Aaron Rodgers intends to play for the Jets

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I misunderstood your point, I thought you were alluding to Gute increasing the compensation once the pressure turned up. My bad.

I think the smart move by them was letting them talk to Rodgers before negotiations.

Have to imagine they'd know it'd turn into this. Allow the public to put the screws to the Jets FO

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

That's not quite correct. The option bonus amount isn't on anyone's cap currently because it hasn't been exercised and paid. Once it's been paid, it will hit the cap of the team paying it. I'd imagine part of the holdup is the Jets want to revise his contract so the Packers pay part of the bonus before trading him, with the Jets paying the rest. That's allowable and the Packers could ask for better draft picks from the Jets if they are picking up some of the cap hit. 

Interesting.  The discussions I've had/read with others made it sound like the $59m is just cash owed once the option is exercised and doesn't count toward the cap.  I've read over and over again that the cap hit is $15.8m for 2023 and $32m for 2024.  This contract is stupid lol.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Interesting.  The discussions I've had/read with others made it sound like the $59m is just cash owed once the option is exercised and doesn't count toward the cap.  I've read over and over again that the cap hit is $15.8m for 2023 and $32m for 2024.  This contract is stupid lol.

If it's a dollar accounted for in the contract, it's supposed to be a dollar accounted for against the salary cap at some point (either current or specifically scheduled to be accounted for in the future).  That's how the salary cap mechanics work.  This isn't the NBA with a luxury tax that teams can just pay if they go over their allotted cap for a current year.

The contract very much looks like one designed so that the option bonuses could be prorated and spread over remaining years of the contract as they were exercised, hence the low base salaries relative to AAV for Top 5 QB contracts.  And this is why I feel like Rodgers, maybe not so much bargained in bad faith, but wasn't really paying attention (or stopped caring) about the deal he'd previously negotiated only a year prior.  The Packers and Gute designed that contract with the mind that Rodgers was going to play out the full extension with the team - allowing him to still get paid like a superstar while allowing them the flexibility to move around via cap-math to accommodate re-signing their own, making additional signings ad hoc, etc.  Rodgers is smart/educated enough to know that unless you're willing to make some sort of concession (either pay-schedule or actually taking less money - a la Boston Brady) you don't get to have your cake (get paid like a top guy at the most expensive position in the sport) and eat it too (have all the shiny toys you want - to also include getting your buddies paid well).

As-is, Green Bay eats the compounded remaining prorations of Rodgers' signing bonus (a shade under $25m at $8.1m/annum) and that isn't calculating in the proration for the '23/'24 season which is scheduled to be in the $12m range - and if Rodgers tries to force a trade, best believe the Packers will be coming after him to recoup some of that money.

This is why some of us have been so adamant that the Packers aren't going to just acquiesce and trade Rodgers according the schedule he wants, pre-draft (and not post June-1st when they could at least maintain the prorated schedule of the signing bonus cap hits they'd been planning to account for).  Moreover it's why, if they were even going to make a concession towards that schedule they'd need to be properly compensated (assets, be it draft or desirable players on inexpensive contracts).  Put simply, they're not eating a wholesale $25-37m hit against their '23 cap to trade away a player that, if kept, would cost them only $31m against the '23 cap - certainly not for simply a 3rd or 4th round selection.

The '23 option that has to be exercised by or before Week 1 of the regular season is ~$15m.  That can be passed along and exercised by a team trading for him (I believe, though one of the legal gurus with better contract language scruples than I have can better clarify), assuming the option not being presently exercised doesn't leave him in some sort of limbo and in order to be traded the option would have to be executed first (and if that's the case and Rodgers is trying to  strong-arm his way to only one specific destination, that's BEYOND a total Richard move).  Either way, options are bonus, so they're lump sums paid out at time of execution (and can be accounted for prorated-ly over the remainder of the contract where the salary cap is concerned).  If his current contract is traded, as such, in subsequent years he'll have ~$30.25m option bonuses due by the start of Week 1 each successive season through the 2026 season AND be due salaries of $2.25m, $15.85m, and $10m in those seasons, respectively, along with due $5m roster bonuses in the final 2025 and 2026 seasons.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Doubt this is the play here. You don't burn a bridge with a FO. You never know when you'll need to make a deal with that team again. Plus Jordan Love and Rodgers share an agent, you aren't going to want to piss off that group either.

There's 2 theories, #1 they legit didn't have trade compensation worked out because Rodgers was iffy on playing and they kicked that can down the road to now.

#2 They did discuss compensation, are close to or have a deal and this is more just working out with Aaron and the two sides how the finances will spread around. Is Aaron ripping up the deal altogether to make for a smoother transition? Is GB figuring out how much they can afford to eat? Stuff like that.

Aaron’s little tirade, manufacturing his chip on his shoulder for this go round…did plenty of bridge burning.  Last off-season I defended the guy to no end, this year, good riddance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

At No MF point do I think nor agree the GB Packers should  not only pay, BUT GIVE HIM AWAY  for free. 

This is what I’m explaining to my fellow fans. Packers cannot eat that dead money and give him away from minimal compensation. No GM who wants to keep his job would do that. We’re going to have to give them something of substantial value to get this done.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This is what I’m explaining to my fellow fans. Packers cannot eat that dead money and give him away from minimal compensation. No GM who wants to keep his job would do that. We’re going to have to give them something of substantial value to get this done.

Well we agree. This idea the Packers have absolutely no leverage, is beyond false!

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Doubt this is the play here. You don't burn a bridge with a FO. You never know when you'll need to make a deal with that team again. Plus Jordan Love and Rodgers share an agent, you aren't going to want to piss off that group either.

There's 2 theories, #1 they legit didn't have trade compensation worked out because Rodgers was iffy on playing and they kicked that can down the road to now.

#2 They did discuss compensation, are close to or have a deal and this is more just working out with Aaron and the two sides how the finances will spread around. Is Aaron ripping up the deal altogether to make for a smoother transition? Is GB figuring out how much they can afford to eat? Stuff like that.

Didn't Rodgers say on Wednesday that he was leaning towards retirement before that retreat into darkness and then being courted by NY?  

This move seems really weird to me. Just can't get a grip if it's going to work out or be a disaster. I see so menny diffrent ways this can go. Really excited for this next season.

Most of me want's to see chaos with the end of Rogers career even though I generally like the guy.

With is wired becuse I absolutely hated Brett Favre but wanted him to ride in to the sunset with a ring at the end with Greenbay back in the day. And then wanted to see him do good after with Jets's and Vikings. 

Im a wirdo lol.

Packers supposedly want 2 1st round picks? I think he's probably worth a 3rd. It'll be incredibly interesting to see what happens. I would LOVE it if everyone balked at the price and Aaron showed up back in GB.

Edited by nagahide13