final year.  That would lean towards Stroud being a bust and if thats the case, it sucks but at least we still have another first this year and aren't awful because of our QB.  

Young still makes me nervous with his height.  Levis makes me nervous with his poor play.  I really like Levis last year in the mid rounds before he decided to come back but his senior year didn't make me want him more.  So I would stay away from these guys.  

I've heard conflicting things on Anthony Richardson from interviews. Some people (Patt McAfee) have said they've been told he's the best interviewer at the combine; others (I believe Dane Brugler) have said that he's been so so and there are significant things he's been missing/hasn't been exposed to in his limited time. 

If he checks the boxes in the interviews and everything on top of the athleticism then I can see why [Anthony Richardson] could be worth taking the risk on. I can see the upside/potential. It's not the move that I would make but I'm making it with limited information and without a job on the line. Stroud feels like a younger version of Goff, which is not a knock. Even if he is, you can't buy experience and that's something he'd have to learn/develop. So we would absolutely be stepping backwards if not be neutral at best. I still think that you peg Stroud as a day 1 starter. AR you're sitting on the bench for the next 1 - 2 years. I'm not Jordan Love-ing anyone where they're a 1st round pick and sitting as the back up for 3 or 4 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I've heard conflicting things on Anthony Richardson from interviews. Some people (Patt McAfee) have said they've been told he's the best interviewer at the combine; others (I believe Dane Brugler) have said that he's been so so and there are significant things he's been missing/hasn't been exposed to in his limited time. 

If he checks the boxes in the interviews and everything on top of the athleticism then I can see why [Anthony Richardson] could be worth taking the risk on. I can see the upside/potential. It's not the move that I would make but I'm making it with limited information and without a job on the line. Stroud feels like a younger version of Goff, which is not a knock. Even if he is, you can't buy experience and that's something he'd have to learn/develop. So we would absolutely be stepping backwards if not be neutral at best. I still think that you peg Stroud as a day 1 starter. AR you're sitting on the bench for the next 1 - 2 years. I'm not Jordan Love-ing anyone where they're a 1st round pick and sitting as the back up for 3 or 4 years. 

Stroud has a stronger arm than Goff, which will play better in the cold which was Goff's biggest issue last year IMO.  Stroud also has better accuracy IMO, especially on deep balls.  Thats why I am ok drafting him at 6.  If I thought Stroud was a lateral move, I wouldn't be for it at all tbh and would rather build the D. 

Richardson is pure speculation at this point.  He could end up being what Fields was last year at his best.  He could be Mike Vick or better with the strong arm and speed.  He could be so bad at QB that he moves to WR/TE with some wildcat type snaps like Taysom Hill.  I don't intend to make him a Jordan Love but if he doesn't push his way onto the field, it may happen and be a worst case scenario.  So it all depends on what they are hearing from him.  The one positive here, is there were plenty of Lions scouts around Florida's campus this year so they should have a good idea on how he works day to day and have a better read than some others on him, even if they say they weren't there to see him.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Stroud has a stronger arm than Goff, which will play better in the cold which was Goff's biggest issue last year IMO.  Stroud also has better accuracy IMO, especially on deep balls.  Thats why I am ok drafting him at 6.  If I thought Stroud was a lateral move, I wouldn't be for it at all tbh and would rather build the D. 

Richardson is pure speculation at this point.  He could end up being what Fields was last year at his best.  He could be Mike Vick or better with the strong arm and speed.  He could be so bad at QB that he moves to WR/TE with some wildcat type snaps like Taysom Hill.  I don't intend to make him a Jordan Love but if he doesn't push his way onto the field, it may happen and be a worst case scenario.  So it all depends on what they are hearing from him.  The one positive here, is there were plenty of Lions scouts around Florida's campus this year so they should have a good idea on how he works day to day and have a better read than some others on him, even if they say they weren't there to see him.  

Agreed on all points.

Brugler or Zierlein on The Athletic's latest podcast (covering DB's 3.0 mock) said that Stroud was matching AR for deep ball target distance while at the combine. That's pretty impressive and I do think it's one of those things where you might not make that connection due to a certain narrative about a player. Stroud is being touted for his accuracy but not really about having a strong arm. 

Detroit Lions tender contract to special teams standout, LB Anthony Pittman

The Detroit Lions tendered a contract to exclusive rights free agent Anthony Pittman on Wednesday, ensuring one of their best special teams players will be on the roster in 2023.

Pittman played in all 17 games for the Lions last season, made five tackles and finished second on the team in special teams snaps.

• Like 1

Just now, LionArkie said:

I was thinking about what I'd give for him and I was thinking probably nothing past a 5th. And that is just because of his age and him being a free agent next year.

Eh, I think a day 3 pick is an insult TBH. With having an extra 2nd, I'm okay moving our 3rd. 

Devon Witherspoon isn't participating in the Illinois Pro Day.  This seems a little concerning.  He said that he had  "minor" hamstring injury at the combine.  His personal workout is going to be super important for him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/cornerback-devon-witherspoon-not-participating-in-illinois-pro-day-today/

Edited by Just Want A Title

On 3/8/2023 at 4:47 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Even if you thought that Stroud was a completely lateral move and that he and Goff would be exactly the same player, Stroud would be much more valuable due to being younger and being on a rookie deal. 

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Devon Witherspoon isn't participating in the Illinois Pro Day.  This seem a little concerning.  He said that he had  "minor" hamstring injury at the combine.  His personal workout is going to be super important for him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/cornerback-devon-witherspoon-not-participating-in-illinois-pro-day-today/

He's injured and his tape is gold. He'll be fine. 

• Like 1