Demeco Ryans to Texans (6 years)

Manny/Patrick

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Slowik as OC,  Kris Kocurek as DC and I'll be a happy camper.  IDC who Demeco fills the staff with after that.  LOL

I’d rather get Marquand Manual - if he was able to mold Sauce into an All Pro, he could turn Stingley into a formidable presence.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’d rather get Marquand Manual - if he was able to mold Sauce into an All Pro, he could turn Stingley into a formidable presence.

Sauce was a all pro the moment he stepped on a NFL field. Not sure how much coaching that is. However, the rest of the secondary certainly vouches for his skills.

• Like 1

Great hire and actually a great situation for him to come into and rebuild and growth within. Good draft picks. Likely a top QB. I could see HOU making a drastic change in W/L kind of similar to the NYJ with all the draft capital they have assuming they draft well.

Edited by RUGmen

Always liked Ryans has a player, and seems fitting he goes back to the Texans.    He has alot of work ahead of him, though.   Fortunately, he has the resources to make some things happen.

That 2nd overall pick could define his tenure there.   No pressure, tho.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I can’t really speak on his tenure in San Francisco as a tactician, but the big takeaway from those who know DeMeco here (former Texans Seth Payne, Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Brian Cushing, JJ Watt) is that Ryans has this “leader of men” quality that has been on display since his rookie year in 2006. 

Given the fractures in Houston since the Bill O’Brien era, this is a healing salve on an open wound from that KC divisional loss - DeMeco brings credibility, even if he delegates the lifting to his DCs.

Also, as I kind of referenced earlier he's just fresh off spending a few years with a modern winning culture, with a building full of people that knew how to acquire talent and build a contender. That's something someone like Culley didn't have experience with or Lovie just wasn't able to cultivate in quite some time. Ryans will get some of those type of people in the building. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I like this a lot for the Texans. No better higher this cycle for that team desperately needed some young blood rejuvenation. And the fact that he's a former Texans player is the icing on the cake.

Having said all that, (and I don't mean to be a debbie downer, I legit just want to ask) how much of the 49ers success defensively have come from pouring resources into that unit versus Demeco's scheme and play calling? I ask because between former FRPs Armstead, Bosa, and Kinlaw, and all-pro Warner, that's a ton of talent. It's kind of hard to screw things up when you have the best pass rush in the NFL and the best off-ball LB at your disposal. Then you could also consider Demeco's predecessor Robert Saleh finding equal (?) success with a similar roster. What say you? @Forge @N4L and I guess @ET80.

So being old enough and actually remember what was said about Ryan coming out. He slipped out of the first because there were a lot of questions about his physical skill set. They didn’t question his intelligence or his leadership it was his speed and strength. Dude had a long successful NFL career as a player because he understood the defense and made the adjustments for the Texans defense. I have full confidence in his coaching ability because he’s displayed all those traits over the years. This is as close to a slam dunk as there can be when you hire a first time coach.

Yes, there is risk but Demeco has all the qualities you look for. To answer the question bluntly though, no the Texans defense is not going to immediately become as good as the 49ers. That was a team with a ton of blue chip players and the Texans will have to grow up. They are almost an expansion team for the second time with the way they have accumulated capital but lack established stars. It’s going to be tough to find an offensive coordinator to pair with him but if they can score someone to pair with Ryan the Texans could win that division very soon. 

• Like 2