Broncos sign T Mike McGlinchey (5 years, $87.5M, $50M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, adamq said:

Yeah I'd much rather have Hargrave and a replacement level tackle than McG and an average idl

There wasn't much of a dropoff at RT when Tom Compton started like 8 games in 2021 when McG was hurt tbh

After that i had no interest in re-signing him. McKivitiz will probably be a slight downgrade next season, but worth the savings

• Like 1

Optimistic Bronco fan: "I can't wait to see what happens now that the Broncos gave McGlinchey this contract to pair with Russ."

Tayne: "I can't wait to see what happens now that the Broncos gave McGlinchey this contract to pair with Russ."

These two comments are not the same.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

That’s more than you should probably pay for a guy whose previous team made zero effort to re-sign 

Don't read too much into that. The 49ers simply aren't built in a way to afford him or need him that badly. Shanny's record when missing a starting tackle or two is weirdly excellent with the 49ers. Truly bizarre. 

McG was always going to be the guy that had a market in free agency, was going to get paid in free agency, is good on a rookie deal but had limited value at market rate on his second contract. I thought it was going to make more sense for an up and coming team with a ton of cap space to burn though where he wasn't efficient dollar value, but was immediately helpful to the team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Anything is an improvement but with amcglinchey sucking at pass blocking and Russ holding the ball for 10 seconds every play, not sure he and Powers will make a difference 

I'm kinda curious how this works out.

On the one hand, it sounds like a terrible fit on the surface.  But realistically...a lot of Russ's best work has come behind some kinda shoddy pass blockers, who can just kinda make chicken salad out of chicken ****, treating every play like a run blocking effort in random directions as Russ doodles around in the backfield doing spinoramas and whatnot.

Like...because he holds the ball forever, what he almost needs more than an inconceivably good pass protecting OLine that can hold up a perfect pocket for an unrealistic length of time every snap...is a line that can open up "lanes" for his short *** self to see and throw through.  After much dithering around in the backfield.  Like a perfect pocket isn't where Russ likes to hang out, that's boring.

• Like 2

If this is the number that Kaleb Mcgary is shooting for then they can keep him at this price.   I didn't mind spending extra on Lindstrom the dude was literally the highest rated O-lineman in the nfl last year on PFF.  True it's not the end all be all but it was sorta backed up with the all pro and pro bowl honors.   I believe Lindstrom was so good at OG that he helped Kaleb look better than he really is which to me is avg to a little above avg.    Really solid run blocker no doubt but below avg in pass protection and downright bad against good speed rushers.    12 to 13 a year is what i would go with Kaleb but 17 to 20 and no chance i would pull the trigger and if the Falcons do their crazy for doing so.

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

There wasn't much of a dropoff at RT when Tom Compton started like 8 games in 2021 when McG was hurt tbh

After that i had no interest in re-signing him. McKivitiz will probably be a slight downgrade next season, but worth the savings

Compton is awful though?