Rams trade CB Jalen Ramsey to Dolphins for 3rd rounder + TE Hunter Long

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I get that his contract is huge but only a 3rd and a scrub TE for Ramsey seems like a big loss on the Rams side.

It's difficult to believe that no other teams were in on this when the price was so low.

After the Rams had to pick up the signing bonus, it's not even huge anymore.  Essentially a 2 year, $35.5 million deal, with a $19.5 million option (no dead money) for 2025 if he's still balling out at 31.  That's barely a top 10 CB salary for 2024 and I'm sure someone will be getting an extension or a FA deal that will push him out.  

16 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

After the Rams had to pick up the signing bonus, it's not even huge anymore.  Essentially a 2 year, $35.5 million deal, with a $19.5 million option (no dead money) for 2025 if he's still balling out at 31.  That's barely a top 10 CB salary for 2024 and I'm sure someone will be getting an extension or a FA deal that will push him out.  

It was huge for the Rams, that’s what he meant. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm just curious how they convinced McVay, Donald , Kupp and Stafford this was the plan, we're punting 2023? 

Let's not be mistaken, you are. 

Bc those guys trust the process. They aren’t punting on the season. The offense should be back to scoring 30+ ppg and all the defense have to do is hang in there try and make on stop or timely stops and win games 35-34. Then in 2024 with a lot of picks and cap space to lure players to a winning organization with a great coach and obviously it’s LA. But this season is going to be like 2020 minus a top defense to carry a meh offense. It’s going to be a meh defense being carried by a top tier offense in a weak NFC. 

Reading this thread you’ll think we went 2-82..

The greatest HC starts we ever seen! I mean brothers. I’m bothered by the comp and I explained my sentiments. The compensation was a joke. Just wish we would have kept Bwags. Because unless an injured free, 10 years younger Stafford walks thru that door we are as. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Bc those guys trust the process. They aren’t punting on the season. The offense should be back to scoring 30+ ppg and all the defense have to do is hang in there try and make on stop or timely stops and win games 35-34. Then in 2024 with a lot of picks and cap space to lure players to a winning organization with a great coach and obviously it’s LA. But this season is going to be like 2020 minus a top defense to carry a meh offense. It’s going to be a meh defense being carried by a top tier offense in a weak NFC. 

Your belief in that OL , running game and Matt staying healthy, is commendable.  I'll give you that. Especially with less possessions because your defense will be atrocious. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

the Dolphins fully guaranteed his deal as part of the trade, no option / no no dead money

This move screams to me that the Rams are tanking. Cut Wagner, Floyd, trade Ramsey, and likely more moves coming? Rams aren't interested in winning this year. They want to get some money to spend next year and be in play for Williams/Maye.

Unless they start adding guys/using ammo on guys in the next month, the Rams are definitely punting this season away.

• Like 1

Yeah Rams won a Super Bowl and are kind of just doing a do over....I actually like the idea...,if they tank and get Caleb Williams that would be amazing.....USC superstar QB in LA.....perfect.....I honestly would trade Donald, if he doesn't just retire

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Your belief in that OL , running game and Matt staying healthy, is commendable.  I'll give you that. Especially with less possessions because your defense will be atrocious. 

I am bc last year the Rams was so badly injured like the only way I see it as going to the Superbowl hurt them. The only two times the Rams have been badly hurt in the McVay era has been right after they had their long run to the Superbowl. Like I expect relatively health on offense plus additions to help improve the offense even more.

The defense wont be great but I want to see how on paper it looks bc idk how it will be come lets say Week 8 or Week 12 of the regular season. It could be atrocious or it could be shockingly decent enough. Thats why I say we should wait and see. This is just the beginning but the Rams do have a plan we just have to see it through.

One thing I feel like I've seen little mention of so far, is there really isn't much cap space right now leaguewide. Like, the number of teams that are even capable of fitting Ramsey's contract as is on the roster this year is like 10. Before free agency. A handful of those wouldn't be able to sign their rookies after doing so. Most of them aren't really expecting to be competitive within the confines of when Ramsey is really going to justify that money. So the cross section of teams that want to compete right now and can afford Ramsey is very small. And even then, your competitive teams typically have their own guys to retain. So like, the Bengals have the money, but do they really want to invest in Ramsey or save that for Bates/Higgins/Burrow? I know what my answer would be.

And sure, teams can restructure things and kick things down the road and all that. But part of why much of the NFL isn't cap healthy this offseason is because they already did those things. It's how the Rams got to trading Ramsey in the first place, after all. I think any team trying to unload a player more to get rid of their contract than to actually get rid of a player may see what seems like underwhelming compensation. I just think the cap space is more valuable for a lot of teams right now than anything else. The lack of return is less about the picks and more about the money, IMO.

• Like 6

It does kind of feel that we're happy to tank this season, get rid of anyone on half-decent money that's not called Donald, Kupp or Stafford to clear house ready for 2024 onwards. 

Understand these things happen, but it's going to be tough to remain engaged this coming season if we're getting torn apart every single week. I feel bad for Donald, Stafford and Kupp, honestly. None of them are young players, ok they have a Super Bowl to their name, but still very much elite players who probably won't be around once the rebuild is in full swing. Donald, in particular, must be raging at the situation because that side of the ball will probably be the worst in the league when all said and done. I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it a day before the season if we don't do anything to improve the situation, which I'm fairly sure we wont because this is the plan. No point him sticking around, if anything it's disrespectful to expect him to.