The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Dolphins got a steal for a player of his rep and caliber. 

Assuming last year wasn't a precursor to him falling off a cliff and just a product of being unmotivated becausethey sucked,  you're probably correct. 

Guess we'll see if the Dolphins can stay in the hunt or if that 40M guaranteed sends him into cruise control if they're not.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Assuming last year wasn't a precursor to him falling off a cliff and just a product of being unmotivated becausethey sucked,  you're probably correct. 

Guess we'll see if the Dolphins can stay in the hunt or that 40M guaranteed sends him into cruise control if they're not.

Xavien Howard AND Ramsey? Good luck. Even if Ramsey is 90% what he was, still a nightmare scenario. With Allen and Rodgers in the division, they needed to load up. Basically replacing Byron Jones’ contract who gave you nothing. Just a homerun for Miami IMO. 

50 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Curious if you guys think the dead cap is a problem now that every young player is leaving?

No (and I’m not a Howie guy) - nothing surprising has happened thus far in regards to players leaving. These guys had career years and are chasing their last big payday, they were never coming back. 

12 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

No (and I’m not a Howie guy) - nothing surprising has happened thus far in regards to players leaving. These guys had career years and are chasing their last big payday, they were never coming back. 

You expecting a step back this year? There has been a lot of pie in the sky mentality that everything will work out. I think we are going to be heavy reliant on the draft the next two years. That scares the hell out of me 

Edit: Howie is great at many things. I trust him with building staff probably more than anyone in the league. I trust him in free agency, and I trust him to get contracts done early. Even with my criticisms about the cap, I trust him overall with that. I trust him very little with the draft outside of offensive lineman.  Our cap situation was a go for it all payment for last season. It was magical, but not sustainable. Now we lost starters and depth everywhere. Our offense is going to have to carry this team for awhile.

Edited by Shalodeep
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

You expecting a step back this year? There has been a lot of pie in the sky mentality that everything will work out. I think we are going to be heavy reliant on the draft the next two years. That scares the hell out of me 

Edit: Howie is great at many things. I trust him with building staff probably more than anyone in the league. I trust him in free agency, and I trust him to get contracts done early. Even with my criticisms about the cap, I trust him overall with that. I trust him very little with the draft outside of offensive lineman.  Our cap situation was a go for it all payment for last season. It was magical, but not sustainable. Now we lost starters and depth everywhere. Our offense is going to have to carry this team for awhile.

We’re less than 24 hours into free agency - making a claim either way is pointless right now. There’s a lot left to be done and I’d expect more bad than good in the coming day or two but you have to give it time to see what happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

Curious if you guys think the dead cap is a problem now that every young player is leaving?

A bit of confirmation bias, those are the guys who are gonna get signed day 1 for the most part.

Not a single one do I think “Ah I woulda had them back on that deal.” Appreciate what they did here, wish them conditional luck.

9 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

A bit of confirmation bias, those are the guys who are gonna get signed day 1 for the most part.

Not a single one do I think “Ah I woulda had them back on that deal.” Appreciate what they did here, wish them conditional luck.

I think tjs deal was a great deal for a dude who got 160 tackles, a couple sacks, ten tackles for loss, and I believe a few pass break ups. Others I agree overall. 

58 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

We’re less than 24 hours into free agency - making a claim either way is pointless right now. There’s a lot left to be done and I’d expect more bad than good in the coming day or two but you have to give it time to see what happens. 

Less than 24 hours but no more cap space has been created at this point. I think Howie's focus may come via trade and draft.