2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

Cautiously optimistic about the new look OL. Russ really struggles with interior pressure so I am excited about the Powers addition. I don't know that cushenberry is a long term answer at center and would like to see some additional investment in the position on draft day. With that being said, I still think he could be an average starter if the offense develops an identity and we are able to have some continuity along the offensive line. Fingers crossed for fewer injuries than last year. 

23 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

You never know if you’re just catching a bit player at the right times but I’ve been impressed with Perine every time I watch the Bengals. Tough downhill runner and an excellent 3rd down skill set. He also hasn’t fumbled since 2017. 

Plus very little tread on his tires.   But has played in big games.   

He cost almost 10M less than MG3 (which if it was today $ would be more like 2/18-20M than 3 years ago)  and he’s miles earlier in his career.  Without the fumble bugaboo.   And actually proven unlike Boone.    This is such a deep FA class it’s why value was there.   

Don’t get me wrong he’s not elite.   But he’s a legit pass threat and decent GL guy.  Ideal 2-minute / 3rd down guy who you won’t miss much when he’s playing on 1st / 2nd.   When he’s on the field you won’t be thinking just pass.   This is such a great roster move.    Just pair him with a draft RBOTF and it’s awesome.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I’ll also plant the flag that this was a far better signing that paying 8-10M AAV for Miles Sanders or similar tier.  ESP in Sanders case given he’s been almost exclusively a 2-down back.    The $ value isn’t there.    It’s crazy how much online beat guys were clamoring for that type of deal.  

Expect to see some Perine highlights this year. I watched nearly every Bangles game this year and Perine was always at least solid but definitely had quite a few breakout plays. When Mixon was injured he came in and IMO played better...so that's perspective. I thought similarly in the playoffs with them alternating downs. Keep in mind, all of this was behind a complete garbage O line for the Bangles which makes it all the more impressive.

• Like 1

As I said in the other thread, I do think that George/Sean hit a home run this first 36 hours or whatever it has been. You can quibble here and there but they addressed the needs we had with proven players in their prime years who come from good teams with winning cultures (Stidam being the exception that proves rule). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Won’t lie the one do-over I’d go with us signing McGary for 3/40M (he signed for 3/34M) over McGlinchey.    Hindsight 20/20.    No other complaints though.  

I was thinking the same here.  Could have saved a few bucks.  PS I love the Perine love from this board.  I wanted the Lions (my second team) to draft Mixon and wouldn't have minded Mixon landing here his draft year.  So I watch the bengals quite a bit and every time I saw Perine it was like "man who is this guy?"  I think he is going to end up being quite a bit more than anyone really expects.  The signs are all there and he will now have his shot!!   Overall I was hoping Payton x2 werent sleeping days prior to FA and were just figuring it all out.  I am kind of happy overall................

It’s clear from the way free agency has gone that George and Sean want a team that can run the ball and play good defense. It’s a tried-and-true method and the one that’s the easiest with which to quickly earn measured success. I don’t think we’re anywhere close to a true Super Bowl contender but getting back to viability is priority No. 1 for the Walmarts and I think we will be that.

With Mac running the Raiders into the ground,  the Chargers about to lose Ekler, and a 4th place schedule, we should have a viable chance at a wild card berth if we get some luck on the injury front. 

The AFC is just so stacked with teams led by Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert and Lawrence. Baltimore is always legit and will be a force if they can retain Lamar and he stays healthy. Miami is going all in. New England still has BB. Pittsburgh still has Tomlin. The Jets have 2 ROYs and just landed a HOF QB with a chip on his shoulder. 

I so wish we played in the NFC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anewdawn said:

I was thinking the same here.  Could have saved a few bucks.  PS I love the Perine love from this board.  I wanted the Lions (my second team) to draft Mixon and wouldn't have minded Mixon landing here his draft year.  So I watch the bengals quite a bit and every time I saw Perine it was like "man who is this guy?"  I think he is going to end up being quite a bit more than anyone really expects.  The signs are all there and he will now have his shot!!   Overall I was hoping Payton x2 werent sleeping days prior to FA and were just figuring it all out.  I am kind of happy overall................

To be fair, McGary's biggest flaw is that he doesn't handle speed rushers well.   Given we play Maxx Crosby, Bosa (Mack is starting to fade a little) & KC's DL, that's a problem.  It's just that McGlinchy isn't even close to a flawless RT pass protector, so we're taking on an older AND more expensive guy...for more guaranteed years.   So yeah, it's not that I'm convinced McGary is a lock to be better than McGlinchy, but those contracts are so massively different, the risk profile makes McGary a far better value signing.

Still, it's the only FA signing I'm lukewarm/down on, I do love to see the emphasis on the trenches, and the willingness to get a value RB instead of throwing away $$ on the most disposable position on non-elite guys.      I absolutely can get behind the direction being taken - trenches as a focus, changing the identity, and not overspending at RB, the most disposable position (but I would want a draft pick on a future guy, that's the ideal leverage).

The next big Q - does a WR get moved?   Paton would be nuts to trade Jeudy, he's a perfect X in Payton's O.   Even if Sutton gets less in return, it's a far better fit - while it "only" saves just under 7M this year, it's more than 2024-5 allocating big $ to Jeudy and Sutton is a total waste on a Payton O.   

Now, the reports are Paton wants a 1st PLUS for Jeudy....which likely translates to "not going anywhere".   Which is a good thing if we want Russ & the pass O to get fixed.    A Payton O with an X who can get open and run precision routes, and be a YAC monster threat, fits like a glove.     As much as dealing Sutton would leave us thin depth-wise, long-term the resource allocation makes sense - and even "just" 7M gained will get you one more impact FA, if not 2 mid-level for Year 1 of FA deals.    Probably the next big move to look for.