The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

9 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Cool with that too but who knows what’s happening behind closed doors. Might be a few guys looking for contracts their current teams aren’t willing to give them. Grab another AJ Brown type with one of our 1sts. If there’s moves to be made, I’m confident Howie is in on them. 

I guess it depends on what the goal moving forward is for the team. Do we go all in on next year? Or do we try to build around the assumption we have the best QB going forward in the conference?

The myth that the one day the cap will catch up to teams borrowing from the future is still floating around? Thought we killed that one a while ago.

The great thing about borrowing from the future is that you can just continue to do it forever.  Especially since the cap just continues to go up every year.

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I guess it depends on what the goal moving forward is for the team. Do we go all in on next year? Or do we try to build around the assumption we have the best QB going forward in the conference?

Conference sucks, go for it (within reason).
Do more stuff March-Labor Day and less Robert Quinn type stuff in season.

I assume what they’ll do is sign Jalen but keep his cap hit lower year one to do so.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The myth that the one day the cap will catch up to teams borrowing from the future is still floating around? Thought we killed that one a while ago.

The great thing about borrowing from the future is that you can just continue to do it forever.  Especially since the cap just continues to go up every year.

Been waiting for the cap to catch up to the eagles for 10 years now.

4 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Besides an upgrade from Quez and covering RG, offense seemingly set. And obvious RB draftee. The defense would need what to be dangerous? A couple quality starters and maybe a defensive stalwart in the middle. DT, MLB, S. That’s really not much to ask for and reasonably within finances. No? He wouldn’t have to push all in to be the top 2-3 NFC team again. But I think he wouldn’t hesitate if a AJ type deal could be had. 

29 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Besides an upgrade from Quez and covering RG, offense seemingly set. And obvious RB draftee. The defense would need what to be dangerous? A couple quality starters and maybe a defensive stalwart in the middle. DT, MLB, S. That’s really not much to ask for and reasonably within finances. No? He wouldn’t have to push all in to be the top 2-3 NFC team again. But I think he wouldn’t hesitate if a AJ type deal could be had. 

I think the defense will be fine if we bring back Hargrave, 1 Safety and 1 linebacker.

Then just add players in the draft.

14 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I think the defense will be fine if we bring back Hargrave, 1 Safety and 1 linebacker.

Then just add players in the draft.

That CB2 spot will be an issue. Still though, we lack someone not on the line that offenses fear. Slay is cool but you can just stay away from him, and he’s older. A playmaking safety or god forbid a LB that can really disrupt would be ideal. I don’t love where the D is but it’s not a worry. I wouldn’t expect them to fall out of the top 12 or so in the league currently constructed. It needs work though. 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

That CB2 spot will be an issue. Still though, we lack someone not on the line that offenses fear. Slay is cool but you can just stay away from him, and he’s older. A playmaking safety or god forbid a LB that can really disrupt would be ideal. I don’t love where the D is but it’s not a worry. I wouldn’t expect them to fall out of the top 12 or so in the league currently constructed. It needs work though. 

I have faith that Nakobe Dean could be a difference maker at linebacker next year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I have faith that Nakobe Dean could be a difference maker at linebacker next year. 

I think the plan is Dean to fill his roll at LB, Jurgens to fill RG, Davis to fill Cox and unless a trade or 1st rd pick is used on a CB, Zech McPhearson given every opportunity to try and fill JB roll as CB2.

Resign CGJ and have him and Blankenship fill Safety.

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think the plan is Dean to fill his roll at LB, Jurgens to fill RG, Davis to fill Cox and unless a trade or 1st rd pick is used on a CB, Zech McPhearson given every opportunity to try and fill JB roll as CB2.

They need to invest at corner I dont trust Zech. Good special teams player but didnt seem to take a step forward to trust as a starting corner.

17 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No chance McPherson is looked at, as a starter on the outside.  Nothing more than slot depth/special teams.  

Edited by 4for4PhillyFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Scheme/DC 1st and foremost. That can either boost or sink whatever Howie does.

A competent CB2 and making sure it’s not just JD & Milton in the interior and they should be fine.

I don’t know, I’m more and more just in an “f it, load up the offense”. Take a RB and WR in the top 100. A CB at #10, unless one of those E/T drop.

33 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Looks like Nakobe and TJ assuming he’s re-signed will be working with a new LBs coach. 

Wish Nick the best of luck, but kinda wish he got hired by someone else. Feel like Gannon needs a more experienced DC who will challenge him more to be different, but yeah. 

Probably for the best if they are shifting schemes. Seemed well liked though.