Raiders to release QB Derek Carr

RaidersAreOne

21 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We've won an average of 7 games per year while Carr was the starter with 2 winning seasons over that 9 year span. Carr is above average but I'm not sure it's going to be extremely difficult to find another QB in the 15-20 range.

Let's be honest. Is Carr a Mahomes/Rodgers/Brees that can overcome and still win games in the NFL with horrible defenses, absolutely not. 

Maybe the Raiders should of understood Carr isn't a future HOF'r in the making and built up a defense hell an Average Defense to help support Carr and those win totals would of been more.

Very few QB could overcome the Raider Defenses the past decade. Non IMO even the 3 listed above, actually winning a SB with those units.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Let's be honest. Is Carr a Mahomes/Rodgers/Brees that can overcome and still win games in the NFL with horrible defenses, absolutely not. 

Maybe the Raiders should of understood Carr isn't a future HOF'r in the making and built up a defense hell an Average Defense to help support Carr and those win totals would of been more.

Very few QB could overcome the Raider Defenses the past decade. Non IMO even the 3 listed above, actually winning a SB with those units.  

Carr's never had a defense ranked better than 20 in his time with the Raiders. They were ranked 20th in 2016 and were 11-4 when he broke his ankle. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Greene N White said:

I personally have him at 12. Would understand someone having a couple guys I have below him above him but I really don't think there's a case for having him any lower than 16.

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Rodgers, Herbert, Lamar, Hurts, Dak, Lawrence, Kyler, Stafford (If healthy) are the guys I have above him.

I'm personally taking him over Cousins, Goff, and Tua. I could see why maybe someone would have them higher. Watson is a question mark at this point but he's probably better than Carr but we'll see. I don't think there's really anyone else you could have above him at this point.

Like I said I don't think he's a hall of famer but you can definitely win games with a top 12-15 QB in this league and with the right team around him you can contend. The Raiders just completely failed to do that over the past 8 years.

The raiders fans must've forgot what it was like to have awful QB play. I, as a jets fan, have not.

Watson and Cousins are definitely both ahead of him and hes right there next to Goff/Tua which would put him in the 14-16 range of QBs on his average year.

Would you really be that excited if your team landed at best the 14th best QB in the league who also has a floor of 20th best? Just seems like its asking for your team to be in QB purgatory, much like the Raiders have been the past 6 years which is why they got rid of him. They realized they cant win with the, on average, the 15th best QB in the NFL. Is any team really expecting him to get better at 32 years old?

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Watson and Cousins are definitely both ahead of him and hes right there next to Goff/Tua which would put him in the 14-16 range of QBs on his average year.

Would you really be that excited if your team landed at best the 14th best QB in the league who also has a floor of 20th best? Just seems like its asking for your team to be in QB purgatory, much like the Raiders have been the past 6 years which is why they got rid of him. They realized they cant win with the, on average, the 15th best QB in the NFL. Is any team really expecting him to get better at 32 years old?

If you have a good team you can win with that. Let’s take a look at the super bowl winning qbs since 2000.

Trent Dilfer

Tom Brady

Brad Johnson

Big Ben

Peyton

eli 

brees

rodgers

Flacco

Russ

Foles

Mahomes

Stafford

Out of those 13 names I’d say Brady, Ben, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, russ, and mahomes are all emphatically better than him.

He’s pretty much on par Or better than the other 6 so to say you can’t win with him is pretty wild.

All I’m saying is anyone who thinks the raiders were losing because of carr and blaming him is just simply wrong. He’s been one of the only things keeping them afloat this past decade.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Greene N White said:

If you have a good team you can win with that. Let’s take a look at the super bowl winning qbs since 2000.

Trent Dilfer

Tom Brady

Brad Johnson

Big Ben

Peyton

eli 

brees

rodgers

Flacco

Russ

Foles

Mahomes

Stafford

Out of those 13 names I’d say Brady, Ben, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, russ, and mahomes are all emphatically better than him.

He’s pretty much on par Or better than the other 6 so to say you can’t win with him is pretty wild.

All I’m saying is anyone who thinks the raiders were losing because of carr and blaming him is just simply wrong. He’s been one of the only things keeping them afloat this past decade.

McDaniels needed a fall guy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Greene N White said:

The refs are also why we've been losing. That's a common theme amongst Raider fans....... and every NFL team but that's not important lol.

Carr has certainly helped us not be a bottom feeder for the time he was here, and at times he was the problem, but those times weren't nearly as frequent as the defense being the problem. If you don't require him to do too much, and lean on him too hard, he'll be fine but he does tend to play worse in cold weather. That is my concern with NY but, again, we've had to lean on him majority of the time so maybe it's a facade. I personally don't feel that way but it's possible

On 2/21/2023 at 1:52 PM, Greene N White said:

I think the raiders fanbase is in for a rude awakening post Carr and they'll quickly remember how bad it was before he got there. The odds of finding someone better are pretty low imo.

Carr is good because he’s better than the horrible QBs that came before him lol 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Carr is good because he’s better than the horrible QBs that came before him lol 

I mean, in a stable situation with reasonable weapons, he's not bad. Probably a high average with some top tier performances along with a couple of stinkers. But he's rarely been one to press needlessly and singlehandedly lose games- that's where a better than bottom rung D comes in. Probably more good than bad, but a lot of average. A good year could land him in the top 10, his usual will be 12-14, and I just don't see him having anything close to an abysmal season- he hasn't had one yet really, despite the Raiders long-standing dysfunction. 

