TE Outlook 2018

MacReady

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Speaking of TE's....

Would you rather have a Cook-type who is fast and can challenge in the passing game, or a Bennett-type who can actually block in the run game ?

Of course we'd love to have one who can do both, but given the unicorn nature of that combination - which skill set would you value more in 2018 ?

Pass catching or blocking ?

I think MM would prefer the pass catching option that can work the middle of the field and down the seam.  Rodgers I feel would prefer that as well

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Still boggles my mind why we walked away from Cook. He seemed perfect

Thought they could get a better player for the same/less money. Ted made a gamble, unfortunately it blew up in his face. That's how free agency works a lot of the time. In hindsight obviously we should have kept cookie

9 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Speaking of TE's....

Would you rather have a Cook-type who is fast and can challenge in the passing game, or a Bennett-type who can actually block in the run game ?

Of course we'd love to have one who can do both, but given the unicorn nature of that combination - which skill set would you value more in 2018 ?

Pass catching or blocking ?

Elite pass catching TEs who can't block set the market value for TEs. Elite blocking TEs who aren't a threat in the passing game don't make teams without being an elite ST player. 

This questions has been answered probably 50 times in the last 5 years. 

41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This questions has been answered probably 50 times in the last 5 years. 

Awesome

The question I was trying to ask was:  which skillset likely makes a bigger difference to a Rodgers-led offense in 2018 ?  Seems like a competent run- blocking TE would boost the Packers offense more than another pass- catcher.

When they grabbed Cook in '16, that suggested the Packers valued a TE who is fast/can catch more than a blocker

When they grabbed Bennett in '17, that suggested the Packers wanted a TE who can block more than a speedy seam-splitter. They've also tried bringing in an extra OLineman to block from time to time.

I was just wondering how the Packers would view the various FA TE's  this offseason as they try to re-stock the position.

Don't wanna answer it  ?    That's fine, just skip it and get on with your day

40 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Awesome

The question I was trying to ask was:  which skillset likely makes a bigger difference to a Rodgers-led offense in 2018 ?  Seems like a competent run- blocking TE would boost the Packers offense more than another pass- catcher.

When they grabbed Cook in '16, that suggested the Packers valued a TE who is fast/can catch more than a blocker

When they grabbed Bennett in '17, that suggested the Packers wanted a TE who can block more than a speedy seam-splitter. They've also tried bringing in an extra OLineman to block from time to time.

I was just wondering how the Packers would view the various FA TE's  this offseason as they try to re-stock the position.

Look at Rodgers run the table numbers with Cook, and his 2011 numbers with Healthy Finley and you have the greatest 20 games a QB has ever played in this league.

They didn't sign Bennett to be an elite blocker, those guys make Tom Crabtree money. They signed a guy they thought was going to be Jared Cook in the pass game with plus run blocking.

This is why I'd throw whatever it took at Graham this offseason. When safeties need to focus on the middle of the field, Rodgers simply can't be stopped.

44 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Awesome

It's obviously the pass catcher.

Bennett was never just a blocker. Bennett was a guy who was supposedly capable of doing both. Bennett with his head in the game is just as capable of a receiver as Cook is. Cook is faster, but Bennett's length is just brutal to match up against when you add his speed and leaping ability. Both have a history of crap hands and bonehead plays. 

The big difference was Cook was taking his adderall the back half of the season and Bennett was just looking for a check. 

Archived