Split the check?

biggio7

When you go out with a group to eat, how do you split the check? Do you divide the total with the amount of people or does everyone pay for what they get?

I went out with some friends (group of 9) to a restaurant on Saturday. I got a burger ($16) and a ginger-ale ($4). Bill came and someone said 'Everyone owes $54, that includes the tip.' All others were all cool with it. I thought that was a bit odd. They ordered four appetizers for the table. I didn't eat any. Some people got dessert and coffee but not everyone.

I just thought it was odd but maybe it's me. I guess if everyone eats evenly then the check should be split like that. But, just didn't seem to fit. What do you all think?

• Like 1

I don’t think I’ve ever been in a situation where I owe less than the group owes on a meal (I like to drink and order steak - in that order). 

Usually, if someone else has a smallish amount in comparison to the rest of the group, somebody will buy their stuff as a courtesy - I know I’ve added a friend who didn’t drink (or ONLY had two beers or something) on my tab and they got me back at a later time, so it’s a wash overall.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever been in a situation where I owe less than the group owes on a meal (I like to drink and order steak - in that order). 

Usually, if someone else has a smallish amount in comparison to the rest of the group, somebody will buy their stuff as a courtesy - I know I’ve added a friend who didn’t drink (or ONLY had two beers or something) on my tab and they got me back at a later time, so it’s a wash overall.

This is the correct attitude. Friends are special, $20 is $20. Don't be penny wise, pound foolish.

I'm the other direction these days, always bringing the group average down, and I'm happy to split checks even if I come out behind, or outright buy a round, or to discreetly compensate for ****ty tippers in the group.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’d never do a group split, ever. Everything should be itemized, except maybe the tip. 

Oh and for the record, I need some clarification about what should and shouldn’t be tipped in today’s age. Am I supposed to be tipping the dude at the drive through now? Do you tip carry out? The tip culture is weird.

At a sit down restaurant, I basically always do 25%, maybe 20% if they weren’t great at service. I think one time I had a horrible server and tipped them 17%.

I find this thread a bit interesting as whenever I go out with friends it’s either one person paying for the entirety or it’s completely separate 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Oh and for the record, I need some clarification about what should and shouldn’t be tipped in today’s age. Am I supposed to be tipping the dude at the drive through now? Do you tip carry out? The tip culture is weird.

At a sit down restaurant, I basically always do 25%, maybe 20% if they weren’t great at service. I think one time I had a horrible server and tipped them 17%.

I know I’m in the minority but I tip flat amounts vs percentage. Just because I ordered a steak or brunch it doesn’t really change how well the people did. I do not tip for drive through or pick up unless I inconvenienced them in some way (close to closing) or I can tell they need a pick me up 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Years ago, a group of 10 or so of us went out and had the worst service ever.   I understand waiting on a large group isnt easy and would have likely overlooked it, but the restaurant was dead aside from us, the table was sticky and dirty when we got there and when we let then know, they got an attitude.    Got several drinks wrong, appetizers were terrible, several entrees either wrong, undercooked or overcooked.   I got a steak and it was well done.    When I told the waiter, he said I asked for it well done and I said I would never and have never order a steak well done, and he just walked away and brought me a steak that was barely cooked.   The two guys waiting on us had horrible attitudes and kept us waiting forever after we finished.   Took them half an hour to bring the checks.    

We all left $1 for a tip, except for my friend and his girl who left $20.

I felt a little bad at first, but looking back, I wouldnt have even left that.    You tip for quality of service.   There was nothing quality about that.

6 or so months ago I went out to eat and this young girl, who was extremely overworked but was giving us top notch service and friendliness served me and my buddy.   On a $75 bill, we left over $100 for her tip.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 43M said:

overcooked.   I got a steak and it was well done.    When I told the waiter, he said I asked for it well done and I said I would never and have never order a steak well done, and he just walked away and brought me a steak that was barely cooked.   The two guys waiting on us had horrible attitudes and kept us waiting forever after we finished.   Took them half an hour to bring the checks.    

Yeah that’s really bad and I don’t blame you there. You had me at “well done steak” to be honest.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I don't tip drive through or carry out. I could see an argument for carry out, especially if those staff are paid sub minimum wage with tipping loopholes, so if I'm supposed to and someone wants to yell at me feel free.

I don't see the same argument for fast food workers, the Chipolte down the street is hiring at like $16/hour, so there's no gap there that I should be making up. That's predatory corporate bull**** to me just like the "donate to charity at checkout" routine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't tip drive through or carry out. I could see an argument for carry out, especially if those staff are paid sub minimum wage with tipping loopholes, so if I'm supposed to and someone wants to yell at me feel free.

I don't see the same argument for fast food workers, the Chipolte down the street is hiring at like $16/hour, so there's no gap there that I should be making up. That's predatory corporate bull**** to me just like the "donate to charity at checkout" routine.

The only time I ever do carryout is with a small business. The Mexican place by me is an example. The owner does a lot in the community and his/his wife’s kids are friends and classmates with mine. Aside from that, I don’t do carryout. I’m driving to pick up my food, so…I don’t get it. JMHO

I only tip on seated service or delivery - drive through or carryout is no tip, only exception is a place where I see them make the food in from of me (like Freebirds or Gyro Hut). I also tip a few bucks at any super localized places in carryout scenarios, like the pho shops in my neighborhood or the donut shop that my kids love - places where the owners and workers recognize me and treat me nicely (might not know my name or my order, but always greet me and give me a drink while I wait for the food to be ready). 

I’m a very simple creature - if you feed me good food, I will like you and wish you good fortunes in the wars to come (or something like that).

• Like 3

Group split is a wild concept I have never run in to. Every time we go out to eat, we just ask for separate checks.. pretty simple concept. If we do apps we'll just pay for it or each couple will order one

Tips usually go on the credit card, 20% for good service is what I always do. If it's carry out, I never tip. 

• Like 1

Fat chance Im splitting a check evenly, you pay for what you get. I don't care if the waiter/waitress has to spend the next 10 minutes splitting the bill, Im not paying for someones steak when I got a burger. Sometimes ill pickup the whole tab if I'm just out with one other person and tell them to leave a good tip, but thats not happening with a group.