If anything, this speaks more to the "Anyone But Carr" crowd that wanted him gone so badly they would have traded the house for any mediocre QB and spent the next 4 years wailing about actual bad QB play. Finding a QB is not easy, they just fixate on Brady and Mahomes with zero attention to the fact Bledsoe and Smith were high average QBs the teams built around and had some success before just handing the reins over. 

37 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

If carr was playing in San Fran are they super bowl contenders?

Obviously he’s not going there but that’s my point. Build the right team around him and you certainly have a shot. 

SF is a Super Bowl contender with Jimmy and Purdy. Probably Lance too. Way too low of a bar, imo. 

Carr is more in the mold of the guy you can slot in and REMAIN a contender (Tampa, for example, maybe New England) or add the finishing touches towards becoming one with at least average QB play (New Orleans, NYJ). 

I still think the roster and coaching staff being assembled in Carolina would be the perfect fit for him for a lot of reasons, but it would also require a bit more patience to see the finished product in year 2 or 3. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I mean, in a stable situation with reasonable weapons, he's not bad. Probably a high average with some top tier performances along with a couple of stinkers. But he's rarely been one to press needlessly and singlehandedly lose games- that's where a better than bottom rung D comes in. Probably more good than bad, but a lot of average. A good year could land him in the top 10, his usual will be 12-14, and I just don't see him having anything close to an abysmal season- he hasn't had one yet really, despite the Raiders long-standing dysfunction. 

If anything, this speaks more to the "Anyone But Carr" crowd that wanted him gone so badly they would have traded the house for any mediocre QB and spent the next 4 years wailing about actual bad QB play. Finding a QB is not easy, they just fixate on Brady and Mahomes with zero attention to the fact Bledsoe and Smith were high average QBs the teams built around and had some success before just handing the reins over. 

SF is a Super Bowl contender with Jimmy and Purdy. Probably Lance too. Way too low of a bar, imo. 

Carr is more in the mold of the guy you can slot in and REMAIN a contender (Tampa, for example, maybe New England) or add the finishing touches towards becoming one with at least average QB play (New Orleans, NYJ). 

I still think the roster and coaching staff being assembled in Carolina would be the perfect fit for him for a lot of reasons, but it would also require a bit more patience to see the finished product in year 2 or 3. 

I agree San Fran is setting the bar too low but it was just the point that you CAN win with him. I agree with most of what you said. A lot of people are out here saying he isn't a good enough QB to bring a team to a Super Bowl and I just think that's simply untrue. He's not going to drag a team there but if you have the right pieces around him I think he can definitely get the job done.

• Like 2

The Raiders have had issues on defense for years and yes that need taken into account. But there are some glaring offensive problems as well under Carr. 

Of the 37 QBs with 50+ starts since 2014. Carr’s ranks 30th at 21.6 ppg. 

He is an awful red zone QB, which is why Daniel Carlson is among the top kickers in points scored.

He drops off in the second half of games. For his career, he has a lower passer rating in the second half vs. the first. 4 of his 9 seasons (2 under Gruden), he dropped by 15+ points in the second half. 

That "game winning drive" stat thrown around is a reflection of a guy who can't close out games with a lead.

Up until this past season, he fumbled at a record pace. 36 lost for his career and 99 INTs make him among the league leaders in turnovers. 

You can blame the defense to an extent, but the QB play needed to be better. And Carr had weapons in his career and at one point a top 5 Oline. 

23 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

So as long as you have a good defense, good coaching, good offensive line, good weapons, a top 10 roster and no real pressure on him to have to perform well for the team to win--he will do great 😂

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

So as long as you have a good defense, good coaching, good offensive line, good weapons, a top 10 roster and no real pressure on him to have to perform well for the team to win--he will do great

Let me ask it this way:

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Dak, Burrow, Lawrence-

Name the one with a bad defense, bad coach, bad OL, bad weapons a bottom 10 roster, constant pressure. My guess is you can't name one, much less one with numerous of those boxes checked. Much less one where practically all of those boxes are checked on an annual basis. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Let me ask it this way:

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Dak, Burrow, Lawrence-

Name the one with a bad defense, bad coach, bad OL, bad weapons a bottom 10 roster, constant pressure. My guess is you can't name one, much less one with numerous of those boxes checked. Much less one where practically all of those boxes are checked on an annual basis. 

The difference is those guys you listed are capable of making the guys around them better and the reason you think those guys have perfect teams around them is because of the QB themselves. Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow for example are so good that they are capable of making any average WR look better because of ball placement, consistency, ability to extend plays, ect. WHICH in turn makes defenses respect the pass more and dictate how other teams play and then opens up the run game so random RBs like Isiah Pacheco and Austin Eckler look great by association. 

They are also capable of making their OL look better (well not Burrow apparently) by being able to evade pressure, make the right reads and getting the ball out quick and on-time. 

The top 5-10 QBs in the NFL are ablet to raise the level of play of others around them and make average players look good because they are easy to play wit and the ball is always where it needs to be making everyones jobs a lot easier.

Carr aint that guy. He's Jimmy Garropolo/Jared Goff. He'll make the easy plays that are there, not doing anything spectacular but usually not be terrible enough to kill your team. 

Edited by AkronsWitness