2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

41 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Sorry if this has been discussed at nauseum in this thread, but let's negotiate on Ramsey. He's on the block. Brad Holmes traded for him once and he's still an elite corner (28 years old).

Realistically, what would Lions fans be comfortable with trading for him?

I would want #6 overall, but I assume the DET Fanbase thinks that's too lofty. So what's fair on your side?

I am pretty sure Les Snead was and is the GM of the Rams.  He made that trade and infamously derided the value of draft picks a while back.  Brad Holmes is a build-through-the-draft GM.    I don't see Brad Holmes being willing to give up a ton of draft capital if he thinks he can draft a player close to Jalen Ramsey's level.  He has the opportunity to do that this year without giving up anything.

10 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am pretty sure Les Snead was and is the GM of the Rams.  He made that trade and infamously derided the value of draft picks a while back.  Brad Holmes is a build-through-the-draft GM.    I don't see Brad Holmes being willing to give up a ton of draft capital if he thinks he can draft a player close to Jalen Ramsey's level.  He has the opportunity to do that this year without giving up anything.

IIRC Holmes was the Rams Director of College Scouting. Probably didn't have the biggest voice on trades for vets. 

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Makes sense. From the Rams fan base, we don't want to move him at all. A 1RP would make it more digestible, but if it goes for the compensation you referenced I think there will be pitchforks and torches on our side lol

Is he a player that puts you over the edge and can guarantee a playoff run? With Rodgers out of the division, I'd say yes.

But if Holmes still views this as more long term, then I'd agree with your assessment and not want to part with the 1RP.

He definitely would help put us in a position to be in the playoff picture, with or without Rodgers in the division.  He is an elite CB still and we would love to have him.  And I get why you guys wouldn't want to move him but given your cap situation, there are not a lot of other moves to get under the cap without just pushing it all into future years.  I think the Rams would be dumb to move him unless they are blowing it all up so understand why the fans feel that way.  I wouldnt hate giving 18 for him, but not sure its best for our team long term. 

39 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

27 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

IIRC Holmes was the Rams Director of College Scouting. Probably didn't have the biggest voice on trades for vets. 

Yes to both above, but he ultimately learned the role of GM from Les Snead and you don't make these type of moves with out everyone involved in the discussion. Eventually you push your chips in and make a play. Not saying the Lions should/are doing that this year, but it has to be considered given the jump you made last year and how much talent is still on rookie contracts. Not sure I see anyone on Ramsey's level talent wise in the draft this year at CB, but it's all subjective.

I do think the NFC is the weakest it's ever been and if the Lions were to push it all in, now is the time to do it. I also tend to believe Goff can get it done if he has the right pieces. He does on offense, now he needs a defense that requires him to only score 21-24 points.

21 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He definitely would help put us in a position to be in the playoff picture, with or without Rodgers in the division.  He is an elite CB still and we would love to have him.  And I get why you guys wouldn't want to move him but given your cap situation, there are not a lot of other moves to get under the cap without just pushing it all into future years.  I think the Rams would be dumb to move him unless they are blowing it all up so understand why the fans feel that way.  I wouldnt hate giving 18 for him, but not sure its best for our team long term. 

18 would likely be where I'd OK settling on. I still think he's a top 10 defensive player in the league and alot of his deficiencies last season can be attributed to poor pass rush and miscommunication in the backend with Rapp/Scott. etc 

I would not trade a top 10 defensive player in the league under 30 for less than a first. But what do I know. 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:57 AM, Nnivolcm said:

The Qintricia Era was full of big money being thrown around poorly. IIRC they made Flowers the highest paid defensive player at the time the contract was signed. There were plenty of posters on this forum who seemed to view Flowers as a savior at the time of the signing. 

Justin Coleman got to much money as well

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It seems like a "splash signing" might not be in the cards but a mid-tier signing seems to be on the table.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/3/2/23621781/dan-campbell-squashes-detroit-lions-free-agency-splash-hopes

Makes sense.  We have been smart in the past and seem to focus on short term deals for guys that either we see potential in like Buggs and Cominsky or guys who were coming off injury or down years and needed a prove it deal like Chark and Elliot. I would expect the same thing this year but also wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David wanted to come here on a  reasonable short term deal.  Those guys are both older and more short term pieces than splash signing IMO.  I hope we don't do like Jacksonville last year and blow money just because we have it since keeping flexibility in the future is key to staying relevant. 

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Makes sense.  We have been smart in the past and seem to focus on short term deals for guys that either we see potential in like Buggs and Cominsky or guys who were coming off injury or down years and needed a prove it deal like Chark and Elliot. I would expect the same thing this year but also wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David wanted to come here on a  reasonable short term deal.  Those guys are both older and more short term pieces than splash signing IMO.  I hope we don't do like Jacksonville last year and blow money just because we have it since keeping flexibility in the future is key to staying relevant. 

CB Byron Murphy Jr seems like a player that might fit their view on things.  He went down with a back injury last year.  He can play in the slot and outside.  If we decide to pull the plug on Jeff Okudah, he would give us a lot of flexibility while being a relatively "known quantity".

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It seems like a "splash signing" might not be in the cards but a mid-tier signing seems to be on the table.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/3/2/23621781/dan-campbell-squashes-detroit-lions-free-agency-splash-hopes

I watched the interview, Dan Campbell said they will be more selective with who they sign not that they won't spend money. 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I watched the interview, Dan Campbell said they will be more selective with who they sign not that they won't spend money. 

There is what he says and what he is smart enough not to say.  If gave a "hard no" on high-end free agents that would limit their options even on short-term deals.  I suspect even mid-tier free agents would be put off by something like that.  

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

There is what he says and what he is smart enough not to say.  If gave a "hard no" on high-end free agents that would limit their options even on short-term deals.  I suspect even mid-tier free agents would be put off by something like that.  

If that's what you read into it. 

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Holmes acknowledging he needs to do better with backup qb. I wonder if Mariotta would work since he's been recently be cut? He's not a developmental type, but him with a late round prospect might be a nice option.
https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/01/lions-brad-holmes-combine-interview-finding-backup-qb-behind-jared-goff/

Mike White might be a pretty good option also.

• Like 1