2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

On 3/14/2023 at 5:08 AM, 1234567 said:

Eh, I tend to agree with you on that most of the time; I didn’t really mean that post as a complaint. They’re ok players. I’m mostly just making an observation on how expensive offensive linemen in general are becoming in this league. 

I think Powers is a bit concerning. I've seen his weight advertised at 340. I have serious concerns about any IOL that size not named Quentin Nelson. Also his play really improved last year with the addition of Tyler lind....... at Center and a healthy Stanley back at LT. Big surprise. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

How did you guys have the cap space to sign Powers, Allen, McGlinchey?

Existing space + rollover + cutting Glasgow, Darby and Edmunds = €33m in cap space

Still have $10m and if Paton manages to move Sutton that will be another $14m

Different story next year - Wilson's cap hit goes from $22m to $35m - if he is still on the team. Otherwise he is $85m in dead cap (unless someone gives us a pick or two for him).

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Existing space + rollover + cutting Glasgow, Darby and Edmunds = €33m in cap space

Still have $10m and if Paton manages to move Sutton that will be another $14m

Different story next year - Wilson's cap hit goes from $22m to $35m - if he is still on the team. Otherwise he is $85m in dead cap (unless someone gives us a pick or two for him).

I keep seeing QBs like Dak converting their guarantees to bonuses to help increase cap space.  Isn't this a possibility.  I am not one to know much about cap space, but the rules seem like they can be manipulated.  

On 3/14/2023 at 8:33 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

As I said in the other thread, I do think that George/Sean hit a home run this first 36 hours or whatever it has been. You can quibble here and there but they addressed the needs we had with proven players in their prime years who come from good teams with winning cultures (Stidam being the exception that proves rule). 

I've forgot quite a bit about how often Payton would run in his offense. When the Saints had Mccallister and Bush they ran quite a bit 

Denver has addressed major needs along OL/DL/special teams. They added an underrated RB that is an extremely good fit for the offense. Added a very good blocking TE.

I am overall quite pleased with how this FA period has gone. I'd like to see another DL signing with DeShawn leaving. I'd love CJGJ but I think that's wishful thinking. Center also needs to be addressed and that's probably going to come via draft.

As far as WR goes, I don't think anything should be off the table. I think Broncos fans are clinging to the idea of "what could be" with our WR corps instead of "what has been" and not thinking clearly. The only one I wouldn't trade is Tim Patrick, and that's largely because he's coming off injury. I also think when healthy he's the most reliable WR we have.

Sutton is a nice player, but he's not a world beater. If you can get a 3rd, I'd probably move on. Jeudy is a tougher case. He's been injured a lot. When he's healthy you can see just how good he is. But if a team gave us a first, hell, even an early 2nd? I'd be inclined to take it and run. Less than that, you keep these guys and run it back, maybe trade one next year or move on if it doesn't work. Denver clearly wants to get more picks though - I think the writing is on the wall that someone is moving. Maybe the Pats don't make sense anymore, but Baltimore, NYG, Chicago (potentially) could be landing spots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Denver has addressed major needs along OL/DL/special teams. They added an underrated RB that is an extremely good fit for the offense. Added a very good blocking TE.

I am overall quite pleased with how this FA period has gone. I'd like to see another DL signing with DeShawn leaving. I'd love CJGJ but I think that's wishful thinking. Center also needs to be addressed and that's probably going to come via draft.

As far as WR goes, I don't think anything should be off the table. I think Broncos fans are clinging to the idea of "what could be" with our WR corps instead of "what has been" and not thinking clearly. The only one I wouldn't trade is Tim Patrick, and that's largely because he's coming off injury. I also think when healthy he's the most reliable WR we have.

Sutton is a nice player, but he's not a world beater. If you can get a 3rd, I'd probably move on. Jeudy is a tougher case. He's been injured a lot. When he's healthy you can see just how good he is. But if a team gave us a first, hell, even an early 2nd? I'd be inclined to take it and run. Less than that, you keep these guys and run it back, maybe trade one next year or move on if it doesn't work. Denver clearly wants to get more picks though - I think the writing is on the wall that someone is moving. Maybe the Pats don't make sense anymore, but Baltimore, NYG, Chicago (potentially) could be landing spots.

I’d move Sutton before Jeudy. I just think JJ is going to eat in Sean’s offense. 

14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think Powers is a bit concerning. I've seen his weight advertised at 340. I have serious concerns about any IOL that size not named Quentin Nelson. Also his play really improved last year with the addition of Tyler lind....... at Center and a healthy Stanley back at LT. Big surprise. 

Sean Payton had a lot of success with 340+ pound Carl Nicks. 

20 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Sean Payton had a lot of success with 340+ pound Carl Nicks. 

There are always exceptions. Usually quite rare. Nicks career ended with a toe injury in his 5th year. He was always huge.

This kid has one year as a starter between two excellent ballplayers and has gained about 40lbs since entering the league. If IOL guys above 320 don't fire up a red flag then you're not paying attention. 

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

There are always exceptions. Usually quite rare. Nicks career ended with a toe injury in his 5th year. He was always huge.

This kid has one year as a starter between two excellent ballplayers and has gained about 40lbs since entering the league. If IOL guys above 320 don't fire up a red flag then you're not paying attention. 

There is always going to be at least one red flag with a player a team allows to hit the market after their rookie deal, there are no perfect players that hit FA in their mid 20s. But I trust Sean Payton’s judgment with offensive linemen. He has a great track record. And every metric you look at points to Powers being one of the best guards in football last year. Looks like a pretty good signing to me. 

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I'd just like to see Jeudy play 17 games 

Same can be said about Sutton. 

I don’t have anything against Sutton. He’s a great dude, great teammate, by all accounts. But Jeudy’s skill set in Sean’s offense, especially with Tim Patrick returning, make Sutton expendable at the right price

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Same can be said about Sutton. 

I don’t have anything against Sutton. He’s a great dude, great teammate, by all accounts. But Jeudy’s skill set in Sean’s offense, especially with Tim Patrick returning, make Sutton expendable at the right price

I'm a big time Jeudy skeptic, but he won me over last season. Obviously a unique WR and not a guy that is gonna be dominant, but he was quite easily the best offensive player on the team.

Sutton may have just needed another offseason to fully return from the injury. But he's paid and does not look like a WR1 

Just looking at the contracts

Wilson goes from $22m this year to $35.4m next year

Allen $7.25m to $20.25m

McGlinchy $6m to $18.5m

Powers $5.25m to $15.25m

Stidham jumps $3m

Singleton jumps $4m

That's $56m in cap space next year that will have to be found - there is a lot of creative accounting to be done.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Just looking at the contracts

Wilson goes from $22m this year to $35.4m next year

Allen $7.25m to $20.25m

McGlinchy $6m to $18.5m

Powers $5.25m to $15.25m

Stidham jumps $3m

Singleton jumps $4m

That's $56m in cap space next year that will have to be found - there is a lot of creative accounting to be done.

How is this even possible? Convert to bonuses or something?

31 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I'm a big time Jeudy skeptic, but he won me over last season. Obviously a unique WR and not a guy that is gonna be dominant, but he was quite easily the best offensive player on the team.

Sutton may have just needed another offseason to fully return from the injury. But he's paid and does not look like a WR1 

This is the last year of Jeudy's rookie contract (next year is the fifth year option) - they might be trying to move him because they won't have the money to pay him next year (or the year after).