Cowboys place franchise tag on RB Tony Pollard ($10.09M)

RaidersAreOne

This is such an incredibly stupid move. They drafted a RB in Elliot, he was effective on his rookie deal then began to decline on his second contract (like most RBs). So they draft pollard who begins to steal carries from Elliot. So now they're going to do the exact same thing? Just freaking draft a RB they are a dime a dozen. 

• Like 2

Not a big fan of this one. Yeah, they probably really almost need to have Pollard there for 2023, but there’s going to be some quality running backs available this offseason. They’re not all going to get paid, if any. I think this sorta locks them in to Pollard and gives him a ton of leverage to force another bad contract out of Dallas.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

This is such an incredibly stupid move. They drafted a RB in Elliot, he was effective on his rookie deal then began to decline on his second contract (like most RBs). So they draft pollard who begins to steal carries from Elliot. So now they're going to do the exact same thing? Just freaking draft a RB they are a dime a dozen. 

If they tag him and let him go, no biggie. Shows they actually learned their lesson. 10 million isn't that big of a deal for a single year. 

This is a very good draft for running backs, so they should draft one to split with pollard this year and then let that guy take over next year. My fear though is that they are going to restructure Zeke with a paycut, not release him. And if they do that, I have fear that they will actually continue to use Zeke, which is a bad idea. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

He has probably 3 years left. Dallas needs a new RB. Look at the 2024 class and just go with Zeke and Tony for now.

Zeke is an easy cap casualty this year. They'll probably draft one anyways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

Dead cap hit is 11 million for him being cut. Thats gonna be 21 million for running backs and then still needed to draft one.

Dead Cap number is overrated. June 1st designation for Zeke saves them 11 Million on the cap.

The real power move would be restructuring Zeke to remove the dead cap hit and then cutting him after

I personally don’t hate the retention of Pollard. 2nd contract for him, but he still has high tread and will be playing at a good level for a while. The argument that no super bowl teams needed a premier paid rb and have all had rookie contract rbs is irrelevant because the cowboys will never be in a super bowl anyway. 

3D Chess Move in play.

They Tagged Pollard only to draft Bijan and post June 1st cut Zeke. Then they let Tony walk in 2024 and have their Bell Cow on a Rookie deal the next 4-5 yrs.

Brilliant actually. Assuming they can actually draft Bijan of course?

Dallas can't go into 2023 losing both Zeke and Pollard, that would be worse then the Stupidity of choosing to pay Gallup over retaining Cooper last year.

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 hours ago, Forge said:

If they tag him and let him go, no biggie. Shows they actually learned their lesson. 10 million isn't that big of a deal for a single year. 

This is a very good draft for running backs, so they should draft one to split with pollard this year and then let that guy take over next year. My fear though is that they are going to restructure Zeke with a paycut, not release him. And if they do that, I have fear that they will actually continue to use Zeke, which is a bad idea. 

If it's bad for Dallas, it's good for America though. So there's that.