Tik Tok should be banned

NeptunePenguins

Federal regulation of what data companies can collect and potentially a partnership treaty with the EU, Canada, Mexico and a framework for what data can be held for how long, by who, what types of data can even be collected etc. Would be a nice place to start.

It's not gonna happen because the entire internet is built off of ads and guess what fuels those ads? data tracking. 

Google, Apple, Social media companies have way way way too much power, but you're not gonna fight them that's political suicide so here we are in unregulated data collection hellscape where they keep asking about my cars extended warranty and asking if I wanna subscribe to footballs future's donation box for starving soccer balls.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xmad said:

It's all spread out and the main thing they abide by is COPPA (kids protection aka if you're under 13 when you create an account that data is now illegal) since the government kinda pretends to care about that when it's relevant (see youtube) 

States have done **** all outside of california but even then loooool the best thing we got was the EU forcing companies to delete all of your data or give you a copy of it or face % of revenue esque fines. (Still worth it though because meh what's 5% to 25% profits) still it's nice to see what data they have on you.

Tiktok is not the biggest problem from this and while they may be suspect (Chinese influences) .......let's be honest it doesn't matter who has your data, facebook, instagram, snapchat, tumblr, myspace, yahoos corpse. 

They all sell it and track you across the web. 

Yeah the unspoken consequence of having social media companies not sell advertising is either they'd need subscriptions from users or the industry no longer provides any value.

At it's core, the product just sucks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Honestly myself, I wouldn't ban it myself. Which is why I didn't include my age (mid 20s) in the group for one, though I wanted to hear from people that don't want the app banned, which I am struggling to really find online. 

I have no interest in using Tik Tok and no interest in banning it.

A sensible country would ban anything at frivolous that aids its people, especially children, in being plunged into dopamine addiction and attention span issues, in addition to degeneracy. 

But instead folks will lol at the idea of banning social media platforms such as this while cheering on the censoring of people with opinions the media/government doesn't want broadcast to the greater populous.

Hmm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

A sensible country would ban anything at frivolous that aids its people, especially children, in being plunged into dopamine addiction and attention span issues, in addition to degeneracy. 

But instead folks will lol at the idea of banning social media platforms such as this while cheering on the censoring of people with opinions the media/government doesn't want broadcast to the greater populous.

Hmm.

free freedom GIF

6 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

free freedom GIF

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your usage of the above gif, but allowing mega corporations the power to trick people, especially young people, into addiction doesn't seem like what Willy Dubs was getting at. Again, I may not be understanding your position. 

13 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Honestly myself, I wouldn't ban it myself.

The title is “Tik Tok should be banned” 

maybe you should change it to “Tik Tok should not be banned” and be the change you want to see in the world 

• Like 2