Where does Mahomes rank amongst All Time Great QBs

mdonnelly21

30 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Mahomes rank of all time now?

People are weird. How was this SB win NOT a big deal for Mahomes? He wasn't great in his first one, he was NOT good in his second one and lost it. He was damn good in this game and notched his second SB win. I'm sorry, but that's HUGE.

Ranking him top 10 all time (or at least SB era), is totally fair, and top 5 is arguable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Players that have won two MVPs and two Super Bowls during their career, and how old they were by the time they achieved it:
Joe Montana(34)
Tom Brady(33)
Peyton Manning(39)
Patrick Mahomes(27)

Pretty clearly top 10 at this point, and honestly track to be top 5 by the time he retires even if he never wins another one

Agree I mean many people have Aaron Rodgers in the top 5 and he only has 1 Super Bowl but you won't put a player with 2 Super Bowls and 2 MVP's in the top ten. Really the only thing keeping Mahones from top 5 is longevity. 

I'm not sure I understand why the longevity (or lack thereof) hurts him, in some folks' mind. If he was lacking the hardware and we were still projecting greatness, sure, but he's basically already had the prime of the guys ahead of him (Top 3 All Time Season, 2x MVPs, 2/3 SB rings, reg season stats, playoff stats, etc).

So, what we are saying is "I want to see him play longer and put up some bulk stats to move him up", but again - the hardware piece is already done (esp compared to most above him).  Because even if he just freakin' mentally snapped this offseason and turned into Kirk Cousins (putting up stats but never winning again) or even a Kyler Murray (injuries and no more winning) or even just spiraled out in the next few years with a Russell Wilson-esque decline -> He's still already going to have a really strong case against the other top 3-10 QBs due to peak.

Worst case - if Mahomes retires today, he's Sandy Koufax.
Best case - he makes a legitimate case one day against Brady.

Edited by Soggust

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

I'm not sure I understand why the longevity (or lack thereof) hurts him, in some folks' mind. If he was lacking the hardware and we were still projecting greatness, sure, but he's basically already had the prime of the guys ahead of him (Top 3 All Time Season, 2x MVPs, 2/3 SB rings, reg season stats, playoff stats, etc).

So, what we are saying is "I want to see him play longer and put up some bulk stats to move him up", but again - the hardware piece is already done (esp compared to most above him).  Because even if he just freakin' mentally snapped this offseason and turned into Kirk Cousins (putting up stats but never winning again) or even a Kyler Murray (injuries and no more winning) or even just spiraled out in the next few years with a Russell Wilson-esque decline -> He's still already going to have a really strong case against the other top 3-10 QBs due to peak.

Worst case - if Mahomes retires today, he's Sandy Koufax.
Best case - he makes a legitimate case one day against Brady.

The only possible other alternative is that Reid retires and Mahomes' play slips (still throws for a lot of yards, but more INTs, .500ish record). 

Then Mahomes would be consider very good but maybe a product of Andy Reid, who would be considered the greatest offensive mind of the 21st century. 

• Like 1

I have just outside top 5 with the obvious assumption he’s going to continue to climb up the rankings…..won’t be surprised if he finishes 2….ending ahead of Brady is possible but highly unlikely just due to longevity and 7 effing super bowls. 

14 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

If longevity isn't a factor, then I hope people saying Mahomes is top 5 were considering Brett Favre a top 5 All-Time QB in 1997.

Favre was definitely already top 10 by 1997. I think Mahomes is in a similar position right now, and if he doesn't win any more accolades it would be tough to put him in the top 5